Go Bottom Go Bottom

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-11          162675

Seems a(?) red squirrel has nested above my garage in the crawl space, heard it munching in the eve today. Pulled the stairs down and entered, noticed a couple of mouse traps had tripped but no mouse, so I did the low crawl until it jumped up about a foot in the air in front of me. Bet I took a couple years off it, hopefully I'll remove the rest of them tonight!

Set two heavy duty rat traps loaded with peanut butter. If the mouse traps didn't train it to stay away, should be hosta la vista tonight. Going to pick up a live trap tomorrow in case it avoids the rat trap. Sounded as though it made it between the walls when I was outside grilling the steaks, fortunately not in the house yet.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-12          162681

Don we had red squirels bad used pounds of rat poison they keep moving in die in wall and smell.

Some one dropped off a couple (or they just showed up) junk yard cats. Those 2 cats keep red and gray away from all of the buildings. Only draw back is they do like to watch the bird feeders for a bird that not paying attention. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-05-12          162682

Mothballs. They used to raise havoc in the feedroom of my barn. Until I put mothballs in the vicinity of all possible entrance points. No more tree rats in my feedroom. Keep 'coons out too. If the critters don't come in in the first place, the eventual smell problem is avoided. Unfortunately it doesn't work on mice.

//greg// ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
cutter

2009-05-12          162683

We already have the ferrel cats, they seem to have missed this one. I saw it outside a couple of times over the last few weeks but did not have the shotgun handy. As of nightfall, it was still moving around over the breezeway in the eve and back wall. Hope the trap works today. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-05-12          162685

Cutter I had to change your subject as @$%^#^#&$ was making my programs sick :( Might have to fix the special character handling someday!

Dennis ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
Murf

2009-05-12          162686

I'd be happy to loan you the guaranteed squirrel removers.

I'd be happy to loan you the guaranteed squirrel removers.<br>
<br>
[p]http://tractorpoint.com/ctb/memberPhotos/murf4.jpg[/p]<br>
<br>
The tree rats have two choices, leave the area fast, or leave this world fast. LOL<br>
<br>
Best of luck.

The tree rats have two choices, leave the area fast, or leave this world fast. LOL

Best of luck. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-05-12          162688

Thanks Dennis, the reply dialog works now.

A few years ago we had a bunch of scraping noises in the attic. I bought a couple of live traps and ended up pulling an entire family of ten squirrels out (mommy, daddy and eight little ones) and relocated them to a park ten miles away. They got in by climbing up through the gutter drains and then entered a gap under a roof overhang where three roof planes came together. I stuffed that with copper wool and haven't had any more squirrels. The animal control people say that the squirrels will chew through copper wool but it has worked so far.

However...

now we have bats in the attic. They need to go. The wildlife control company wants $3400 to find out how they're getting in, installing one way doors so they can fly out and not return, then removing the doors, sealing the gaps and cleaning the guano and urine out of the attic. What a mess. To make matters worse the state won't let them do the work until September, when the little ones have grown up and are flying. ARGH.

I suspect they are getting in through gaps in the ridge vent since the roofing company did such a crappy job. Their name is "RoofMasters" but I call 'em "RoofBastards".

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-05-12          162691

What kind of state do you live in where BATS are protected? Good grief, they're just flying rodents!! Gas the little suckers and be done with it

//greg// ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-05-12          162692

Oregon, where the only species NOT protected is taxpayers.

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
Murf

2009-05-12          162693

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_g | view 162691
What kind of state do you live in where BATS are protected? Good grief, they're just flying rodents!! Gas the little suckers and be done with it//greg//

Yup, I'd be 'accidentally' setting off a gopher bomb in a coffee can with a couple of inches of sand in the bottom up there in the attic.

Best of luck. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-05-12          162694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 162693
Yup, I'd be 'accidentally' setting off a gopher bomb in a coffee can with a couple of inches of sand in the bottom up there in the attic.Best of luck.

Yeah, well, the mistake I made was in calling an exterminator. Now they have my name and address. I thought there were mice up there and boy did I get the evil eye when they saw bats stuck in glue traps intended for mice. It's nothing like the look my wife gave me when she found a dead bat in her shoe :) ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-05-12          162695

If the last California Condor roosted in your attic and you killed it would that be OK? Not saying that this is the case but States have endangered species lists because we (taxpayers) have decided to attempt to preserve the species our forefathers could not have cared less about.

Those of you who have ever hunted deer in Indiana can thank people who reintroduced the animals after they were hunted to extinction in that state in the 30's and 40's.

To quote someone else here "I'm jis saying" ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-05-12          162697

Hey, I'm bat friendly. I just wish they'd move into the house I built for them five years ago. It was built with advice from the bat folks (color, height, direction, isolation from surrounding trees). I even bought a half pint of guano to spread around their house to attract them but they'd rather live in the attic. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
Murf

2009-05-12          162700

The problem is drawing the line between pests and wildlife.

As a 9th generation farmer, I have no problem with wildlife, in fact we spend a lot of money every year making things better for the wildlife in our neck of the woods, and no, not to lure them in for hunting season either.

However, an attic is not exactly prime wildlife habitat.

BTW, according to the Oregon DFW there are no endangered species of bat in the State, there are however 5 varieties of bats which are listed as a "species of concern".

A lot of places have over-reacted on the whole wildlife thing.

As an example, the law up here is that I can (live) trap wildlife that is a nuisance animal and relocate only to a maximum of 6 miles away from where it was caught. Beyond 6 miles I'm breaking the law. It's legal however to kill it. Figure that one out.

Bottom line, bats in your belfry are a serious health hazard if left there.

Best of luck. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
cutter

2009-05-12          162708

Sorry about the title issue Dennis.

What a day, was up at 0 dark 30 working and then had to get ready to head to a meeting. Checked my rat traps and no squirrel. Locked house and was walking with my planner and laptop to vehicle and the damn thing ran into the side yard. Raced back in, retrieved soon to be illegal weapon in NYS but it was out of sight when I returned.

On my way home picked up a live trap, squirrel sized. It's up in the attic now, loaded with bread and peanut butter, hope I catch it so I can conduct a scientific experiment as to how long a tree rat can hold its breath. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-05-13          162720

Mothballs? Not trying to be unkind here Greg, but that is an urban legend.

I have tried it..... either every moth I catch is a female or the damn things have their balls where I can't find them. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
Murf

2009-05-13          162721

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 162720
Mothballs? Not trying to be unkind here Greg, but that is an urban legend.I have tried it..... either every moth I catch is a female or the damn things have their ball where I can't find them.

I agree.

Of course Deputy Dog is still of the opinion that when he gets to heaven he will get his back. ;)

Best of luck. ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
cutter

2009-05-17          162798

Well, hopefully this good news will last.

This past week has been the second career from hades. So much going on I had no time to devote to the rat other than to make its life miserable, so that is what I did.

During my brief stops at home between daytime training sessions and evening meetings I beat on the wall in the breezeway where the thing nested. I did this every time I walked in or out of the house. Even came face to face with it when placing the trap up in the attic.

Late in the afternoon on Wednesday after beating the drywall like a drum, I heard it squeal and scramble out of there, so I grabbed my weapon and headed to the woods where it normally exits under the woodshed. Never saw it. Came home around ten that night and beat on the wall, no rat movement. Checked traps, no rat. Waited another day while continuing my wall soundings but no movement detected.

Made a trip into the attic late Thursday and found nothing. At that point, I plugged the hole in the soffit inside the woodshed where it made entry.

Just returned from our fire company fundraiser, no rat in sight. Guess I made its life a bit to miserable, imagine that :)

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
harvey

2009-05-18          162808

Don do you suspose that would work on some of the lifer welfare rodents around here? ....

That Darn Squirrel

View my Photos
cutter

2009-05-18          162824

We will never know, the guberment will ensure those votes are there for them and not allow "work" to come between the rodents and a free meal.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login