Go Bottom Go Bottom

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-05          140222

Had a stand off with what I think was a coyote the other nite.
( Was to dark and to far away to see for sure. but I wasn't gonna try and get up any closer for a better look. )
The thing just stood in it's tracks and wouldn't let me out the door of my storage building so I could get back into the house.
The stand off musta lasted about 5 minutes before it trurned in it's tracks and went the other way.

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2001/storycty/chev6001.JPG 60 Chevy Convert

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-05          140224

Usually a coyote or fox will run at a glimpse of a human and generally you won't see them unless you catch them by surprise. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-05          140227

This one didn't flee.
I've seen it 3 nights in less than a week ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
Hettric

2007-03-05          140228

I would suspect he has been feed by others more than he is stalking you, but if I were you, just in case, I would be "carrying" at these times, and not turn your back to him. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-06          140233

As Hetteric stated, coyotes are quick to learn where the food is. If they have been pilfering from your neighbourhood, it wouldn't be long before they tolerate humans.

There's a good-sized pack of coyotes that live in a ravine on the fringe of a small town near here. I've had the contract to bush-hog the fields between it and the big town park / sports complex for years, ever since a coyote snatched a little pet dog a number of years back while the owner watched in horror. At first the coyotes were pretty wary of the equipment and stayed well back. But by the end of the first season they were pacing along watching for anthing flushed or killed by the equipment.

It's gotten bad enough now that we don't put anything but cab-equipped machines out on that job now, and usually 2 at a time so if you have to get out to clear something you have someone to watch your back.

We've offered to 'carry' and pop a few, but so far they are unwilling to do that. They figure as long as the overgrowth is kept down, and they have no cover, they will stay back a safe distance.

While I do not advise discharging a firearm in a built up area, you can use the coyotes brazen attitude to your advantage. Load up a piece of meat with a healthy dose of poison, and keep it in a zip-lock baggie somewhere handy, it won't go bad this time of year. When you see him next, toss him a little 'treat'. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-06          140245

Murf,
"They figure as long as the overgrowth is kept down"

Well the good part is no one has all of this type of people. But might be better off if there were all in one small area.

It is a shame when you can get in more trouble for killing such than a person. Of course tractor with bush cutter will not run fast enough to turn sharp enough to play cowboy either.

Be safe. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
cutter

2007-03-11          140375

Do some research on those animals and you will find that their interaction with humans goes in steps. The last step being "humans are food".

I was at my monthly coffee with the boys a couple of weeks ago when the wife called me. There was one under the kitchen window, and since they took our cat she is not real fond of them.

I had them pretty well cleaned out of our area for a time but now they are back. Looks like I will busy. I have heard that the DEC has planted several pair of mountain lion in our area to try to control them. Can't wait to see that under the window!

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-12          140386

Cutter, sounds like an "up grade" in cats.

This is my main dislike for the buried dog fences. Might keep your's in but it does not keep anything out. kt

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-03-12          140388

My wife was talking to her stepmother last nite and she was telling my wife that her neighbor across the road from her shot 2 coyotes the nite before that were attacking his dog. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
cutter

2007-03-12          140391

Upgrade in cats, that's a good one KT! ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-04-09          141196

I installed 19 dusk to dawn flood lights.
Now I can see what's out there.

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
bvance

2007-04-09          141200

Murf's suggestion of offering a treat augmented with a strong, permanent sedative would work well but just one caution on this. Make sure the coyote eats it all while you are watching so as to prevent it being picked up by some one's domestic pet....a very sad unintended consequence.

This happened to me and one of our good hunting dogs as someone was trying to rid the area of pesky coyotes but got ours and and neighbors dogs with it as well.

Murf, I know you or your folks would have made sure this treated meat went where it was intended, but thought I might add this caution if other's might consider this effective solution as well.

Brian ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-04-09          141201

Make sure the coyote eats it all while you are watching so as to prevent it being picked up by some one's domestic pet....a very sad unintended consequence.

This happened to me and one of our good hunting dogs as someone was trying to rid the area of pesky coyotes but got ours and neighbors dogs with it as well.
***********************************************************************************
This don't happen when people keep their pets on their own property ! ! !

***********************************************************************************
Any thing that comes into the flood lit area is fair game.
If the neighbors want to save their pets keep them out of the lights.

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
bvance

2007-04-09          141204

Brown 59,

I agree....but I think Murf was talking about an open area that was possibly frequented by other pets. This was my case as we lived in open ranching country and the area that was poisoned was an area that hunting dogs frequented for hunting pheasants etc. Not good judgement to poison this easily accessed and unpopulated area.

To poison a residential area, lighted or not, from an occasional friendly neighbor's dog that is not causing any problems would be a bit drastic in my opinion. Now, if the dog is a nuisance that might be another thing, but poison is a very indiscriminate, and final way to tell your neighbor to keep his dog home. I would hope there would be a better and more neighborly solution.

Brian ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-04-10          141205

....a typical behavior for an ill wild animal! /rabbies/.

Joe ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-04-10          141209

If you are a good neighbour and keep your dogs on your property and in one freak incident they get out and happen to be poisoned on the next door property, you're going to be pissed with your neighbour no matter who is technically in the right. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
yan1601

2007-04-10          141210

Coyotes are a problem where I live, country setting with trees. Legal to use gun here. I have killed 3 or 4, we lost 2 cats and one dog to the critters. I know the coyotes were responsible for one. I also know a horned owl took one of the cats. I chased the owl away at dusk, he flew about 50ft. and landed in a tree, he was keeping watch on a screened in porch on our deck. He is gone now bothering someone else. I use a 10/22 with scope from the house. I carry a 25 automatic when on tractor or mower. I spotted a cougar last week. Wife say the same animal a week before. Hopefully he is just passing through. We seem to see the cougar about this time of year every year. Same with a black bear that passes through in the fall when the apples are on the trees.
I never had a coyote stay when I am out. Might not hurt to fire in his direction with a low power gun or toss a firecracker or 2 if nothing will burn in your area. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-04-10          141215

poison keeps on killing again and again. If the animal runs off and dies and is eaten then that animal will perish. Even worse is if the poisoned animal throws up then everything that eats it will be killed. If a child finds the poison now that would be tough to live with.

If the neighbors HOSTILE dog is a problem shoot him. If you dont care enough to keep your HOSTILE animals on your estate then why should anyone else have to put up with it. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-10          141216

SG, really what do you think about HOSTILE dogs?

There is the option of the pet food from Canada...have no idea the brand...not trying to throw off on those in Canada...just identify the item. kt ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-04-10          141221

Hey KT,

I just dont think I should be chased around my domain by someone elses dog. Its kind of hard to relax with a set of teeth on your A$$. How have you been? ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
cutter

2007-04-10          141222

Free roaming "pets" have been a problem around here since the new neighbor moved in down back. Several Pit Bulls running free, not being watched closely enough. One killed my neighbor's cat in my back yard. Another one attacked the neighbor's Husky (which was chained in her own yard).

My neighbors all liked the cat and the Husky, so are now planning on hunting dog or coyote, whichever comes first. I love animals and have always welcomed other domestics onto my property but I am sick of irresponsible owners. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-04-11          141234

Be careful about shooting someone's dog even if it is loose and causing problems. I'd rather call animal control first and have them pay to get it out. In some areas it is more of a crime to shoot an animal than a person. If you take it out, no one else must know (ever)and bury it good! Needless to say, don't just wound it. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
Murf

2007-04-11          141248

I was very careful to advocate only "When you see him next, toss him a little 'treat'." so as to prevent the poison from reaching an unintended target. I do agree however that the poison often reaches further along the food chain.

I prefer taking care of varmints with the direct approach, "bang". However, as I pointed out, that's not always a good idea, especially in a built up area.

In my case I have a bush lot behind me where the coyotes come out from to hunt in the subdivisions around me. We either get them with a heavy-barrelled varmint rifle from a long distance, or with a 12 gauge from 'up close & personal' when we bait them.

Kenneth, the tractor doesn't have to go very fast, the little buggers can't reach the door handles of the cab. ;)

BTW, a piece of road kill on a short piece of rope under the FEL makes a game sort of like the "Whack a gopher" game at the carnival if you're quick on the joystick I hear.

Best of luck. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-11          141251

Murf, it seems your R & R was good.

There was a dog in my area that was faster than my tractor and disk were. I know, I tried and tried. Thought sooner or later he would forget to look behind the tractor as I drove by. kt ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
cutter

2007-04-11          141253

It will definitely be the neighbors that nail them, they are "in waiting" shall I say. That is unless one of them comes into my garage after me again. But thanks for the advice! ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2007-04-15          141331

Better talk to all your kids, if any of em get loose and look a bit "wild" and happen onto my deck at night,,, Well, Cant say what might happen? My pup is my baby. Be careful. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-16          141348

Last week on Fox news there was a story of one attacking a child and it's 11 year old uncle scaring it off. They had an expert from some major "EAST COAST" shool talking about the problem. kt

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
cutter

2007-04-16          141349

If you perform a search, you will find some relevant articles pertaining to the steps involved with the coyote in its relationship to humans. In NYS we are about one step below the point where they associate people with dinner fare. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
Murf

2007-04-16          141351

They have a new style of trap out, it was featured in the last issue of "Farm Show Magazine", it flings a lasso around the neck of the canine in question.

That way you can identify the 4 legged critter before disposing of, or releasing, it.

I was reading an interesting article in a trade publication about coyotes, they're a mixed blessing for golf courses, they eat varmints, including Canada Geese, but they occaisionally think of golfers as either a provider of food, or a source itself!!

The author used his own home-made 'aversion therapy' based on some advice from a biologist friend of his.

He set out bait at night, animated noise-making cat toys scented with road kill, and booby-trapped them with firecrackers. Nearby was a trail-cam to capture the events.

According to the article he captured a few pictures of coyotes a few feet in the air with a shocked look on their face, and then the traps stopped being set off altogether. Nobody has spotted a coyote within quite a distance of the golf course for sometime now.

Best of luck. ....

Coyote Hunting ~~~ Me

View my Photos
cutter

2007-04-16          141353

You're mixed up Murf, that was Caddy Shack :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login