Go Bottom Go Bottom

manual vs automatic transmission swap

View my Photos
DavesTractor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-22          42760

I have a 1989 Ford dually crewcab with the 7.3l diesel and a Banks Turbo. The truck has 160K on it and runs great, but it looks like the automatic transmission is failing. It was rebuilt the first time at 139K, now it is acting up again. I pull heavy loads with it and am often at or slightly above the recommended GCWR, which is around 20K. I'd like to swap in a late model 6-speed manual. Does anyone have experience with such a swap?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-05          43418

I have worked on swaps but do not have any experience with the Ford. I have only had one Ford pickup with an auto and this was only a F150.
I have a friend that has a head and rebiult shop. I could ask him if you have not found any additional info.
Peters ....

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-10-05          43420

Peters, thanks for the offer. After further thought, I think I am going to try to stay with an automatic. My dad has a 2002 Chevy with an Allision auto in it, and it works like a dream. I am looking now to see if Allision makes a trans I can adapt into the Ford. I need something built to really take a load. If it gets too pricey, I might be smart to just buy a medium duty truck to do my deliveries. It seems that used medium duties are much cheaper than a HD pickup. Supply and demand issue I suppose. Dave ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-05          43428

You are getting better service out of your Ford transmissions than my brother in Alaska. His Diesel 4x4 is about ten years old and about similar in milage. He is on tranny #5 I think. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-05          43429

The Ford transmission is a lot more suceptible to damage from dirty transmission fluid. It maybe a case were the synthetic fluid would be well worth it.
There is a lot of torque from a small diesel. The Cummins will rip the drive train out of the Dodge with a 5 speed.

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-10-05          43433

We put a Banks Sidewinder Turbo on it and adjusted the pump and we have adequate power now, about 270HP, not sure on the torque, probably 100ft lbs over stock. I think the enhanced power along with the heavy loads are just beyond the design of the E40D. Other than the trans problem, I'd highly recommend the Banks. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-06          43450

Dave;
After giving it a little thought, I guess I would recommend that you get something bigger not smaller. Larger trucks also in the 3 ton range seem to be cheaper used that the HD pickups. If you are towing 20K routinely it would be better to have a bigger more stable truck.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Murf

2002-10-07          43492

Find someone a Navistar dealer who does a lot of school-bus work, almost every one on the road today is powered by a Power stroke mated to an Allison automatic, in fact the standard bell-housing for it is a Ford pattern, anything else is a special order. The most likely problem you may encounter is that the Allison is physically larger and some modification of the floor and cross-member may be required.

The only other consideration is Mr. Franklin ($$$$) these transmissions are NOT cheap, and to that the cost of installation and modification and it may turn out to be far cheaper to just buy a different truck.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-10-07          43493

Murf, great idea, I hadn't thought of buses as possible donors. If I could find a good low mileage trans out of a wrecked bus, it might be cost effective. We can do the modifications in our shop. I'll let you know if I find one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login