Go Bottom Go Bottom

what mower is quot best quot by type

View my Photos
David Krawetzki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-10          50892

Summery:
I have inherited about 12 acres of land in mid MD. Approximately 3 acres is field brush (need to cut 4 or 5 times a year), 4 is lawn (cut weekly or as needed). I have been looking at the NH – TC29D. The salesmen said that the 60” mid mount (under belly) rear discharge is best.
Dilemma:
1. What is better side or rear discharge? I want mulching blades.
2. NH has many different types of mowers available, what is the difference? IE: mid-mount mower, flail mower, rear finishing & rotary cutter?
3. The property needs a lot of work and is hilly (12 deg. slopes), is the TC29D capable or should I look at something smaller or bigger? I do want a loader later and would most likely “play lumber jack” to do some clearing and would like to rent a rear mount chipper as needed. Can this PTO handle a chipper?
I have never needed to purchase a tractor before, but now with my father gone I need some good advice. This is a large investment and I certainly don't want to waist my money. Thanks!

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-03-10          50921

Dave, I am in a similar situation. I have 20 acres to work with. In your position, I would look at a TC33 and check out the Super Steer model to see if it would benefit you. It is the same tractor as the 29 with four more HP. The MMM will be fine for your front acres, but the more you go out back, the more it will be in the way. All of them are difficult to remove.
IF you don't have a lot of obstacles in your front lawn, I would go with a 3 PT rear finish mower. You won't need to mulch with a rear discharge, because it won't windrow as much as a side discharge will. You shouldn't mulch every time anyway. You will need a rotary cutter whan you go out back. It handles the rough stuff better. They are bigger and heavier than the finish mower and will even do a very good job finish mowing if you keep the blades sharpened. Flail mowers are expensive and used mostly by highway departments and golf courses. Go with 60" for the TC29,33 for RFM and Rotary Cutter.
I would not normally hold off on the Front End Loader. In the case of the TC33, they are coming out with a new, much nicer model than the 7308. I would make a deal NOW for a percentage off when they are available. Look at a TC24 and TC35,40,45 with loader. then look at the TC33. The newer loaders do not obstruct vision like the older models and are much more capable. The TC33D will handle a chipper fine, and better than the 29. ....

View my Photos
Dave Krawetzki

2003-03-10          50923

Thanks for the time to respond Pacesetter. I think I'm leaning towards the 72" MMM rear discharge. I'm still not sure about the clippings. Would it tend to leave trails if I skip a mowing. Sometimes I know it will happen, have to work & pay bills (like this toy)! ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-03-11          50959

Dave, before you go with the MMM, have the dealer take one off and on for you. Then remember you will have to do that when you do your rough stuff. I also started looking at a MMM combo and EVERYBODY talked me out of it. A rear discharge will not windrow like a side discharge. Downside is a good side discharge will give a better cut because it creates more lift. I would try the rotary cutter first. It MIGHT be acceptable and you will save $2500 or so. The dealer should be willing to bring one out to your property for a demo. eMail me privately regarding the NC dealer. ....

View my Photos
Dave Krawetzki

2003-03-11          50996

I should have mentioned that the "Little Womans" also needs to operate this NH. I have concerns of the Her learning curve to an implement that is pulled. She is an expert with a Sears 22hp with 52 inch deck. I think that she should be OK with this step up. All though she has mentioned to just hire someone when the time is needed to do extra ground work (other than cutting). She really feels fine with sticking with the little tractor. I think she is actualy afraid of ANYTHING bigger. I look back to when she frist learned to use that OLD Sears lawn mower(%&^%$#&%^$). I have a problem hiring anyone to do something I can do myself. Although you know the shoe makers son... Guess I do what I can and try to keep peace too. I hope to show her the tractor soon, but with the atitude my NH dealer has taken (see early message) I'm thinking of looking at the Green. Wow!
Dave ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-12          51008

For what it's worth... I mow about 3 acres of finish and 1 acre of brush and trim along creek. I use a 72" landpride side discharge, 3ph. I have the hi-lift blades and cut at 2-3". Very minimal wheel tracks if I keep the ground speed down. The chute deflector is removed so I have a even spread of clippings. If I want to mulch I would mow with the deflector down, wind row then install a cover over the chute to block it (any piece of sheet metal will do with a couple of bolts) and run back over the wind rows speed according to desired results. MULCHING is a slow process. The creek and brush is done with a very low priced rotary cutter a couple 3 times a year as time permits.

With your acerage I would seriously consider the loader initially...

My wife trims with a push mower, a antique JD lawn tractor and uses the string trimmer. I do the grunt string trimming around pond and ditches etc... Keep your small tractor they are great around the small areas and is a good back up mower. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login