Go Bottom Go Bottom

Back to the hinterland -- Rankee s Good ol boy membership

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-28          140096

Well guys, as of today I'm no longer a wannabe Southerner. Have to drop the "R" and return the "Y" in "ankee".
I've given it my best and have run into a figurative wall. No more work down here for me, so I'm going back to Michigan (plenty of work if you want to do it for free, or next to nothing).

Yeah, I know going from one disaster area back to another. Makes me glad I didn't sell my place back home.

But I'll be a southerner at heart. Too bad palm trees don't like frozen tundra. Hmmmm I'm thinking "greenhouse."

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-01          140100

EW; Welcome back to the land of fewer poisonus snakes, only 6 months of bugs, and possibly a Cagin food withdraul. It would be a treat to someday meet the folks on TP face to face just to see if guys like you are really 6 ft. 2 in. tall 175 lbs. all muscle, full head of hair, like I imagine ALL of you to look like. But realisticly knowing you by reading your posts, you are fully capable of going most anywhere and being able to use your tallents to make a decent living. Welcome back to the land of ice, snow, spring mud, you know the rest. Have a safe trip north. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-01          140101

Thanks, Frank. Yeah, I will miss the food. Even the men here cook--someatimes betta thana thera whives!

I thought I was going to miss the weather---you know, the perpetual summer versus (I think Murf said) "6 months of good sledding and 6 months of not-so-good sledding". But realistically, living more than half the year under a constant and real threat of real storms going through here is more than I want to bear. Last year we had no hurricanes. But this Yankee isn't cut out for it. If I want 3-4 feet of water to wade through on a nice day (because a Noreasterner blew Gulf water up the bay), I'll wade in the neighbor's pool. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-01          140103

I heard there is still a bunch of stuff to fix in Florida yet but they have gators to worry about in addition to the stuff Hardwood mentioned. It is always good to greet a fellow Michigander again. Welcome home! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-01          140105

Thanks guys. I have not seen one snake of any kind here in a year and a half. Heard about them. Seen no gators either.
Short of a few traumatized dogs, a kitten and a few Muskokey ducks that made through the storm, it was three months after the storm until we started hearing anything like a bird flying overhead, and 6 months before we heard any insects---they were either under water and drown or were blown out to sea. This is one experience I will never forget. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-03-01          140117

EW, at least you tried and also are making the move back without a lot of ties there to miss. (Sounds like a big circle or such.) Just think, when a big hurrican hits Michigan, all the experience you will have over the other guys! kt

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-01          140119

Kenny you are right! I will know to keep my butt home and go work at McDonalds. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-03-01          140121

The south has lost a good man, and Michigan is a lucky state. Have a safe trip and remember where you came from. I still love ya. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-01          140123

Golly SG yer makin' me tear up. But it ain't like I'm leavin' my TP family. I tell you though it's going to be reverse climate shock--I was on the phone tonite with my buddy coming down to help transport my equipment. Apparently I was distracted because he asked what I was making a fuss about---told him I was swatting 'skeeters (It's 35 degrees with snow on the ground there). I don't wanna go, dang it!

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-02          140137

We had thunder and lightning storms last night mixed with about an inch of rain. Does that make you feel better? ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-03-02          140148

We had a roof collapse on a grocery store from the rain and heavy/wet snow over the last week. snowing again with 40 mph gusts. And my tractor is in a barn 2 hours away!! Sucks... ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-03-04          140189

Earthworks:
Life isn't so bad back here in Michigan. When you get a chance head up toward the North along the eastern coastline and make a stop in Augres. There is a little Irish bar there called Dunleavies. Remember St. Paddy's is coming on the 17th. Their house soup is a mean "Cajun Crab and Cheese" that makes your mouth water for a little something cool to put the fire out. They have Michelob Light on tap in frosted Mugs. Life is good for those that take the time to enjoy it! ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2007-03-04          140199

People can complain all they want about winter in the Midwest. But the Midwest is a pretty nice place to live. Yes, we have winters. Some are easier than others. Buy a plow or snowblower an you'll be fine. We don't get huricanes, our earthquakes are rarely noticed, the mud in your house is from the dog tracking it in, not the mountainside collapsing and we don't have crocodiles or alligators.

We still have rednecks and such. With larger areas, you can get some good variety of foods too. So all in all, the midwest isn't a bad place to live. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-03-05          140217

Iowafun,

I have been over seas several times and have not found or seen anything a good a the USA. South, north, east and even the westcoast. The midwest seems like a great place to me. Now it is even better you got EW. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-10          140360

Awe gee SG, 'preciate it. Got home a few days ago. Took three days to get home since the trailers started fishtailing at about 65. Went from 70 degrees one day to 16 degrees a few days later---even got 4 inches of snow. Oh yeah since I sold my snow plow last Fall I just gazed out the wind'r (redneckspeak for "window") and thought how nice it was to enjoy the snow--rather than be plowing it at 2am. On the down side, came home to frozen and broken water pipes (apparently I didn't drain them all the way DOH!). Done about 6 repairs and still not fixed. Neighbor's letting me use his shower. Now it's in the 40's and mud everywhere underneath---or at least where I have to lay to fix the leaks. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-03-12          140390

Jeff, if you have a small compressor, there's an easy way to go through those leaks fast.

Make up a short whip of air line with a garden hose fitting on one end and screw it onto an outdoor faucet, then go around opening taps to blow out all the water. Just be sure to keep the air pressure down to a MAXIMUM of 75 psi, 50 would be better.

After the air has pushed all the water out the leaks will hiss or whistle. This way you can find them with the pipes empty. Be sure though to let all the air pressure off before you try to solder the leaks up if you're patching them.

This is also, BTW (I know, too late) to drain your system for freeze-proofing, the air pressure will drive all the water out except for the odd drop here & there, it wont allow enough water to stay to burst a pipe.

That's the method we use for draining irrigation systems on golf courses so the water only comes out ABOVE ground in the spring (but with a large trailer-mounted diesel powered compressor). :)

If memory serves, you're just south of Deeeeetroit aren't you?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-12          140394

Murf the lines are CPVC---and there are now about 20 repairs made. Yup I should have drained the lines the right way; we use trailer mounted compresors to blow out sprinkler lines here sout' of Deeetroit. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login