Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fertilizing Lawn in June Good or Bad

View my Photos
Fatguys
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-06-06          200368

I read once that it could be a bad idea to fertilize too early in the spring as it encourages too much top growth, and that it ws better to wait until early June.

Well we had lots of snow this winter and we got some snow nitrogen green up without fertilizing. But now that has waned and the lawn looks like it needs a shot.

But as fate would have it we ar ein for a heat wave ahead.

I am in a situation where I have NO irrigation capability so it is always up to mother nature to work things out.

Going to do it Monday. Will let you know how it turns out, using Lesco product.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2021-06-10          200375

No idea where you live nor the type of grass but here (Near Myrtle Beach SC) we try to fertilizer before June. However, this year my guess is few lawns were for we went from real wet fall and winter to April and May with about 1 inch total rainfall. The last week of May we began with normal rain, maybe little more than normal and the grass began to grow. Thus now is the right time here this year.

I am a person who believes plants are much more tolerant of water and fertilizer varying than many people think they are. ....

View my Photos
Cheymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2021-06-10          200377

Fatguys,

I think you will be OK with just fertilizer.

One of my neighbors put weed and feed down in July one year during a drought and that devastated his lawn as he could not water it and ity killled the grass as it could not take the trifecta combination!

Best of Luck. ....

View my Photos
Fatguys
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-06-24          200394

Looks like I really lucked out had some rain but not so much as to wash out.

Then a balance of hot and cool temps.

So the lawn is the best it has been in years.

July usually burns it out pretty good.

I will probably hit it again in late August to mid September. While Lesco says each treatment is good for 45 days. Since I have not fertilized in ten years that seems excessive :-) and would have me doing it in the middle of the hottest part of summer.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login