Go Bottom Go Bottom

Countryline Finish Mowers - Any Good

View my Photos
farmerjo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-13          163412

Hi all: Great Forum! Hoping for some help...

got a John Deere 709 (2002) w/ PTO and am looking for a good finish mower to cut about 6-8 acres of decent grass....fairly level. Not a lot of $'s and having been looking at the Tractor Supply Store in Dover, DE.....the price (approx $1500) appears to be abou the best I can do (must other places are advertising about 2-2.5K for a finish mower)....question is are the "Countryline mowers they sell (5 or 6') quality untis?

Aside from the obvious 1' larger cutting area are there are advantages/disadvantages I might be missing?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
farmerjo

2009-06-13          163413

Make that a JD 790 (not 709 - sorry) ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-13          163417

No real idea the quality of that mower. But have you looked for used finish mower? You may save from a 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new one and have a top brand.

You want a mower at least as wide as your tractor wheels, but a narrow mower is better if the ground is not level. If just rolling that should not be an issue. A wide mower allows cutting the edge of a ditch keeping your tractor further from it. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-06-14          163420

I've never heard of that brand so I can't comment on them. Iowa is a long way from Maryland but as an example there is a 60 in. Landpride on Craigslist today from Cedar Rapids for 1200.
I have quite a bit of Landpride equipment myself and know their stuff to be top drawer. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-14          163429

Be sure what ever brand you go to buy that you find out about replacement parts and I don't mean asking a clerk at TSC or such. TSC here stocks very few parts. If you need a seal or a spindle or belt or blade you don't want to wait a week or more for it to be ordered and that is if they can.

If you consider a used one you want the manual or need to get one if possible. Be sure the gear box oil is at proper level (often a small pipe pug) and the sinpdles are tight. Should come with PTO shaft. It is proper to ask to see it work before buying. ....

View my Photos
farmerjo

2009-06-15          163457

all good info....thank you.

I'd like to find something used to save the dollars but I'm coming up short on craigslist and local adverts.

I bought my John Deere 790 at a place run by Lucky Phillips up in PA and there was an amish place close by called Weaver's (I think) that had tons of 3pt attachments by King Kutter, etc.....don't recall if they had used or their price on new stuff.

I'll keep lookin. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2009-06-17          163477

I use a 3 pt hitch (sitrex)/Italian 72 inch rear discharge finish mower for my 790 because of the industrial tires and love it//no clumping of grass it lays it down nice //uses less hp than a side discharge (better when the grass gets high or extremely wet)and I would say that I could have bumped up to a 84 inch version with no problem with the rear discharge.
2002 was the last year for the 30hp rating. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login