Go Bottom Go Bottom

The travel bug

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-11          133205

Ok guys here's the deal.

As most of you know I'm a pilot. However, due to some medical issues the last few years have never gotten a few license endorsements I want to have. Oddly enough I am qualified on military hardware, but not civilian stuff??!!

So with the final medical having been now cleared, and the requisite period of time having passed since any problems, I have the green light to do them now.

So, the plan is to spend some time this fall on the left coast, in Vancouver actually, working on my further endorsements with a friend of mine who runs an air charter service out there. I plan on being out there a month to six weeks. During that time I will do some travelling up and down the coast, especially since I have family in southern California that I don't get to see very often. Including a cousin who has just retired as an airborne officer with the CHP and now works as a commercial pilot down there.

Also while there I will undoubtedly find my way to just south of Portland, Oregon, to an aircraft manufacturer based there. I am *very* seriously looking at buying one of their planes this year.

So, anybody on or near the left coast, or, if I take my own plane out west, those along the north border states, that live near an airport, make contact with me, either on this thread, or by PM, and if I can find my way to your locale, I'll even buy the first coffee!!

BTW, southerners in the east fear not, you have not been left out of the equation!! I plan on coming home via the long way around, the left coast to central CA, then east through the desert and tornado belt, south into Fl, and the Carolina's to see some old buddies, then up the right coast and home.

Best of luck.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

The travel bug

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-08-11          133206

I live 3 miles from the Carson City Airport, should your travels take you into the Sierra Nevada or Lake Tahoe. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-11          133208

Hey Murf, I'm 25 minutes from the Hillsboro airport (about 25 miles or so west of PDX) and would enjoy meeting you. There's a smaller glider field even closer. I'll have to ask my brother what the name of it is, he got his pilots license and was planning to land there. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-08-11          133214

I am in St. Marys Ga. It is right on the border with Florida. When you fly over the St. Marys River (the border) it is about 2 miles to the airport, its right on the coast. You flew over me a few months ago, stop in this time. Love to meet you I'll send the telephone number via e-mail. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-11          133215

Murf,

You probably could manage a good trip just by stopping in to see part of those at TP that would like to host you for a meal or such.

God Bless, ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-11          133218

Murf, I checked and there are two airstrips slightly closer than Hillsboro but they are both private. Landing at Hillsboro shouldn't be a problem. Hope you find time in your schedule for a stop here. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-14          133308

Murf,

Just wondering, are you a US citizen?

Are you visiting all these places lining up your run for President?

Just thinking about how many states you are planning on visiting. LOL ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-15          133336

Kenneth, I do indeed have 2 passports.

No, no fear of me running as El Jeffe, I just felt the need to leave town now that Slick Willy from Little Rock is here in Toronto for the big aids conference....

It was quite a moving speech he made the opening day, "I do not believe in the practice unsafe sex, as defined ...".

Ken, what are the names of the smaller airstrips you mentioned? I have a database that lists all airports that are open to the public.

Best of luck. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-15          133337

Murf, one is called the North Plains Gliderport and the other is called Sunset something-or-other. The gliderport is usually used for glider takeoff and landing for paying customers. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-15          133338

Hey Murf, if you need a couple of shorter practice runs The Syracuse airport is just over an hour away. The Hamilton airport is fifteen minutes away and the Chennango is about thirty minutes away. I guess it depends on if you are flying a Piper Cub which we could have land two minutes away on two private strips or a 727! Your always welcome here. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-08-15          133341

What size airport do you need? One for Cessna's or one for a small jet or turbo prop? ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-15          133342

Oh easy there Dennis, I quit flying the big boys when my Uncle Sam stopped paying the bills.... LOL.

Of course if you need a pilot for the Tractor Point corporate jet or something...... LMAO!!!

No, all I need is 1000' or better of fairly smooth turf.

In fact my employees have been surprised more than once by my arrival to the fairway of an unfinished golf course.

Basically if someone has the nerve to call it an airstrip it will work for me.

Best of luck. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-08-15          133343

here is one right by me:

Hackettstown Airport
Hackettstown, New Jersey, USA

FAA Identifier: N05
Lat/Long: 40-49-12.3570N / 074-51-18.6020W
40-49.205950N / 074-51.310033W
40.8200992 / -74.8551672
(estimated)
Elevation: 670 ft. / 204 m (estimated)
Variation: 12W (1985)
From city: 3 miles SW of HACKETTSTOWN, NJ
Time zone: UTC -4 (UTC -5 during Standard Time)
Zip code: 07840

Airport Operations
Airport use: Open to the public
Sectional chart: NEW YORK
Control tower: no
ARTCC: NEW YORK CENTER
FSS: MILLVILLE FLIGHT SERVICE STATION [1-866-225-7920]
NOTAMs facility: MIV (NOTAM-D service available)
Attendance: DAWN-DUSK
Wind indicator: yes
Segmented circle: no

Airport Communications
CTAF: 122.9
WX ASOS at 12N (12 nm NE): PHONE 973-786-7221
WX ASOS at SMQ (14 nm SE): 120.60 (908-722-2139)

Nearby radio navigation aids
VOR radial/distance VOR name Freq Var
BWZr322/2.0 BROADWAY VOR/DME 114.20 11W
STWr188/10.6 STILLWATER VOR/DME 109.60 11W
SBJr350/15.1 SOLBERG VOR/DME 112.90 10W
SAXr235/20.7 SPARTA VORTAC 115.70 11W
FJCr088/27.8 ALLENTOWN VORTAC 117.50 10W
CKZr049/32.5 PENNRIDGE VOR/DME 108.85 12W
ARDr014/34.1 YARDLEY VOR/DME 108.20 10W
TEBr278/36.0 TETERBORO VOR/DME 108.40 11W
HUOr210/37.3 HUGUENOT VOR/DME 116.10 11W

NDB name Hdg/Dist Freq Var ID
CHATHAM 295/19.9 254 11W CAT -.-. .- -
QUAKERTOWN 052/31.1 208 12W UKT ..- -.- -
DOYLESTOWN 033/31.5 237 10W DYL -.. -.-- .-..
PATERSON 269/32.8 347 12W PNJ .--. -. .---

Airport Services
Fuel available: 100LL
Parking: hangars and tiedowns
Airframe service: MINOR
Powerplant service: MINOR
Bottled oxygen: NONE
Bulk oxygen: NONE

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic The travel bug

The travel bug

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-15          133344

Dennis, you sure didn't miss much! How far to the nearest Burger King? ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-15          133346

Murf,

I am really sorry for the reason you need to travel. I am so glad you realize there are a few here not like him.

I really wonder what he had on Rose to make him work so hard to get him elected. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-15          133349

Murf, don't know where I'll be be when you pass by Iowa. But if you want a free meal, feel free to stop in Iowa. Newton, IA has a nice long runway that corporate jets land on. It's about 20 minutes from my house and right by the new race track they built in town. Link to the track is below.

Or even if you need a place to crash for an overnight, just give a few minutes notice. Hopefully the Lab won't do a stink roll. He did it again Monday morning right before I left for work. ....

Link:   Iowa Speedway

The travel bug

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-15          133351

I didn't know Earthworks built airports !!!

The runway's a CIRCLE!!!!

Oh, wait a minute, that's the race track, sorry....

At the moment, the plan puts me about 500 or 600 miles north of you Iowa, but the map says theres a village called Murphy nearby, and gophers might be in season by then, so you never know.

Art, Burger King is 4.3 miles away, up on Mountain Ave. by the highway. LOL.

Best of luck.

The travel bug

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-08-15          133354

Murf:
You're always welcome to stop by for refreshments, etc. up in Oscoda when traveling on your northern routes. The old Wurtsmith AirForce base is a few minutes away from my condo.

That was a SAC airbase, so the airfield is big enough for loaded B-52's coming or going. It is a beautiful airfield and doesn't get that much use compared to its capabilities. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-08-15          133360

Murf,

Besides the BK there is a Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, McD's, couple of Chinese places, Sushi Bar, ..... If you stop by the wife will have a deep dish apple pie waiting (ala Mrs Smiths), with our deluxe quest suite with turn down service. For breakfast you have a a choice of homemade pancakes or bacon and eggs, she does not do home fries, sorry :-)

The travel bug

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-15          133362

Murf, the Sunset Airstrip here in Oregon is at 45.59 latitude , -123.01 longitude, elevation 207 feet. Here's a link. It's probably the closest to our location and not anywhere as busy as Hillsboro (although Hillsboro isn't anything like a commercial airport). ....

Link:   Sunset Airstrip

The travel bug

View my Photos
Chief

2006-08-16          133382

Murf,

I live a few miles from our local airfield. I am not sure my locale is in your flight path but you are always welcome here in TN at my place.

The travel bug

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-16          133384

I think the best offer has to be by far the breakfast one by DennisCTB.

But Murf, no one has mentioned they have internet connection you could use to help us at TP. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-16          133385

Chief, Your locale is a little north of where Iwas planning on doing the W/E leg, but that sure is some pretty scenery up that way. Maybe a special Chief / Peters detour is in order.....

Actually Keneth I was out for a test flight with a friend the other day in his recently rebuilt bird, his son was along and we discovered that his WIFI connection worked really well at 5,500' .... but not for long!! LOL.

Maybe a "follow the travels of Murf thread" there might be room on my server here for a photo album and running blog too. The scenery where I'm going to be for most of the trip (Pacific Northwest) is just outstanding, and from the air even more spectacular. I'm trying to get ahold of an approved camera mount for the wing strut so I can document the whole trip.

Possibly a new photo album here, with photos of all the members that I can "drop in" on.

Best of luck. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-08-16          133387

Ah, the PacNW is a beautiful place to visit. The views from the mountains are spectacular so I can imagine what it must look like form a lower flying flane. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-16          133393

The FBI has been stumped by the wide spread and unusual high activity regarding players and matters which they admit they know little of, but since they use acronyms so freely, rather than real words it must be of critical importance and seriousness. They are hearing chatter over the internet regarding CUT, FEL, MMM and RFM. As their spokesman said in today’s world such activity causes great concern. There have given the up most importance in handling what they are sure is a case with international ties. It has shown up at many different local areas as “dealers there rejoice” over new sales.

They first notice the pattern in area around Vancouver and watched with amazement as it spread into the United States in the Portland area and onto California. With total fear they learned it was spreading eastward across the desert and hit down in tornado alley. They had hope the weather there had somehow broken the trend but learned the spread continued onto Florida and were amazed to see it turn northward and run the east coast back into Canada.

At this point all they are sure of is CUT, FEL, MMM and RFM are disappearing from local “dealers” which some have international connections to Europe and Asia. They do admit some of these are produce within our country but they will continue to regulate and enforce our laws to eliminate that production. The activity is more noticeable around certain airports which now causes new airport concerns with carry ons.

News Flash just in: Following feedback from street names such as onceance, earthwks, iowafun, DRankin, Peters and numerous others along with major help by the RCMP (Mounties) it seems they have nab the man who caused this as he lands his new orange, green and blue plane. He goes by the cult name of “Murf.”

The FBI said as soon as they were able to explain all the acronyms they would provide full details to which DennisCTB, said come on boys we can help as many were poised at TP to click on reply to help their county in time of need.

God Bless TP and all the heros there! ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-16          133394

As another well-known southerner is often heard to say....

I don' care whoo you are, thet rahht there is funny!!!

Lord, I apologize ....... ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-08-16          133396

Murf,

I will be happy to set up a Blog and photo album for your trip. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-17          133411

Murf, I believe that famous saying belongs to Larry the Cable Guy who was raise in Nebraska. Now it could have been “Southern Nebraska” and I thin he was raised on a hog farm. Hey, compared to where you are, Nebraska is Southern! ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
kyvette

2006-08-17          133414

Murf, if you happen to cross central Kentucky, we have a 5000ft runway, in my home town, and you would be welcome.

FYI, in May of this year we spent a week at Depoe Bay, Oregon. This is a small fishing village located between Lincoln City and Newport on the Oregon coast, about 90 miles southwest of Portland.

This is beautiful country with excellent resturants. We stayed in a condo by WorldMark. Our patio was about 20ft from the ocean cliff. In the evening, after dinner we would watch the whales play in the surf and the sunsets, as the saying goes, "where to die for". I have pictures of the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen, just happened to be in the right spot at the right time.

If you are going to visit this area, let me know, and I can provide you info on things to do and resturants.

Sounds like a fun trip. Dave ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
Murf

2006-11-15          136962

Since SG brought it up in the "I'm back" thread.

This trip is now on hold, possibly for a *very* long time.

:(

I was going to wait to see if there was any hope of salvaging it before saying anything, but it's not looking like that's going to happen.

I do still plan on trying to do some travelling this coming late winter / early spring, but will likely only be down the right coast, but even that is not a definite thing now.

Best of luck. ....

The travel bug

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-11-15          136964

Be carefull in San-Fran-Sissy-Co. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login