Go Bottom Go Bottom

Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-13          107953

I consiter it a penalty of reaching 50-51 that this is due, I am guessing many on this site have been through this "right of passage".
Thought there may be some amusment to be had here---------
I forgot to say, I am self employed, have no insurance, and will pay $750.00 for the privlage, I was assured that this is a discount, "full price" (read insurance) was $2250.00, seems to me that opens an other topic altogether on who is getting it up the-------------.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Ardician
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-13          107955

Mine went smoothly. I was "out" and didn't feel a thing. That was the only way I would agree to do it and highly recommend having it done in that manner. By far the worst part of the experience was drinking the super-laxitive potion the day before and purging all day long. My doctor examined one clean colon, I guarantee! Good luck to you on yours. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-14          107960

This is posted under the "JUST FOR FUN" Topic? Maybe in San Francrisco... ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-03-14          107962

Harvey there is no fun in it period! I have it done nearly yearly from both ends do the problem I have with food. Used to eat everything and anything and now it comes back to haunt me. It has been painless as I have been out for them but it isn't my idea of a fun time at all and I do believe you are getting a great price! To bad it's not an extra to life's pleasures for that money instead of just something that might help you live long enough to find them. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-14          107966

Some people handle the proceed very easily. When I had my done, I was out like a light. When you wake up you will not remember a thing, particularly up until about a half hour after you are awake. That was weird. You will be talking to people just like normal and not even know it.

Some people don't handle it so well. Those that don't go under. I guess the medicine doesn't fully knock everybody out. That was the case with a couple of friends of mine. They had to have it rescheduled and hit harder. Another guy at our shop got real mean, punched out the Doc and yanked it out, got up and left. He is a little different to begin with.

Don't worry about it, odds are you won't feel a thing before and after. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-14          107973

Like Art, I got the stereo version. They promised me they would at least hose the thing off before they swapped ends.

Anyway it went very well. Painless. All the purging before and probably running the tools back and forth irritated something near the ring and pinion gasket so I had some lubrication leakage for a couple of weeks.

I waited a long time. Got the first one done at 55 (just last January) despite a terrible family history of colon cancer and even death at my same age.

It was worth it to hear the doc say I was as clean as a whistle and come back in 5 years.

The top end needs some maintenance, but that is do-able I think. If I cut my grocery bill in half and take the meds all should be well.

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-03-14          107978

This is no problem - I have been in twice and will go again this year. As said before - the purging the day before is the biggest inconvenience. Don't go shopping at the mall like one of my friends did after he started the medication!

I had my first at 49 after trip to hospital with diverticulitis. Doc found 5 pollups - 2 that were pre-cancerous that he said we found "just in time". I was in once after that (good shape) . So I can't wait to get back in a 3rd time - I was arguing with him that I wanted to go last year but he said it was too soon. He better have been right! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-14          107983

Never had the pleasure of the 'inspection' there ...... yet.

However, I can tell you, getting your crotch slit open and a (albeit small) hose stuck up the plumbing as far as your chest isn't very pleasant either.

The doctor said it wouldn't hurt a bit, and it didn't..... until the next day. Then, as I told him, it only hurt if I did anything strenous, like breathing, then it really bothered me.

Oh well, as my grandfather use to tell me, being in pain is not very nice, but it usually beats the alternative. ;->

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
MiikeJD

2005-03-14          108027

Please take the tests due to cancer. My mom died of colon cancer when she was 52. My dad died of cancer when he was 50. My uncle died of colon cancer when he was 60.
I was the only living person at 42 to have a pre-cancerous colon as bad as it was and live. By the way my mom and myself had no symptoms at all until having some pain. The rest is history.
I am having check ups yearly now to stay ahead.
Also you don't have to drink all that gallon of stuff to get cleaned out. They have a bottle of sodium phospate that you only need 2 tablespoons to do the job mixed ion a glass of water.
Good luck ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-15          108042

Flushing the pipes the day before is not a great deal of fun but the worst part about the exam is getting stuck in the arm for the IV. In other words, it's not that bad. After my mom died of colon cancer my siblings and I each had the exam. One of us is especially glad he did it because polyps were found and removed.
Dave ....

View my Photos
JDLOVER

2005-03-15          108044

I have been having it done every other year for the last 15 plus years. First couple of times my internist was stil using the old "silver stallion" NO FUN !!!!!!!!! Finaly got a flexible scope and that is much more comfortable.

JDLOVER

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-03-15          108045

First time I went in for sigmoid, Dr found a polup right away and said he would be back, He went to a fellow Dr and got me in for colonoscopy right away, no use waisting that cleanliness.. got up, walked in, laid down, gotter done and got up and went out to lunch, no problem with not having medication, some hard pressure but not bad, 5 polups, none bad.. Went again last year,10 yrs later, drank an 8 oz. bottle of sodium stuff that worked fast. I went in and told the Dr. I wanted to do it without meds. and he said ok, if it didn't work they would just put on the mask and put me to sleep. 15 or 20 minutes later I was done and on my way, clean as a whistle.. Both times were in the morning, and later in the day, both times , I was real tired and took a nap.. unpleasant but not unbearable without being put to sleep and you don't have to wait around to wake up. my 2 cents...JohnJ ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-03-15          108056

I'm not at that age yet, but getting closer every year. I read with intense interest the articles on the non-invasive procedure that has been tested. It's more accurate and doesn't require a probe up the exit ramp. It's also more expensive. We'll see what medical science does with that new technology while I inch closer and closer to that age...

I have my fingers crossed... and toes and... ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-03-15          108060

The so called noninvasive proceedure is probably CT "virtual colonoscopy." The are claiming accuracy but that remains to be seen. The problem with the proceedure are the number of false positives. With x-ray CT, any drops of fecal matter left behind look the same as a polyp so you end up getting a colonoscopy anyway.

You also get a big dose of radiation in order to get the signal-to-noise necessary for a reasonable image.
Dave ....

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-03-15          108066

There is another I read about, You take the sodium cleaner then swallow a small protected camera, sleep the night and when expelled the next day, you take it to Dr. for development. Might be the easiest yet.. So far they are all a pain in the ... JohnJ ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-03-16          108124

Had my first at 40. Mother died at69 from colon cancer.
Probably still be with us if she had gotten hers.
I'm due in May for my second one, no sweat, compared to
the chemo. for not getting one.
My biggest discomfort was the three beautiful nurses
with the long black rubber hose. It is a highly curable
cancer if caught in time and the "clean as a whistle"
feels good. ....

View my Photos
dsulwikowski

2005-03-21          108456

Iowafun – to agree with shortmagnum, the commonly used scope has the ability to remove the polyp(s) at the same time as the inspection. It’s a one trip deal! ....

View my Photos
DaveM

2005-03-24          108655

While I was scanning topics I did a double take on this one, almost like the one, "Whats the favorite thing you've put through a chipper?". I didn't expect to see a medical topic, but then again it is something most of us end of going through. I've had a couple and although I tolerated the procedure and recovery fine, I sure didn't like the Fleet cocktail I had to drink the night before. I tried the last one without any pain killer so I could drive home right afterwards. Half way through the procedure either the Dr. had used to much compressed air or my plumbing was kinked, I got pretty uncomfortable and the Dr immediately introduced something to ease the pain. I believe I was awake throughout the procedure, real dopey, but he was in and out fairly fast. Highly recommended especially what the alternative might be with family history, etc. Although a different form of cancer, I just lost a good friend and boss a couple of years back to prostate cancer. It was diagnosed when he was about 50 and he died just shy of his 62 birthday. The last two years sure weren't real pleasant for him. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-03-25          108738

I must agree with everyone here. Had my first one at 45 due to the cancer in my family. Clean that time but five years later they removed five polyps. Scheduled me for a three-year cycle and am due this year again.

Some advise. Use the quick method of purge, not the start at noon the day before as I did the first time. I drank that gallon of mix that tasted like kidney excrement and suffered until the next morning with it.

The last time, I bought the soda pop/pill combo and simply drank the required amount of water. I started at 1800 hours and suffered much less. The preparation is MUCH worse than the test. In fact, that juice they shot into my I-V made my troubles go away for an entire day. For the first time in years I had breakfast with my wife and wasn't worried about what wasn't getting done elsewhere. ....

View my Photos
LapinFarmer

2005-03-27          108855

My wife has these regularly. She and others we know claim the prepping is worse than the proceedure. We also know a medical rep. who sells the supplies. His advice to make it easier: ask for the "low sodium" prep kit. Rather than drinking a gallon of vile stuff you take a pill and/or a smaller volume of liquid. Also you must start weaning off solid foods 2 days early rather than just 12 hours, but the process is more gentle and easier to "swallow".

The CT colonoscopy still requires a tube to "inflate" your colon with CO2 and a similar prep regime, it requires radiation exposure, and if they find anything you still need to get a regular colonscopy to remove polyps. The CT version can't see flat lesions - only 3D-polyps, and only those above a certain size, although the newset CTs can find the same percentage of polys of "clinical significance" as a visual scope (which does miss a few at corners for example). So CTs are not really an advantage.

The camera that you swallow does not get 100% coverage on the way through, and it can't take samples or remove polyps. It also has limited resolution, but the technology keeps getting better. At the moment it is not considered a replacment for a colonoscopy if you are hunting for colon cancer or pre-cancerous conditions. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2005-04-03          109328

A couple of days ago a local hospital, very clean and well respected announced that over 600 people over a four month period may have been exposed to HIV, Hepatitis, ECT.. due to improper cleaning of colonoscopy equipment. Now the patients will have to be tested every six months to see if they were infected. This is a complication that most of you describing your experiances probably never thought of. Very scary to me because I am approaching the age. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-04-03          109329

That sounds like a Frankenstein flick. What a terrible thing to happen! Do you have more details as to how this came about? ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2005-04-04          109374

The news story referred to improper sterilization between patients. Over the weekend I talked to a relative of one of the people tested they are very worried and upset. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-04-04          109404

I can only imagine. Someone trying to take care of their health is exposed because someone else did not bother to do their job. I would think these hospitals would have specific equipment for people with immune disease so there is no chance of passing it along. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2005-04-05          109455

Not hard to believe with over 200,000 people a year dying due to mistakes in medical care. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-10-23          118329

Just to reinvigorate this discussion, my wife and I went down to get dual colonoscopies on Friday. We asked the nurses for their best suite since we are coming up on our 25th anniversary. It was the first for my wife, the 3rd for me. Now they put you to sleep - they used to have you awake watching the scope while they invaded your privacy. It is a much better deal than the old method.

This puts my wifes mind at ease - she was convinced she had problems like the rest of her family - but she got a clean bill of health. It also makes great dinner discussion for the family - lots of funny stories come out of situations like this :) ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-23          118336

I joined the club at 45 and am scheduling my third. They took out five the last time so I am on a three year schedule.

Take the quick flush starting at nine the night before and don't try to drink that gallon of nasty. I almost lost it on that. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-10-23          118337

Cutter, we are like twins. I had 5 ( 2 pre-cancerous) removed - now 3. I am on a 3 year schedule for the foreseeable future. Better to harvest the buggars on a regular schedule than have a section of your colon cut out!! ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-10-23          118339

By the way - what is the quick flush? We took 1 1/2 ounces of phospho-soda 5:30 night before and 1 1/2 ounces 3 hours before appointment the next day. No gallon for us. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-23          118341

Crunch,

Yep, the pain is worth the gain, my dad had part of his carved out because he would not listen to the doctor regarding these tests.

The quick method is a bottle of soda, some pills and drink water starting late in the day. Can't recall if it was six or nine PM as I only did this one time three years ago. The first time I drank the gallon of swill with the process beginning at noon.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-01-25          188736

I just read this thread again as I got a reminder a couple of months ago that 3 years was up...until I read this I was going to blow it off... probably a bad idea. Have you kept on schedule ? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-01-25          188741

Dennis;

Get the "Butt Cam" done. I wouldn't recommend it for a relaxing weekend, but after a half dozen or so I've had they aint so bad.
I was in the "Iffy" category for a few years having one every couple years. I'm 72 now and had my last one three years ago and was told to come back in ten years.

Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login