Go Bottom Go Bottom

FarmPro 6 wide floating finish mower

View my Photos
CHEESEBALL
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-13          169987

Yep, I know, I know....After using bush hog products for the last 30 years...decided to try a cheaper brand.

Here's the deal...After an 1 1/2 hour installation time..I realized that the front mower deck tires will hit the rear tires on my AGCO ST41hp 4WD tractor.

Real unhappy about this....I'm going to have to weld new
mounting brackets on the mower deck to re-position the front deck wheels all the way to the outside edge of the mower deck.

Well...shame on me

Buyer be Ware

as always
older than dirt and twice as smelly

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-14          170003

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESEBALL | view 169987
After an 1 1/2 hour installation time..I realized that the front mower deck tires will hit the rear tires on my AGCO ST41hp 4WD tractor.

Seems to me it would be a whole bunch less hassle to just use some form of extension, like a quick-hitch, to move the mower back a few inches.

A finish mower is hardly likely to put a massive strain on the 3pth, you could probably get away with just using tube steel that slipped over the 2 lower arms with holes for the pins.

Most mowers have little flex arms to keep the mower floating, does yours not have these, if not add some, or extend the ones you have.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-14          170012

So your wheel mounts are welding on and not bolted on?
Is it possible your mower is missing the floating arms some use? If you are having such an issue do check your pto shaft length is correct.

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-04-15          170031

Thinking about this a little more, many of the wheel mounts are a one piece for the front and rear wheel on each side. Is it possible they were installed back-wards or what should be the rear wheel is on the front side? Even if not back-wards if they bolt on you might can turn them around and solve the problem. ....

View my Photos
HERRDOG

2010-04-19          170130

Ok....no big deal.

Yep...the wheels are bolt on and are interchangeable front to rear...no other adjustment.

I went to Tractor supply and bought two weld on extensions for the adjustable links....they are exactly 3" long...I welded them on with a stick welder and right now....that appeared to fix the problem...I did have to extend my top trailing link to exactly 37" long.

For the record....even if I drill new holes on the flange
where the front wheels bolt on...there was not enough clearance between the tractor tires and the deck itself.

well...live and let learn ...I should have stuck to a better brand name ...my next purchase is a flail mower...

any of you'al have any experience with one.?

GOD bless all of you for taking the time to respond...sometimes I am just too busy to answer somebody but you guys taught me to take the time

thanks again

your servant
Herrdog ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-19          170135

Matter of fact, I just finished rebuilding a 74" flail a coupla weeks ago. Need to work on the paint job now, before it starts getting too hot.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
HERRDOG

2010-04-20          170144

Hey thanks for the comeback on the flail mower.....I was checking the other discussions on flail mowers and did not really see any in depth discussions.

I am planning on cutting in a cross country running track at my church....I am using a small finish dozer for scraping the small saplings and clearing the fallen timber but I would like to purchase a 6' wide flail mower for the
field area which has a rough terrain with very small pines
( maximum of 2" diameter ) and I'm afraid that my bush hog
rough cut mower would take a beating cutting the field.

What do you think on the flail mower doing this job?

as always
your servant ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-04-20          170146

Being the owner of an 84" finish mower, a 74" coarse cut flail, a 72" medium-heavy rotary cutter, and a 60" light-medium rotary cutter - I'd say a general duty flail is the wrong tool for 2" pines. A heavy duty rough cut flail - the kind with hammers and/or chains - would do it, but then you are stuck with too much machine when the initial clearing job is done. Plus, you can buy several rotary cutters for the price of one HD rough cut flail. This shouldn't stop you from investing in a flail, but I think a general duty model with knives would suit you better in the long run.

A medium-heavy duty 6' rotary cutter behind 40-45 PTO horsepower will make short work of 2" pine. Let the RC do the grunt work chopping up the pine. Once that's done, a less expensive coarse cut flail will work just fine. Don't bother with the fine cut models, they're for landscapers and golf courses.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-04-20          170169

Just how many of those small pines are you needing to take out? If you use a rough cut mower there will be nice sharp stuble left and not what you want for running track. If there are not a lot of them how about a good weed eater with blade on it? As to how major a flail mower you need for up to two inch pine, I have cut a fair amount using one with good cast cutters and no issues. If it were two inch oak, different issue. Back to have done it but don't recommened it have cut up to about four inch pines with heavy duty rough cut mower. Slow and steady. If you don't mind driving over it with your tractor, my guess is a rough cut mower will handle it.

If you have a lot to cut consider hiring someone who has such as a skid steer with the front mount mulching cutter on it. ....

View my Photos
HERRDOG

2010-04-21          170185

Wow!....I just want to Thank You for all of the information.

This really is a good site.

I reckon I'll spend the money on a new rough cut mower.

I am getting a small finish grade dozer off of a friend to actually help clear thru the woods where the scrub pines are located....I'll probably move about 2" to 3" of dirt with the process....after I run the dozer thru the woods...I'll do the finish grading with the tractor and implements.

I have down this in the past for a 3 mile cross country track at my son's school...Landmark Christian School...and it turned out nice.

Thanks again

I am overwhelmed with your honesty...

If you'all need anything ..give me a shout 678 378 0158

older than dirt and twice as smelly

GOD Bless

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login