Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone use Turfgrid

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-11          156031

We have a couple of hills that need erosion control (in addition to the retaining walls we are building). Anyone use this stuff? This link doesn't have much info on it but there's a pic.

Link:   Turfgrid

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Anyone use Turfgrid

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-12          156045

Acres and acres of it every year. It's used at places where wheeled traffic has to cross a small area of turf on a regular basis.

We put it in front of areas like the front of the club house or pro-shop, in and around the gate into the golf cart corrals where the constant traffic would decimate turf in short order otherwise.

What do you need to know?

Best of luck. ....

Anyone use Turfgrid

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-08-12          156048

I'm a little curious how it is installed, whether it will work on hills, how it would hold up to occasional tractor traffic with R1 tires, and what the downsides are (if any). ....

Anyone use Turfgrid

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-12          156049

First things first, installation, it can go anywhere, flat, slope or even to line an area that is subject to occasional flooding like spillways or dry creek beds. The voids can filled with topsoil and grass, sand, pea-stone or gravel.

It is installed just like you would put down any other interlocking paver.

I have successfully used it in areas where it is subjected to loaded 5 ton trucks (receiving area behind the clubhouse kitchen) on a daily basis. No problem after a few years of that kind of traffic.

The only downside I've found so far is that when it's installed over undisturbed sub-soil and filled with topsoil and then turf, the openings at the bottom are marginally large enough (the holes are about half the size on bottom as top, to increase footprint) to allow moisture to wick up, this combined with the heat of the stone itself means in a drought the grass is prone to browning off badly.

It also means that fertilizing on at least an annual basis is absolutely required. Application rates are also a little tricky since only 40% of the surface area is turf, so you need to put down just 40% of the recommended rates.

If you need anything else feel free to ask.

Best of luck. ....

Anyone use Turfgrid

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-08-12          156051

Thanks, Murf. As always you are a source of very useful information.

I am planning on putting it down, filling it with topsoil and letting the native grasses and weeds grow in it. ....

Anyone use Turfgrid

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-12          156053

Thank you for the kind words.

If I may suggest, put down a liberal amount of grass seed, or plugs of turf. If you let nature take it's course I doubt you'll end up with 'native grasses'.

Best of luck. ....

Anyone use Turfgrid

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-08-12          156057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 156053
Thank you for the kind words.If I may suggest, put down a liberal amount of grass seed, or plugs of turf. If you let nature take it's course I doubt you'll end up with 'native grasses'.Best of luck.

It wouldn't be any worse than the other "landscaping" we have. Heck, we let anything grow as long as it's not Blackberry or Scotch Broom :)

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login