Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bought a 10-ton digital crane scale--what to do with it

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-04          155807

I bought a 10-ton digital read-out crane scale today off Craigslist (a local steel plant went belly-up and I got it for $200--more than a tenth of the original price).

I could have used it two days ago loading two, 150 year old dismantled log cabins on a semi-truck but the job is finished. Day late and a dollar short I tell ya.

I originally bought it to hang from my 40' manlift which doubles as a crane or my bobcat forks/bucket to weigh heavy things (beams, wooden timbers, steel items) or loads around the yard (and for when Kenny Thompson comes over--don't want him breakin' my lawn chairs ya know).

Any (practical) ideas to do with it? It has a lifting eye on the top and big hook on the bottom.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-05          155813

Ask shippers of heavy goods if they ever need to weigh something that could be lifted but for some reason can't be driven over a weigh-scale.

Offer it to other steel plants and similar for half price.

Put a big block of dry ice on it. As the ice turns to smoke the readout display slowly counts down. Park it in front of the bank that wouldn't give you a loan. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2008-08-05          155819

I would get it calibrated for a start. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-05          155821

High dollar door stop? But I know I've spent more and got less. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-05          155823

See if any of the local stone yards or landscape supply places are interested n it.

Around here bulk tote bags are becoming a REALLY popular way to buy bulk materials. If they had a crane on the lift they could save a trip to (and across) the scales.

If you offer it to them for a reasonable price, to be paid in a credit at their yard, they might be willing to pay more than $200 even. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-08-05          155824

Well thanks for the ideas guys. It was calibrated just before it was sold.

I paln to keep it. I was hoping for more applied uses that others have run across and said "DOH! I wish I had a way to weigh this!"

For exmaple, Murf, you had to measure the traction on parking areas at different temps (AND angles)--stuff like that. I was also looking for way to weigh my dump truck, skid steer, etc. like scrap yards do using what is called a weigh bridge. Murf I'm sure has some great ideas for that---other than go run across a certified scale. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-05          155825

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 155824
I was also looking for way to weigh my dump truck, skid steer, etc. like scrap yards do using what is called a weigh bridge. Murf I'm sure has some great ideas for that---other than go run across a certified scale.

The simplest would be to get someone with a wrecker to hook onto the vehicle with the scale between the boom and hook, then add the weight of both ends, not exact, but really close.

If you had a full size TLB or crane you could do it yourself.

You're not in south any more or I'd suggest you could, for a fee of course, settle the bets at the VFW on who's girlfriend weighs the most. LOL

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login