Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-22          131243

Any opinions on hedge trimmers? I had a cheap Black and Decker electric that my son borrowed to help at his boss's place and burned up the motor. I looked at gas models but they weigh a ton. I don't have a lot of trimming other than a row of hemlocks and a few bushes. Another cheap electric may be the best alternative for me. But I am not happy with the rough chopped up look my bushes have after I trim them.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
DenisS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-22          131244

I've had a couple. They're only good when they are sharp, which is not that long. For electric ones you also always have to keep an eye on where the cord is. I chewed up mine twice. I eventually switched to hand pruning - I think it's healthier for the shrubs, but it won't give you a smooth hedge look if you're looking for one. ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-22          131246

nrucnch,

I have used electric and were okay but cord being clear was an issue and not much power. Purchased a pro Husky brand gas and boy what a difference. Two points there: if you don't have a lot to do or often you may wish to rent, two they are very dangerous. Fingers and any thing else that sticks out will loose.

The weight really is not an issue as you are moving so much and cutting so fast you don't hold them out there near as long as the electric ones. If you buy gas buy quality and be sure you have the job of cutting and not totting. ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-22          131248

If you want a good excuse to upgrade the fleet, here it is!

The more serious lines of weed-wackers have inter-changeable heads, including a hedge trimmer attachment.

They are heavier, no question, mine is about 20 pounds, but it doesn't bother my arms or back nearly as much because the gas engine is at one end and the cutter and shaft at the other, one sort of balances the other out.

Besides, having one less engine to maintain is a real advantage. Especially if you're trying to keep your "Cylinder Index" down to a spousal-safe level.

Best of luck.

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-06-22          131249

Thanks for the comments. I will have to do some thinking on this since I really don't have lots of trimming and the cylinder index has become high. Maybe if I let my son borrow the equipment more often I can see my way to buy some more multi-function toys! ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-22          131250

Murf's suggestion on the multiuse is very good. Be sure you buy a good one as you will add to that motor. You can get all kind of tree pruner, hedge trimmer, string timmer and light weight tiller and some other things.

Suggestion, buy them for your wife as she is such a sweet person who really wants a good looking house and yard. You may need to get the blower attachment for inside the house use. ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-06-22          131257

Murf and KT

The smartest people I know. ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
WillieH

2006-09-06          134002

ncrunch32 -

Much like yourself, I found myself needing to do something as my old reliable trimmer died, the hedge trimmer was to cumbersome, and the trees grew too tall to reach.

I removed all my grass, and replaced with various colored landscape stone, dug up all the hedge and buried it, and cut down all my trees and split the wood for this winters firewood! TADA - - - ALL DONE !! LOL

Seriously, after doing alot of research, I eneded up buying a Stihl FS90R trimmer, with a straight shaft assembly. This unit offers a quick change head (two set screws) to change from string head, to 22 inch hedge trimmer with 130 degree angle adjustment capability, to a 12 inch tree brach pruning saw attachment. One can change attachments literally in a five second count.
I love it, and wished that I had such a tool some years ago.

Murf made a great point that I had struggled with as well. The hedge trimmer, though certainly heavier by comparison, offers a counter balance weight that makes the hedge trimming a snap. For grass trimming, the unit is so well balanced, it glides along any edge very easily.

What is nice also, is that this unit is a four stroke engine...REAL easy to start, and can barely hear the thing run.
Stihl even has a easy start retro kit available for folks that have difficulty pulling cords for shoulder or back problems.

I can honestly say, this thing was well thought out - I love it!

~ Willie H ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-09-08          134216

I used to use a gas-driven trimmer from Sears. After a few minutes of use I couldn't feel my arm from my elbow down due to the vibration. And they're not quiet either. I gave it to my buddy who now uses them to trim my shrubs (gee, that doesn't look good written down!) ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
cutter

2006-09-12          135137

Love Murf's suggestion relative to the dual use equipment. I need a new trimmer, the Toro is beat. One thing I would be careful of is that the blade spacing is large enough to engage the largest branch that you trim. I found that an issue with the Toro. ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-13          135144

Cutter, Toro does that on purpose in the homeowner line of equipment.

It is the result of one of those "silly circles" ...

In order to keep the weight and price down, they have to run a smaller motor, in order to make the smaller engine actually cut anything and make it 'perform' like a Toro, they have to limit the size of material it can cut.

If you find a dealer that has both Homeowner and Pro lines, look at the basic Pro machine, about the same money, but a lot more machine.

The Stihl equipment is top drawer stuff too.

Willie, glad it worked out for you too, I really like mine!

Best of luck. ....

Hedge Trimmers

View my Photos
cutter

2006-09-13          135146

I did see some other brands with larger spacing after I purchased mine, including the one you mentioned Murf. Believe it or not, B&D came out with the electric Bush Hog model right after I bought mine and those things had almost double the blade spacing as my home model Toro. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login