Go Bottom Go Bottom

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-15          177986

I am too young to retire at 58 but 70 hour work weeks took a toll on me. So after 33 years I retired and returned to work as a contractor. Now that they have to pay for my hours they are very concerned that I don't work excessive hours. So I am pretty happy with the deal. However, I only have a 6 mo contract so have to begin getting new engagements pretty soon.

It was time to begin another phase of life. I figured I will have to work forever so I might as well learn to survive on my own. I set up an LLC (Clear View Statistics) and hopefully will fill in some time before this first engagement ends.

I hope to see more tractor time this year. Last year I extended a neighbor's lawn, planted some trees for another and I have some projects for other neighbors this year. All are free work just to make sure I have some friends :)

I have begun to sell some excess stuff in my house. I am getting my wife to clean house. And gone is my precious Gravely lawn tractor. I have my old beer making supplies for sale. Time to downsize. But my tractor will be here until I can't remember what it is.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-16          177987

I hear ya I'm in the window but no way do I see surviving on my 401, savings, SS and military with this scum bag in the white house and the really worthless garbage this state sent back to the senate. 2012 hopefully will clean out the rest of the vermin and get us back on the right track.

I'll see what it looks like at 65-66. BUT I do have to say I get up every morning and look forward to going and play in the big sand box. Some days are not great fun but if it was easy anybody could do it.

Enjoy the Consulting and stats.

GOOD LUCK withe Retirement. ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
crunch

2011-04-16          177988

Thanks Harvey. I can't begin tapping the 401K yet. Also, the big corporation capped my retirement income years ago so its just enough to pay taxes and health care. I am one of the lucky ones. Today's younger employees get a 5% salary match and thats it - no 401K.

We are going to have to learn to live on less. This was a gamble that I could lose or just remain even. After watching buddies peel away with cancer I just decided that I would rather have less and end my years being more in charge of my time. ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-04-16          177993

Congratulations, but I gotta say, with you starting a consulting business you don't sound very retired to me! ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-04-16          177997

"Retirement is the most jarring and disruptive life change. The retiree loses purpose, occupational identification and self-image, ...."

So I said in my guff-filled lectures in developmental psychology. Then I hit 65 and got kicke -- excuse me -- retired.

Traumatic? Baloney. Changes: don't have to get up before I want, no more migraines, needn't check my fly's zipped, costs for lunches, haircuts, clothing and drycleaning dropped to zero, my fuel to half. It's been the best decade so far. And I can spend time as I wish. Like blathering to you good people. ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-16          177999

Hope it works well for you. I am only months behind you in age and retiring is not in my thoughts then my business allows for it to fit my want to.

It is as anything else is, what you plan for and make of it. Most people who retire become hard to find, no spare time, don't know when to get it all done.

Have a great one! ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-16          178005

I never wanted to retire, I'm 70 now, but an injury at 64 forced me to slow down. I've got friends who act like a giant weight was lifted off their shoulders when they retired, now they sit around down south somewhere doing nothing.
I tried golf, a bit of travel, went down south for a while, couldn't stand it, I had to get home to do something. The Mrs. don't like to travel, she is happy staying home reading and tending flowers.
My Father lived to be 95 and never missed a day at the shop till he was 90.
Long as I'm able I want to continue doing something productive.
Frank. ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
skipll

2011-04-17          178012

Retierment---Well I'm 99% retired ---self employed carpenter 67 year old. I don't miss going to work everyday, people callin all the time & forgeting something at the lumberyard after I got back to the job. I don't miss baby sitting helpers ( rarely had them) & don't miss some asking for estimates ( I never gave estimates --nope). And I now rise at 4:30 am --ready to go--used to get up bout 6 am.
What I do miss is going to town for supplies--always saw some friends I know at the lumber yard or a eatin place.
Sometimes I wonder how I got everything around here while I was still working----cause now there is still all that stuff to do & I never catch up.
Don't have much & coming in---just SS. & small retiremnts. I have gone from the saving mode to the spending mode & if I see It--want it --have the $ in the bank ---I buy it.(Yes I have saved some over the years)
Now if I don't feel like splitin wood or weedeating etc. I just hop on my ATV & go for a ride. Or take my backhoe out for a play. (100 HRS. on it in 6 months--love it).
I don't watch TV or take naps----But then being retiered is doin what ya want. ;) ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-04-18          178030

The one thing I found with my Mama and in laws when they retired (Dad passed away younger than I am) was trying to find them! LOL ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
Johnvandenberg

2022-09-19          201315

At 66 and an easy job. I might stay at work and watch people work.

My mom was 96, and said:"I still feel young."

But I made a few changes.

Use a John degree mule to haul firewood. Paid 500 dollars for a q cyl diesel motor, paid a guy 500 to put it in. I call it my wheel harrow on steroids. At 4x4x3 it goes through a gate close to my backporch. Easy to get the firewood.

Bought a finish mower. For my small Satch buck Mitsubishi 2 cyl diesel tractor. Now I don't have to pull start. Or crank a forever failing Briggs and Stratton. The diesel walkways starts and moves 5 foot wide. As short as a lawnmower. The rest I spray to kill...

Installed a seat in the shower 10 years ago. Only used it a few times, but hey.

Run the water from the washing machines 4" to 3/4" come up at my fruit trees. Every time u was clothes, water the trees.

Run the water from the shower. Sink bathtub to the trees.

Run the water from thevac units 10 gallons a day. To fruit trees. Distilled water.

All that states out if the skeptic tank. Only toilets go there. Drop yeast in there. Don't flush bleach. Wipe it up burn paper towels.

At 65 started riding bike to work. Running bamgs the knees to pulver. Circle movement is much better. Takes me 35 min. Not bad.

Worked in s slowet job, sat down for 1 hour. Couldn't get up. Now I just not retire for exercise.

Have pigmy goats. My walking weed eaters. Smaller to handle. Can't kill you.

Store food. Hide weapons. Made a curve in my driveway. Plated clumping bamboo for fences and v erosion. Not the rhizome ones. They are uncontrollable.

Planted mullein for tea. Also around my outhouse. The Roman's used it as toilet paper it's soft and absorbance.

Ordered 50 female chicks. Will have eggs meat or barter soon this winter when the shtf.

Bought safe hanging wall candle holders with glass so u can burn candles. Light safely. Without fear of danger.

Bought 3 solar panels 500$ three batteries 500$ charge controller $500. Inverter 500$ but can now charge phones. Make coffee. String 12 v lights through the house.

Put in a pitcher pump. Can live without food fir a while but not water.

Bought a 75$ dollar windmill 25 $ controller. It charges 1 battery fir a waterpump. Catch rainwater from the roof filling a 500 gallon tank.

Working on hydroponics.

Should retire to finish projects...

But have fun either work or home.

Serve Jesus. Volunteer each Sunday in a prison for 20 years talking to men on death row.

Life is good when He leads you.

Wrote two books. Not sure if they will allow links.

Johnvandenberg at juno dot com

Maranatha. ....

Link:   Why retire. To much candle to burn. Projects to do.

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Retired - Whats Next

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
crunch

2022-09-19          201317

So here I am 11 years later at 69 years old. So after 34 years at IBM, I drove my tractor to help people for a year, did short stints as an appraiser, loading medical databases, working at Lowes in the garden center and now I am in my 8th year as a professor with 2 more years to go. My first wife passed away unexpectedly 5 years ago and now am remarried to a wonderful woman. My JD4310 tractor is at my son's house and I now have a NH workmaster 25s for just around the yard. Life is a wild roller coaster ride - you never know where you are going to end up. ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
charlieK

2022-09-19          201318

retired at 60----now 78 and loving it ....

Retired - Whats Next

View my Photos
boatmoter

2022-10-10          201355

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch | view 201317
So here I am 11 years later at 69 years old.So after 34 years at IBM, I drove my tractor to help people for a year, did short stints as an appraiser, loading medical databases, working at Lowes in the garden center and now I am in my 8th year as a professor with 2 more years to go.My first wife passed away unexpectedly 5 years ago and now am remarried to a wonderful woman.My JD4310 tractor is at my son's house and I now have a NH workmaster 25s for just around the yard.Life is a wild roller coaster ride - you never know where you are going to end up.
I also retired in 2008, I found out I work just as hard and only retired from a paycheck.. but it's nice to still have something to do ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login