Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rope Fence for Pool Yard Entrance

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-10          149189

I have a winding stone path through some gardens that is the entrance to my poolyard. In the winter it becomes icy and hard to walk on so I decided I would put 2" manilla rope from 4x4 post to post to give me something to hold on while at the same time looking nice. The posts are in and have been set in concrete and can be cut down to height later on.

I see 2" Manilla rope is fairly pricey at about $150 for the 50 feet I need. Does anyone have any ideas for something that will look nice and that I can pick up in a junkyard? I imagine I could look for heavy chain but would prefer rope over chain. I know galvenized pipe would be safer and stronger but it wouldn't give the look I want. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-11          149202

I've never been a big fan of those rope 'fence' things, IMHO they give you a false sense of security, if you actually try to use it, it swings & sways so much it's nearly worse than not having anything.

If you want an actual hand rail, find some 2" pipe from an old sprinkler system and use some T's and flanges to mount it to the sides of the 4X4's.

If the posts are high enough, leave them full height and put some lights on top.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-12-11          149206

That hauser is designed to moore the Queen Elizabeth. For just a handhold, there are large-link chains of white plastic -- lightweight, visible, weatherproof, and inexpensive. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-12-11          149212

Like Murf said about the sway of rope or anything else threaded through a post or pole is dangerous. If you MUST use the rope-type stuff or even chain, the intentional or inevitable slack between posts will result in more slack when tightened when someone grabs it. The way around that is the "handrail" would have to be secure at each post whether by a fastener or wrapped around it and threaded back through the post. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-11          149215

Crunch

How about steel cable? I have lots of 1 3/8 that has no broken wires showing. That would give you the rope look and it's stout enough not to flop around if you grab it.

You could paint it with a very heavy coat or 2 of a oil base porch paint.

We live close enough so I would have no problem meeting you someplace around Orange County. Of course would have to look in the big show room there. You could even buy lunch...:-).

Harvey ....

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-11          149222

Crunch
I have been doing something similar- the price of 2" was too high for me also, so I decided to down-size and go with multiple strands of 1". To tighten it up, I use splices around a turnbuckle. The manila will stretch early on, but eventually you would be able to get it as tight as you need it.
I'm getting it at Tractor Supply, special ordered 300" spool for $210. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-12-11          149226

Thanks for the advice everyone! I know that this will not be so safe. I was figuring that maybe if the rope was thick enough and frozen in the winter it might be a minor assist. I will look at the links option. Harvey - thanks for the offer! But I am not so sure I would go for steel cable. We are in the neighborhood and someday I have to see that monster splitter of yours!

Klein, I agree on the price and had a similar thought. I am not in a rush and will go to the local surplus store next weekend and look around. Murf, I do intend to put torches on some of the posts, as I have them all around the poolyard now. Next I want a giant artificial palm tree and a Tiki bar. (Almost joking) No need to go to the Carribean for vacation. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-12          149237

Just wondering, how long will Manilla rope last in your weather?

If you wanted to help redude the movement you may be able to run rope through PVC. Then you would have no idea of the rope's condition and cost may be as high as metal pipe. Depending on how close your post are heavy PVC may work.

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-12-12          149249

So far, here in North Texas the sun has darkened the rope but nothing falling apart yet. The rain will help stretch it out- that was kind of what I was refering to. Mine has been up for about a year.

Most of the ropes I'm putting up are not used as railings, but rather curbs. I have them running through cedar posts about a foot off the ground to deter cars from driving on the grass.

View my Photos
crunch

2007-12-12          149252

KT, 2" rope is not cheap. Probably pipe would be cheaper. My wife had a good idea, we could braid 1" rope. But we will do some more thinking and searching. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-12-12          149256

If you want to get really nautical, you can splice 2 or even 3 lengths of triple braid together. This would make a much larger rope, but you need to be a pretty big knot geek to get it done. Actually, once you figure it out, it's the same sequence over and over . About 500 times. If candoarms sees this link he'll probably hunt down the web site that shows you how to do it! ....

View my Photos
MiikeJD

2007-12-12          149259

Crunch
I bought palm trees from Designer Palms inc
I think they are located in Kansas
They are made out of galvanized steel and copper
They are made for interior use and exterior
If you want aditional information let me know and I will find a brochure