Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to make landscaping edgers boders

View my Photos
iowaguy1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-15          122799

I like the premise behind this:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200305199&R=200305199

Click on the "See Larger/More Images" link and it shows you a 'mold' to pour concrete in to create a landscaping border.

Would it be plausible to make these molds yourself?

I think I would enjoy customizing my landscaping border myself. But I'm wondering how you get the colored concrete and how to make the mold/framing to pour the concrete.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-15          122825

The colored concrete is easy you can buy concentrate at the local building supply. If you mix colors it can be a little difficult to stay consistant.
You can also just purchase a dark colored latex paint and mix it in.
If you have a reinforcing bar bender you can easily bend up U s to provide the width and position. If you make them longer you can drive them into the ground to hold them in place.
You can purchse the thin plastic sheet at US plastics, a kitchen supply or possibly a building supply. You can also use oiled thin plywood or Lauan. ....

View my Photos
iowaguy1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-15          122826

Thank you for the reply.

I don't quite understand a few things:

1) Are you saying just paint the concrete after it dries?

2) I will need rebar? What do you mean by U's? The concrete will need rebar in it to maintain strength?

thanks. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-16          122833

Iowa, no the concentrate is either mixed into the concrete, or sprinkled it on the surface after it is placed. Mixed in works better.

The re-bar that was mentioned is not for putting IN the concrete, he meant to use as stakes to hold the forms in the desired place.

As for moulds, all you need is strips of thin GOS plywood painted with a release agent. Masonite or cheap panelling works well too.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-16          122835

The color concentrate you buy for the concrete mix is expensive. A cheaper menthod is to purchase the color concentrate for exterior latex paint, if they will sell it. If the latex is a dark color you can mix it in. The small amount of latex will tend to act as a crack modifier.
Murf is right I was talking about using the bent bars as stakes, but you can use wooded stakes with the lauan or thin plywood. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login