Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-10          131945

I got a note in todays mail from our LP supplier, pre pay for winter is 1.40 per gal. Just wondered if that is about in the ballpark for the upper midwest. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-10          131951

I am not sure for your area, but good for the southeast. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-10          131952

Not sure about your area but that's a great price for the Pacific NW. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-29          133795

Its a pretty small park for upper midwest.
Northern Wisconsin, as of Aug.2nd,,,, $1.69 a gal. and I also rent the damm tank from em at $42 a year!
Im holding out this year for the Sept. down swing in prices. ROTFLmao ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-08-30          133798

A friend just bought 1000 gallons at $1.69 here in Michigan. Rumor is that gas prices are going down, we'll see.

I put a deposit on a corn burner furnace last week for my farm house rental. It is 71,000 BTU that will hook into the furnace and use existing ductwork. Total installed price is about $3,000.00. Current furnace uses about 1,500 to 2,000 gallons of propane in a heating season. I can get a heating energy credit this year on my tax return, and write off the purchase of the furnace. The house is surrounded this year with 40 acres of corn. It is a win situation, I think! ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-08-30          133811

We bought a new 1000 gallon tank for the new house and filled it right away about a month ago (early August). $1.29 per gallon.

By the looks of things we did pretty well.

('Broken - Email me and I will give you the name and # of these people.) ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-09-13          135176

AV8R
I still rent my 500 gallon tank that is in Ladysmith area. Costs me about $42 a year, they take care of it BUT I get the price of LP jammed down my throat. I figure I pay about a dime more a gallon than most folks that can shop the free market. I have Lakes Gas
HEY HEY HEY!!!!
I played the market and ONE!!!!! Was about to buy in Early Aug. at that rate I told you all about. I was worried it would go astronomically high this year! ROTFLMAO
Looks like I got lucky and called it right, NOW, How LONG DO WE WAIT till we buy buy buy!!!!!! What yer prices now? ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-09-13          135178

The best strategy for buying is to buy in-between our tank refills. My timing is always way off. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-14          135186

Check with your insurance company, or maybe Kenneth can fill us in, but up here, most insurance companies ask specifically if you own or rent the LP tank in the yard.

There is a good reason too, if the tank is rented, and leaks, and causes a big boom, it's the tank owner that is responsible. If that is not the same person who's house blew up, the insurance company has someone to go looking to for retribution, except they call it subrogation, LOL.

In my case I pay $60 a year for the tank on my shop heater, but the insurance company said it would be about $70 a year more in premiums if I owned it, so I actually save $10 a year by renting.

Besides, if it's their tank, they pay to maintain and or replace it when it gets older. Up here they have to be recertified every 5 or 10 years. This is free with a rental tank, they just send a 5 ton truck with a crane out the same time as the tanker, they switch tanks and fill the new one for free.

Best of luck. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-09-14          135190

Murf

Not starting an arguement, but I didn't know Propane Tanks exploded, never heard one doing so. Usually they take off like a Rocket or spin on the ground. Mine was hit by lightning a few weeks back and where the propane was leaking was on fire, I went and turned off the tank. It was like my Propane Torch (small ones) and I didn't feel there was any way for the flame to back into the tank due to lack of Oxygen. Maybe I was closer to getting my Wings then I thought.. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-14          135191

Wing, you are right, and I should have been clearer.

LP tanks don't go boom, they store a lot of gas that will. Since propane is heavier than air it will settle and stay there in calm conditions.

As for your wings, depnding on the size and kind of equipment you have, and the leak, yes you migh have been real close to getting your permanent wings. Most newer tanks have a flashback preventer in line right next to the tank, if not, under the right conditions the flame can, and will run back inside the line and go ka-blooie!!

It is actually the most hazardous when the tank is nearly empty, since it is the vapour not the liquid that is flammable.

A house not too far from here had a close call recently, the LP pool heater caught fire while the owners were away, it melted the line to the heater, that in turn mae the whole thing into a very large blow torch, when the tank (a few feet away) reached the critical temperature it left with a bang. It landed on the road (a few hundred feet from where it left from) just as the volunteer fire fighters showed up.

The article in the local rag showed it split open like an overboiled weiner, and quoted the fireman as saying that he was amazed at how far it had flown.

Best of luck. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-09-14          135192

Murf

I should have played the lottery that day. Now I won't sleep for a week. j/k

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-09-14          135196

I'll have to ask our insurance man about a discount on rented propane tanks. A lightning rod salesman stoped by a few years ago telling how I could get a cheaper insurance rate on my house and buildings after he put the rods up. I called the insurance carrier, they said it made no difference the rate was the same with or without. Frank. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-10-18          136044

Now that the gasolene price has dropped significantly since we last talked, has anyone seen a huge drop in LP prices yet? I know the oil derivitive or what ever,,,,,, so it should be going down right?
I am going to call tomarro and check on price. The reason for this is the unstable atmosphere in North Korea and the world relations. I know they dont have the oil but if anything starts happening militarily by any countrys, I think this would be an excuse for the price of all fuels to rise? Maybe not? I dont know BUT I think I am going to cut and run (or buy) Was gunna wait till I felt fuel hit rock bottom, but I feel I saved enough cash already by not buying in Aug at $1.69. I will let ya all know in 24 hrs if I bought and for what price.
Wondering if any of you think this crap in North Korea may force the prices back up again? I sure hope not! ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-07-12          155251

Fast forward to 2008------> Hi ya'll I just filled my tank at the lovely price of $2.27 per gallon. Im not chancing anything this year. Got burned bad last winter with the hard cold we had. I run down to 3% in late Feb. Didnt plow for most of that time and had to get it dug out to get a tgruck back in the woods! OOPS! I paid a premium and I will not gamble this year!~ ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2008-07-12          155252

LP max price capped at $2.649 per gallon through May 2009. SW Ohio. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-07-12          155255

We just filled up with a couple hundred gallons at $2.49. We may replace the water heater and dryer with electric models soon. Electric rates here have gone up about 40% in the last eight years while LP is up 300%. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-07-12          155258

I better see my bill before I post that price again. This is what I was told it was the day before the 4th. She told me to check the level and call her, I told her to fill it and this was 4 days later.
I will be looking into one of those ceramic thingys this year to help out ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-13          155260

One dealer was 2.09 prepay before June 15th., another dealer is 2.19 but doesn't take prepay. Both dealers will honor their prices for the season long as they keep you full on their regular route, if you call them for a trip to you only or if you run out they charge fifty dollars extra for the trip. Frank. ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-07-13          155282

Hardwood
Wow, that is great. They actually honor a set price for the season? Tell me that it is more like a "set monthly charge based on previous use? I would think they would need to buy X amount of LP at a price and they must have a clue? If this is not the case, how do they do that? My dealer/supplier has a rate that will fluctuate daily sometimes. If you need it in Dec. and you did not pre buy gass, your gunna pay! ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-14          155286

Broken; My guess is they both lock in their cost with LP contracts on the board. I buy from both dealers, on takes care of the house and shed at the farm and the other supplys our vacation home. The guy that I prepay in June just goes by the amount you used in the past season times the agreed on price and the other guy that don't take prepay you just pay for the number of gallons at the agreed price whenever he comes by to refill the tank. Frank ....

Pre Pay LP prices

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-14          155292

Murf, it has been a while since I sold property insurance but can not remember the question on who owns a proprane tank being asked. It could be new, it could be more of an issue where proprane is more common than here. Big tanks are not very common here as most heat here is electric heat pumps.

Will quickly agree if the tank were to fail you would prefer it to be rented. The damage possible could cause could be more than your property even if the tank itself did not explod as WW questioned. WW, was your tank hit or something else? It would seem if the tank was leaking and on fire you could not turn it off.

You would be surprised at some claims due to such. Had a Claims VP teach a class a few years ago and she used examples of claims in her teaching. Some were so funny. kt

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login