Go Bottom Go Bottom

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-16          161097

Yesterday the Mrs. was using one of those propane lighter things to light birthday candles. I got to thinking about all the resources that were wasted to build, fuel, package, ship, etc, just to replace something as dependable and simple as a match. What's your most worthless gadget?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-16          161112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 161097
What's your most worthless gadget?

A watch.

Even if I cared what time it was any closer than "about 10" there's probably 12 other timepieces around me at any given time, computer, vehicle, phone, PDA, wall clocks around the house, the list is endless.

Best of luck. ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-16          161119

Hardwood, probably will miss the spirit of your question here but Washington. At same time the most costly.

This really makes you think. For our gas grill the lighter you think of as worthless is wonderful. For candles would agree with you.

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-03-16          161122

I hate those stupid(!!) computer chip embedded keys and the whole concept that you must haul around a remote control to get in the dang car.

I want a key that will fit on the key ring without taking up the space of four other keys and in my pocket without cutting off the circulation.

And how about the old fashioned idea of putting an actual key/lock on the passenger door and the rear hatch? DUH? ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-03-16          161123

I agree with Mark's list, and will add TPMS sensors that need to be reprogrammed by the dealer. It's way too costly and a hassle so I just tape over the stupid TPMS idiot light.

Other worthless gadgets? We've got a ton of unused ones in our kitchen drawers and cabinets. ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-03-16          161125

Kenny (sound of small electric motor) I just heard a satellite turn toward you!

Seriously, (and off topic but specific to Kenny and the Goobermint) a friend of mine, a laid off automotive tool-and-die maker about a week and half a go sent a nonthreatening email to Obama--just blowing off steam and asking for help/relief in our region. About less than two days later (he sent me the copy) the New York Times called him--on his UNLISTED cell phone and asked him for an interview! He obliged and it was printed last Monday (I think). Not less than a day after the interview---BUT BEFORE the article went to print--he got another call, this time from the local Detroit FreePress asking for an in-person interview and photo op, which he gave. (Arrrrg! This boy don't learn.)

Coincidences? (sound of electric motor turning my way now) :( ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-03-16          161128

Sure it's a coincidence. And the media is independent and totally detached from the administration too. :-( ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-16          161129

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 161122
I hate those stupid(!!) computer chip embedded keys and the whole concept that you must haul around a remote control to get in the dang car.

Ok, now that's one of the few I actually like and appreciate!

I think being able to get in the car, and have it start, and then turn off and re-lock when I walk away from it without having to even take the key out of my pocket is the first truly practical gadget!

Now if my house and shop door locks & alarms would do the same, I'd be a happy boy.

Best of luck. ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-16          161132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 161129
Ok, now that's one of the few I actually like and appreciate!I think being able to get in the car, and have it start, and then turn off and re-lock when I walk away from it without having to even take the key out of my pocket is the first truly practical gadget!Now if my house and shop door locks & alarms would do the same, I'd be a happy boy.Best of luck.

They have it Murf, call them guard dogs. For real security try the guard gators. Understand they are very efficient.
:) ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-16          161134

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 161132
They have it Murf, call them guard dogs.

Already have that. Problem is the little bugger won't stay home, if I go out the door he has to go with me.

Heaven forbid I try driving away in HIS truck without him.

Best of luck. ....

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Worthless gadgets

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-16          161138

KT: Don't your gas grill have the red button to push and wait for the KABOOM? ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-03-17          161168

Speaking of propane grills.... I have done some reading on what we put in our BBQ's.

Both the wife and I think that propane leaves a "taste" on the food. If the grill is piped into a natural gas line it doesn't seem to leave the after taste.

Turns out that propane is made from oil. Didn't know that. Alway thought it came from some sort of natural gas fraction.

Then I learned that most brands of charcoal is just that... coal....... or at least there is a significant portion of the briquette that is coal. This is not something I want to cook my food on.

Solution? I am trying a wood pellet grill that uses "food grade" pellets. The taste is really improved, but the downside this that it needs 110 volt AC to run, so I still have to figure out what I can do for camping.

Check the link.... ....

Link:   

Click Here

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-03-17          161171

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 161138
KT: Don't your gas grill have the red button to push and wait for the KABOOM?

Hit and miss on it working. The lighting not the kaboom! ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-17          161172

I've been cooking over a wood fire grill for years. With a bit of prep time a couple of times a year it's not much if any slower than a propane or gas grill.

The only electricity required is to keep the beverages cold, and see what I'm doing if it's a late dinner.

Besides, after the roadkill is off the grill I can top up the fire and stay warm while I watch the bats eat all my mosquitoes. LOL

Best of luck. ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-03-17          161179

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 161168
Speaking of propane grills.... I have done some reading on what we put in our BBQ's.Both the wife and I think that propane leaves a "taste" on the food. If the grill is piped into a natural gas line it doesn't seem to leave the after taste. Turns out that propane is made from oil. Didn't know that. Alway thought it came from some sort of natural gas fraction.Then I learned that most brands of charcoal is just that... coal....... or at least there is a significant portion of the briquette that is coal. This is not something I want to cook my food on.Solution? I am trying a wood pellet grill that uses "food grade" pellets. ....

Mark,

Since I was finishing my basement this winter I had quite a bit of dimensional lumber that I thought I could burn in my wood stove. Before I did I searched the web for opinions on whether this was a good idea.

Turns out that lumber is usually brought to market by floating it in water, quite often salt water, then in the mills the wood and or saws are coated with lubricants so the wood can be cut without dulling the saw too quickly.

The end result was that enough of these contaminents are in dimensional lumber so that burning it in a stove will corrode a stainless steel flu liner so much that it will be unsafe in a short period of time.

If that is the case for dimensional lumber, I would imagine that the sawdust that is used for pellets, is even more impregnated with these lubricants and salts than dimensional lumber. Whether or not these can harm you is anyones guess !

Dennis

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-17          161183

I'm glad the subject of grills came up, our old gas one has been a grill too long. My cooking skills on the grill are primitive at their best and the Mrs. don't like to do the grilling so I'm for just skipping the whole deal and order a pizza. But the number three son is a skilled cook whether it be with a grill or a kitchen stove, so when they show up he does the grilling. So charcoal, propane, real wood? what do you guys prefer? "Bill Nye the Science Guy" made a solar one out of tinfoil on the TV. ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-03-17          161189

Dennis... interesting, that fills in some gaps for me.

The guy who owns Green Mountain Grills is real picky about what he puts in his food grade pellets, nothing but clean hardwoods. Apparently there is also an industry standard to be observed.

They do go on about not using standard heating pellets to cook food. Now I have an idea why.

Frank....... If you grew up around a wood stove in the kitchen, the food from a wood pellet grill will taste real familiar to you.

They call it a grill but it is actually an oven; the food is never exposed directly to the flames. It can function as a grill because you can crank it up and the steel plate between the fire and to food gets red hot.

It makes a fine steak and roasts a very tasty turkey. Someday soon I will bake a pizza in it and even try baking bread.

The units are a bit spendy, but so far I am really liking the food prepared in it.

Dennis.... my pellet stove that heats the house runs very hot, like a forge, due to the air being pumped into the burn pot all the time. I imagine the would take care of some of the left over lubricants and such.

I think you are right about the salt content too, the pellet bag labels carry a "does not exceed" statement for salt content and now I know why. ....

Worthless gadgets

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-18          161197

DRankin; Yes I carried in lots of wood for the kitchen range when I was a kid. Mother would use a few corncobs and some kerosene to get the wood going, the wood smelled good but the kerosene smell lingered a bit.
I haven't saw this thing, but a neighbor was telling me that he has a home made grill that uses an electric heater of some sort. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login