Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone fluent in German Need help on a translation

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-08          150073

I'm trying to do some family ancestry research. I know that one of our family surnames is Kesslering or Kesselring. The recorded history goes back to the 10th century. The name Kesselring is based on the term "chezzel" or "kezzel" which I beleive is the name of the germanic tribe. The "ring" was added to the tribe name to indicate where they were from which looked like a sort of ringed encampment. I'm trying to relocate drawings I saw about 15 years ago of this fort that was perched high on a bluff where two rivers converged.

Anyone know of the germanic tribe or if I'm even spelling it right?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-09          150079

Well, I'm not fluent - but I do have Germanic ancestry, and I lived in Stuttgart-Vaihingen for several years. As such, I can't discourage pursuit of the tribal name angle. But remember that it's not unusual for tribes to carry names related to where they lived or what they did. Considering the root words KESSEL and RING, the combination could represent something as simple as a what the patriarch did for a living (boilers/pots) or where they lived (the road around Kessel)

//greg// ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-09          150113

Greg I agree. I read the book entitled Kesselrings in America that was written in 1980. It is out of print. I'm hoping someone knows or can identify either the region the Chessels/Chezzel/Kessle or somtehing like that originate from (it may even be near Belguim). Or they can translate what that surname means. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-09          150114

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 150113
Chessels/Chezzel/Kessle
Well, at first glance I'd say those names could also be Czech. Do you realize there are two Kessels in the Czech Republic? Only there, they spell it Kotel. To make matters worse, there are three Kessels in Belgium, three in Germany, two in the Netherlands, and one in Poland (Kociol). The ones in Tureky, South Africa, and Mali were probably founded by the European Kessels.

Unless you can make some sense of this though, all I'm doing is making it harder instead of easier.

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login