Go Bottom Go Bottom

JCB 1400B Sitemaster Review Problems

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-09          107640

I am looking at buying a JCB 1400B 3cx sitemaster. 1990 model with 4000 hours all original and in good overall cond. Almost have the wife talked into it. I now murf has one similar, looks like the main diff is his has a more European style side shift hoe. Is there anything I should pay special attention to when looking at it? Any known problems that JCB has other than not holding their value very well(I look at that as a positive since it is used). I fell in love with JCB's years ago after operating one for several hours as well as a Cat and JD. They really seem to be gentle giants with lots of power and smooth hydraulics. 4 in 1 bucket, flip down forks, extenda hoe. I would much rather have a 214S with 4 equal sized wheels, but budget is limited.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-09          107647

You rang ? LOL.

Everything you supposed is true, they are very well thought out and built machines.

I don't know what you are facing in the way of price, but up here that machine you described, including the nifty side-shift hoe, a must have IMHO, would cost you about US$20,000 to buy.

The one in my pic.'s (# 3) is one of several I own. When it came time to up-grade it was in too good a condition to give away, it had been operated by the same person since day one. I retired it to my 'personal' fleet and bought a new one for the company.

I have never had any serious problems with any of them, they work very well and are very easy to operate, very 'user friendly' if you will.

If you are looking at a used one, the things you want to watch for is, a good maintenance record, no welds on the loader or hoe (a sign of overload or abuse), very little sway or slack in the pins (a sign that it lacked regular lubrication), past that just pay attention to the little things, does it look like it's been cared for or thrashed, is the owner conscientious or would they have neglected the machine.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any more questions.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-09          107655

The machine came out of Cat dealer in upstate NY so the paint is the worst part of the machine, Most things look rusty from upstate NY if they were anywhere near paved roads. I guess trading for a new cat was a step down from the JCB. Almost no white is visible on the roof and the front bucket and boom are so-so paint wise. Some pins and bushings have been replaced on the hoe and it is pretty tight. All glass good all lights and heat work. No leaks which says a lot. tires all good. All fluids/ filters were changed recently but questionable if records are available. Price seems in line at $16500 max, maybe cash talks ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-09          107666

Sounds fair enough.

The only other item I might mention is with regard to the hours on it. The British are not famous for their 'mobile electronics', just ask anybody who ever drove a British car. Many sports car types firmly believe MGB stands for Might Get Back.

The JCB uses an electronic instrument cluster. On some machines the central cluster justs stops working. This means you have no speedo or tach, no biggie, you will NOT get a speeding ticket or over-rev the engine, LOL, but it does mean that the hours meter stops working as well.

I have seen machines like this for sale, one I saw had so much wear on the bucket itself the lead edge between the teeth had worn back about 1.5", the hours meter said it had 5000 hours on it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Pyro-1955

2011-07-03          179270

I happen to have a 1400B and It has been a great machine except for one issue. My wife ran the machine for an entire day while we were cleaning one of the horse pens, the next day, fuel was low, I added fuel, now it will run fine until it gets warm, then it will suddenly rev up, then die. I then have to give it a shot of either to start it back up, once it cools, it will start wth either and run fine, until the engine temp goes up again, anyone have any idea what is causing this? I've been checking fuel line connetions, all seem fine.... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login