Go Bottom Go Bottom

To finish or not to finish

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-08-03          132946

Whats your opinions on finishing cedar ceilings/walls.
I went into a house that a lady had built for her. Huge ceilings with dormer windows the whole ceiling is in t/g cedar. Wonderful looking job (as she is a multi millionare). She did NOT have it finished. ? I asked why and she told me that no one in her home smokes, she dont cook in her kitchen (up stairs). She did not think she needed a clear finish put on it.
What do you all think? I will be putting in a wood ceiling through out my house. Do not know if I will use pine or cedar (I am leaning towards cedar but have seen some real pretty pine interiors)
Do you think a clear finish is called for if no one in my family smokes?

Which do you think would look better with Oak cabinets? LOL

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-03          132949

Man; Do think we are the queer eyes? I put a clear Minwax water based acrylic on the my yellow pine ceilings. Without the finish it will go very yellow. I have not placed any finish on my cedar, but most of it is in the closets and is aromatic eastern red. I would suspect that western red would take a lot of finish. It took 3 coats for the pine and cypress. Applied with a lambs wool pad it goes on quite quickly. In most cases I have seen western red cedar unfinished. I have a water sealant for eastern cedar tub surround, but have not applied it yet.
We have a propane stove and wood pellet stove so both will add nitrous oxide in the air to yellow the wood.
I found pine cabinets to go with the pine ceilings. My mom and dad's house has a lot of different woods together. I would not recommend it. If I was going to use red cedar ceiling I might go to a cherry finish. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-04          132950

I agree with Peters, don't get into mixing and matching woods unless you have a good eye for it. Oak has a very strong character - hardly matches with anything other than itself.

I had pine ceilings on my porch, unfinished, looked just fine to me. I think your wood will age prettier if you just leave it like it is.

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-04          132955

There is no wood that looks better than good finished oak. Stained and finsied! As to mixing more than one wood, it depends on the quality of the wood. If you look at very high quality wood it will often mix very well in a room. The cheap or man made stuff will conflict terribly. True on the wall or with different pieces of wood.

There are some many things to affect the wood and it's color over time: Moisture, sunlight, oil or dirt on your hands or anything else that rubs or touches it.

I suspect you will find wood left natural or unprotected in a few years is the wood you ask, wonder why they painted wonderful wood? As to the cedar in closets, for the value it gives to moth prevention, it is not only left unprotected but often is sanded to open up new pores in the wood for renewing the effect. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-04          132970

Oh that's a tough one. I used a T&G pine ceiling in my home office. I sealed it with a single coat of clear urethane from Minwax. That yellowed it up but didn't require any staining. I love the look. Since it's the ceiling, it goes well with the oak cabinets, oak desk and oak bookcases. The colors are such that there is plenty of contrast so they work well together. Plus the different locations help.

I think wood mixing gets ugly when it's side by side and is too much or you have two very differeny busy grain patterns. Oak is a very busy grain pattern so I would avoid using another wood that also has a busy grain pattern. I would love to have a cedar ceiling or a closte done in cedar. If I didn't have to, I'd probably leave cedar unfinished. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-08-04          132972

I have a room with T & G cedar. One of the walls has them at a 45 degree angle. The others are horizontal. I used a natural min-wax stain on the cedar and then covered it with two coats of poly in a satin finish. I had the boards sanded at the shop to get them smooth. I have Andersen windows and patio doors. They are trimmed in pine. I matched this with a birch min-wax stain for an almost perfect color match. This room is adjacent to our kitchen and somewhat open. We have hickory kitchen cabinets done in a honey stain. This all matches quite well. The cathredal ceiling is done in white to keep it bright. Lots of windows with white vertical blinds. That turned out well. We have a table and hutch that has some light birch stain mixed with a white finish that also blends. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-18          133470

I have seen pine t&g that is ployied with the water base. It keeps it white looking and does not yellow it like the oil base poly. Me thinks it looks real nice, especially for a cieling since it would be bright. I love the cedar look though. BUT Damm clear cedar is spendy!. I figured that the hickory cabinets and maybe hickory flooring would look great with cedar half walls and ceilings.
Thanks for some ideas ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-08-21          133544

If I had to re-do my kitchen now, I'd go with Hickory - that's a man's wood! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login