Go Bottom Go Bottom

how to change a govener

View my Photos
lot0210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-05          149909

Anyone know how to change the governor on an Jacobsen 1200 hauler golf cart?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

how to change a govener

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-08          150063

I'm not familiar with the power train on that unit but some are easy and some are not. What does it have for an engine? ....

how to change a govener

View my Photos
lot0210

2008-01-08          150068

Not sure but it is a small engine 2 stroke with gas peddle ignition .but I think the engine is made by Jacobsen as well.

how to change a govener

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-14          150215

I didn't know they made an engine! ....

how to change a govener

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-01-15          150222

Lot0210,

If I'm not mistaken, your Jacobsen 1200 Hauler has a Kohler engine in it.

Kohler
9 horsepower
twin cylinder
4 stroke,
295cc displacement
air-cooled

If you can find the engine ID tag, you should be able to go to your local small engine repair shop and get the proper parts. It is not necessary to go through Jacobsen.

The governor is a rather simple device, but most of them contain a number of small parts. Installing these small parts correctly, and in the proper order, is very important. You'll likely need a service manual in order to perform this job yourself, unless you just plan on replacing the entire thing.

The governor should have a plastic gear on it. More than likely, this gear is either broken, or worn out. Repair kits are available, but I don't know if any instructions or assembly photos are included.

Joel ....

how to change a govener

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-15          150224

First off, a short history lesson is in order.

Jacobsen, along with other 'brands' of turf equipment such as Ransomes, E-Z-Go & Cushman that are part of the Textron family of companies, they also make Bell helicopters, Cessna aircraft and Lycoming aircraft engines.

The brand names were shuffled a few years back and the unit you have is now built by Cushman as the Turf Truckster.

The drive train in your unit should be a standard E-Z-Go unit (although some were built by others), and yes it is a 2 stroke, that way they can create 'reverse' by reversing the polarity of the 12 volts DC going to the starter/generator on the engine and that makes it crank and run in the opposite direction, you can't do that with a 4 stroke engine.

Any place that sells golf cart parts on the 'net will have what you are looking for. Just go by the model number cast into the engine block.

Best of luck. ....

how to change a govener

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-01-15          150228

Murf,

I'm not sure how old his machine is, but the info I've found seems to suggest that the Jacobsen 1200 Hauler utilizes a 4 stroke engine.

The spec sheet posted below shows a 11 horsepower, 4-stroke, air cooled, made by Robin Subaru. The info I pulled up earlier seems to suggest that a Kohler engine was used.

Without a serial number, finding the proper info might be fairly difficult.

Joel ....

Link:   Jacobsen Spec Sheet

how to change a govener

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-15          150230

In the OP he called it a "golf cart". There was 2 1200 models, one was a heavy golf cart wiuth a box, the other was a serious hauling machine.

The one you linked to is there, but that is a 2007 model, I doubt he has anything newer than the 80's model.

I was going more from his description in his profile where he says both a "Jacobsen turf utility vehicle" and a "Cushman turf truckster". So he must know the difference between the two.

If I can get the model number, it should be something like 803969, and the serial number, I can look it up.

Best of luck. ....

how to change a govener

View my Photos
lot0210

2008-01-29          150919

Hay haven't been here in a while any way its the 05-06 model 1200 hauler. candoarms is right finely found the correct spec sheet sorry for the confusion. Any way we already have govs on the carts i just cant seem to figure out how to set it so we can move just slightly faster on the carts. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login