Go Bottom Go Bottom

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-23          126580

Has anyone out there purchased one of the new 06 Honda Lx or Ex Civics? If so how do you like it and what kind of over all gas mileage do you get with it?

We drive about 25,000 miles a year and hate to keep puttting miles on our 4 Runner and Tundra especially since they only get about 16- 17 miles to the gallon and the Tundra already has 120k on it.

The only down side I have read about the Civic is the road noise. Also looking at the Corolla. Read that it is quiter but does not handle as well.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-23          126581

Hi,

I have a Tundra and a Honda Pilot. My wife and I test drove the 2006 Honda Civic EX last fall. I had a hard time pulling my wife out of the dealership, that was the most fun to drive car I have been in for a long while.

Honda EPA ratings are usually pretty good, however if you are in a hilly area like me in the country you can figure the city rating is what you get locally.

I have also driven the new Corolla, and it is nice but not in the same league.

Honda Cool fund to drive

Corolla nicely made econo box

Just my 2 cents, they are both good cars.

Dennis ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-03-23          126582

Check out the NEW Dodge Calibar with the CVT, over 30 mpg and starting price at $13995, must see to beleive and it is worth a test drive... It is very beefy and has built in Voltage Inverter, 4 20oz beverage refer, illuminated cup holders, CD, and drop speakers plenty of room AND you can get AWD.

Hey! I work for Dodge what can I say? ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-23          126584

I haven't had a civic since '84 but as a mileage example our 2003 4 cyl Accord got 32 mpg on a recent trip to Florida doing 80 mph with the air cond on. The new civics have the same HP as our Accord (160) so they must really fly. If you want more, try an SI model. They put out 200 hp and rev to 8500 RPM! :) I joke with the young guys at work that I'm going to buy one and turn it into a "tuner." They just laugh and tell me I'm in the "wrong demographic."

The road noise in a Honda is noticeable but seems to be very dependent on tire tread. We just put new Bridgestones on because of the better winter tread and they are quite noisy compared to the factory Michelins.
Dave ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-23          126596

I rented a Jibe/Matrix last fall (Corolla). The main problem I found the hard way is the brakes. With the drums in the rear and no antilock it really has a hard time. If I was going to get one I would spring for the discs all way around and the anti lock. ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-03-23          126597

The Civic EX has 4 wheel antilock disc brakes. ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
NuclearEd

2006-03-29          126844

I purchased a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid on Nov 30, 2005. Love it. Has voice command navigation system. I get about 44.5 mpg all around - a little better in the city and a little worse on the highway. ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-29          126845

How is the accellartion when you start off. How far does it run electric power. ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
NuclearEd

2006-03-31          126979

The Civic Hybrid has decent acceleration. Whenever it is moving the gas engine is running. Basically when accelerating the electric motor is assisting, which helps with gas mileage. When the car is travelling at a steady speed the engine charges the batteries. When braking the electric motor turns into a generator and further charges the batteries. Whenever the car stops, the engine shuts off and restarts instantly when taking your foot off the brake. Mine actually gets better mileage around town (hi 40's) than on the highway (low 40's) - but probably because i drive too fast on the highway. ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-03-31          126987

Funny, my VW TDI gets better milage without all the electronics, batteries, and other EXPENSIVE to repair BS found on these hybrids. (Average 47 mpg city and hwy combination) Wait untill yor hybrid is 5 years old and the batteries need to be replaced. ($ticker $hock!!)

When someone comes out with a true diesel-electric driven vehicle (a-la diesel locomotive: efficient engine-generator tied to traction motors at the wheels) maybe I'll take notice. The idea of a DC pancake motor/gen between a gas motor and tranny of a normal car is all marketing hype (hyp-brid?), in my opinion. Like the previous poster wrote, anything more than short city commuting and you'll get nothing from all the $$ you spent. ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
NuclearEd

2006-04-01          127001

glad you like your VW. i am not trying to sell you a Civic Hybrid - but i like it. to each his own. ....

2006 Honda Civic EX

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-06-07          130602

My brother and his wife have a Honda four door with about 140,000 miles on it, and an older Acura Integra four door with 250,000 on it. (Expedition is parked for those Sunday outings...slurp slurp)

They recently decided to check out the new Honda line up as well as the Acura line up, very impressed with both. However, after doing alot of research, found that they REQUIRE either 91 or 93 octane to properly run. This seemed far fetched as one could imagine, hence the research.

Apparently what happens, is that by running the lower (87) octane, it will take considerable longevity off the cat converter, valves, etc, and over time adds up to big bucks lost.
For the most part they are similar cars, as Honda is Acura's Momma, however, one comes with timing belt, while the other comes with timing chain, just as an example. Again, though similar vehicles, quite different at the bottom line.

They are still contemplating which to get. I saw the pics on their digital camera - darn sporty looking machines.

In either regards, with the postive expereince and success that they have had with the two previous, they undoubtedly will stick with one or the other.

- Willie H ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login