Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-15          76970

I have a ford 8n, that will be sold this year. Question is should I give her a paint job (it needs it bad) the metal is pretty good though, and fix the few problems with the fuel system (seems they are just like a dirt bike, every other time out with it its something else)
Or should I just sell it the way it is. I am estimating 1500 as is and upwards of $3,000 all shiny and running fine.
The hydraulics are very good and it dont smoke. I live on the Il/Wi. border and will have to haul it down here 300 miles from the north to work on it. The only reason to do that would be to make an extra grand after paint and fixin it up. I dont have much going on till frost comes out anyway?
So what do ya think, is it worth hauling and working on it? Might even bring more down here, these young (yuppies)
oops! really seem to like these older painted hobby farm yard ornaments. (lord knows most I have seen down in northern IL are not used to their potential, more of a look at what I have thing)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-15          76976

The market for 8N's is pretty strong here as well. You can get a decent running, mostly all there tractor for $1500. A nicely done restoration (rust removed, holes and dents fixed and automotive type paint) with everything else OK (tires & wheels good, hydraulics work, good oil pressure, little smoke) might fetch $3000. But then you may end up spending $500 on a modest restoration job, plus your time, and hauling it back and forth...I'd say you would be ahead to take the $1500 now. Unless you really enjoy the resto process. Maybe you could fix the mechanicals where it is now without hauling it.
From a buyers point of view, I've been following Farmall Super C's for more than a year now. I resto'd an A last year, so I know pretty much what it would take to do another Farmall. A good, unrestored Super C might bring $1000-$1200; the same tractor with a very nice paint job wouldn't bring $2500. I'd rather have the unrestored one for $1000 than an already done restoration for $2500; and I would put a paint can restoration job dead even with the untouched one. Actually, would rather have the untouched one rather than one where somebody has sprayed over the grease and rust. Just my two cents.
If you bring her home and start working on her, you might just decide to keep her!
Good luck,
Bill ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-15          76978

Thanks bill
That is what I have heard, if you dont do a class paint job it dont get top dollar. I guess I have to way the benefits. I know I need to get her running in close to perfect condition if I want to sell with a conscience. I think I will haul it home so I have the time, Was planning on steam washing the guts and bombing it the red, and then have a decent job done on the fenders and hood. Dont know though, maybe I should fix the mechanicals and see what it would bring. I really could use the extra grand or so but like you said it really may be easier to just give her away to someone wanting to do it right. The extra cash wont make or break me but I never like selling something for less than I paid for it although I gave $2200 12 years ago for it wich included a GREAT post hole digger and back blade along with a harrow. I plan on keeping all the toys so I guess if I sold it for 1500 I would still be money ahead?
Thanks for your opinion ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-16          76997

The general rule of tractor restoration is that it is cheaper to buy one already restored than to do it yourself. That simply means that you're losing money to restore one. I think that is why you see so many high prices on older tractors. Rather than setting a reasonable price (reasonable meaning market value), people try to recoup their investment. That is why I've seen so many Super C's for $2500-$3000 that either don't sell or take a long time to sell.
If your 8N is in decent shape, I believe it would fetch more than $1500 as is. At least around here. Somebody looking for a project really doesn't care about the details (like paint) as long as the metal is solid and the tractor is close to complete.
If you were closer to WV, my dad would be there with cash in hand. He loves 8N's; in his book, $1500 for a nice one is a bargain.
Good luck,
Bill ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-16          77003

I agree with BillM. If you just want to get the most you can out of the 8N I would not start a restoration. I might steam or pressure wash it but not paint it. One N-series selling point is that you can buy almost every part for it on the internet.

If it runs pretty good and has hydraulics and brakes I would try to get $2000 for it anyway. Also the area where you live will probably fetch a better price than where it's sitting so it might be worth dragging it home. If it needs a little help, a set of plug wires and distributor cap can work wonders. You can also replace the Marvel carb with a rebuilt pretty cheaply (although the rebuild kit is only about $10).
Dave ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-16          77010

I'm debating the same issue with my Farmall "C", but I also have bad tires. The body is dent free but needs paint, the engine burns some oil and needs a ring job but still runs strong. It has a homemade loader and 3 point hitch. I'm too busy to do any of the work myself, so getting the work done is fairly expensive and won't get the money back out of it. However, I'm faced with a nostalgia issue since I grew up with the tractor.

Everbody tells me that I'm further ahead just selling it. Some new plug wires and distributor cap are less than $50.00 and will get it running better. A local dealer has one in their lot with OK tires and an average paint job for $2,100.00. That doesn't give me much incentive to invest allot of money. ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-16          77011

Yooper, I understand the nostaligia issue. If you grew up with it and have any room you should keep it. I keep my eyes open an pick up the parts I need pretty cheaply sometimes. You can too, especially if you're not in a big hurry. Last fall I bought a practically new rear tire for my 9N for $25. If it's your own you probably don't mind a little smoke once in a while. :-)
Dave ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-16          77013

Shortmagnum
That's a good point about looking for used tires. New tires are about $650.00 all around and mounted. I may just hang onto it. Thanks for the tip! ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-02-16          77016

Yooper, I would keep it.
The Farmall A that I just restored was purchased new in '47 by my Granddad. I didn't care a lick about it until Dad gave it to me a couple of years ago. Now I'm really attached to it... collecting family photos with the tractor and various family members...it has been a lot of fun. I still use it when I have a chance, but mostly just enjoy putt-putting around the fields and woods with it.
That old tractor sat in the barn for years and nobody looked at it. Now it is bringing happiness to me and my Dad. I think I have a picture of it in my picture album on here.

Just my opinion. You never know how things will turn out.

Bill ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-16          77077

Bill
What were you doing with rops folded down! LOL. Was your pic number 2 just after green up? Man it looked like you just sank into quick sand with grass on top.
I like your other pics very pretty tractor, you must be proud of it.

I will take the advice of hauling it down here and pressure wash it, do alittle r&r on the mechanicals and list it for sale for awhile. It is not pressing to get the money imediatley since I am financing the new tractor so it may be the best thing to try to sell her in the shape she is in. My buddy up north has just dug out my driveway (from the back side thru the woods trail from his house) as to not open it up from the highway. So I will be picking it up this weekend along with signing the papers on the new tractor. Thanks again, as always I think I have recieved some really great ideas. ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-02-16          77090

Well, I've taken a little flak for having the ROPS folded...but it is such a funny picture otherwise I had to post it.
Thank goodness my wife was nearby with a camera!
It just started out as a casual roll around the yard; I thought I could straddle that ditchline to mow it. (I was wrong) At least I didn't try it with the mower on. My neighbor pulled me out with his Fergie 30.

Good luck with the N.
Bill ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-17          77176

Bill, Yes it is a great pic. The flak you take is not nearly as bad as a few years back in north dakota. There was a big tractor show, all the new (big name tractors showing off for the media. Some poor Deere employee was way back in a field with a case tractor, you guessed it, the deere got burried and before the crew from deere could get out there the NICE case employee offered to pull em out.
Unsuspecting what was to come he agreed because not wanting to be seen. Well the not so nice case employee called back to the group and wouldnt you know it a camera showed up!!! We still have the pics posted for giggles. I wonder what happened to that green employee! Hmmm. ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-02-17          77186

Good story. I guess he'll never live it down.

I have a fascination with stuck vehicles. The internet makes it worse.

Stuck tractors:
http://www.profi.co.uk/local/english/index.jsp10
Click on the "Picture of the month" link on the left side.

A stuck trucks page is linked below. The stories are better than the pictures sometimes.

Bill ....

Link:   Stuck trucks

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-03-22          80787

Bill
I believe it was you that said, "I might just want to keep it?" LOL Lets see now, I have made a new pin and bushing for the front end, made new hangers and diamond plate riunning boards, bought 2 brand new front side pannels (Ebay 82 bucks!) cleaned the gas tank fixed the broken steering housing (aluminum casting) front wheel bearing, blasted and painted all the small enough parts that would fit in my blast door at work. fenders are off along with both back wheels (waiting warmer weather for removal and blasting, new tubes and paint (of coarse) seat is blasted and painted also. I found out it is a hybred 9n/8n so it wont be worth much as a restore tractor for someone, so I thought id help it along and find some dude that has a 5-10 acre hobby ranch looking for a 55mph good looking 8N LOL. Dont know though, right now its 50/50 on if it will ever see the for sale sign. By the way, when the CEO of the house say's, " I dont care what you do with it?" Does that mean, "you better sell it?" Or does it mean, "She really dont care what I do with it?" ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-03-23          80861

It is hard to tell what she meant, but one thing is for sure. She didn't mean she doesn't care. :-) When my lady says something like that it usually implies "...as long as you buy me some jewelry."

Just made an internet deal on a Super C today. Will go to inspect it and perhaps finalize the deal on Friday. Will be looking at a few cheap parts, clean-up and spray can paint job real soon. This will be my plowing tractor for spring. Next year, a full restoration, if things go well.

Good luck on the 8/9 N. For some odd reason, old tractors make me happy.

Bill ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-06-06          87891

Soon I will post a pic of her (the tractor not the wife) If my dad would ever get his heath straitened out I would have more time to work and finish it. Everything is painted and started to go back together. Just have the new electricals to put on (I am keeping it a 6 volt system, seems they worked ok for 50 years might as well keep it that way) and put the gas tank back in the hood along with the radiator and grill and hopefully fire it up.
I have my fingers crossed on the 4th of July! It is really looking sharp even got a compliment from my 17 year old today! That is amazing in itself cause he dont comment on much of anything. ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-06          87897

I'm looking forward to see a pic! I've wanted to do a project car or tractor for years but it's gonna have to wait until a new shop is built. ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-09          90484

Well I went with a RED that I liked, (I cant stand the original color, and I went with the dark grey from the 2n colors. Since this is a half breed 2n/8n I thought it did not matter (for restoration pourposes since it is not ever going to be original) And I think it looks real pretty (LOL) I think I already posted a pic. I am rebuilding the starter now!!!! ARGGGGG so soon I will have the electricals figured out and put the hood and grill on, of course It will have to wait till the fields get planted for the fall draw.
It was fun for awhile but time is starting to wear on me, just cant seem to find free time lately and my bride is starting to get a little upset that her tractor (LOL) is in her spot in the garage!!!! Better get going soon ehhh? ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-09          90485

Pic 14! ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-07-10          90504

Very nice! My projects wear on me in the middle, once I see the light at the end of the tunnel they pick up momentum...hope yours does the same.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Ford sell as is or RandR

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-07-10          90506

Thanks Bill, I should post a "before pic" I guess as to apreciate how butt ugly it was before! LOL
Maybe later since this board is SOOO slow I cant take it anymore.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login