Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 681 Tractor 3ph will not lift

View my Photos
812keepr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-06-22          192992

Have Ford 681 SelectOSpeed(not sure of the year) that has a problem with the lift hydraulics that has gotten progressivly worse. Started out in cold weather the lift wouldn't work until the tractor ran for 15-20 mins. Then it was warm weather as well then yesterday not at all.When the tractor was last shut down the position lever was left in the up position so when it was restarted the lift immediatly lifted but after it was let down wouldn't raise again.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bugs46

2015-06-22          192993

sounds as if you have water in your hydraulic fluid, check ,pull dipstick out of transmission or read end if the fluid looks milky ,you have water in that fluid. Drain and I flush the system with diesel fuel about 5 gallons and run 2 or 3 minutes drain and fill with new Hydraulic fluid,And you could have a bad pump if so you can find one at 877-530-4430 Ag-Parts and most times they will have one. and with a year warranty.

Good Luck buddy. Bugs ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-06-29          193020

The model got my attention. Did now know there was a 681 but it seems to been Fords top in options. Man two reverse speed and two pto speeds?

My wife's family had a 601 new in 1962 which is still in the family but not around me any longer. The 601 ran gear oil in the transmission and rear end which was also the lift if not BADLY mistaken. However the 681 uses M2C41. If the lift on the 681 is the same as on the 601 it had its issues but normally was the "hiccups" as it will set there with small jumps even while at idle. Some much an issue where and used so much to cultivate tobacco and other crops a local company develop slides for the cultivators to ride on and not to depend on the tractor lift. Best my memory is the lift rebuild is not major. But do as suggested check the fluid for water and also the wrong type of oil in it. I really enjoyed the 601 and it was great to use till a grandson backed it over a drop off and flipped it breaking the steering column. From then on steering was not near as good. Now your tractor is suppose to have wet brakes, the 601 had dry brakes which were about as weak as could be. One issue if the age I think it is, not many mechanics around who really worked on it. kt ....

View my Photos
812keepr

2015-06-29          193027

KTTHOMPSON,If I have errorI'med on the 681 I apologize. I was interpreting from a manual . This is a "600" series selest-o-speed, live hydraulics, 2 speed pto. The problem so far has been the pump drive gear was stripped on the ID spline. Put fresh parts in should take care of lift . I am leaning towards losing prime on the delay of lift. We'll see. Thanks ....

View my Photos
812keepr

2015-06-29          193028

KTTHOMPSON,If I have errorI'med on the 681 I apologize. I was interpreting from a manual . This is a "600" series selest-o-speed, live hydraulics, 2 speed pto. The problem so far has been the pump drive gear was stripped on the ID spline. Put fresh parts in should take care of lift . I am leaning towards losing prime on the delay of lift. We'll see. Thanks ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-06-30          193032

812 did not mean to imply you made error and sorry if I did. Just the 601 was very popular here and was surprise to learn there was a 681 but what I found on it matches what you have said about it. Goes to show how well the Ford dealership here sold the 601 at Ford's top of the line. We were tobacco country which was one row crop full 54 inches wide. The 601 Ford and 135 Massey with some model of JD which I was not around enough to remember were kings here for years in those fields. They were and still are great one row tractors. Those tractors ruled before soybeans were ever planted here. I hope you well in your repair on the tractor but the 601 did not use the same oil your 681 calls for.

Do you know what the two speeds of the pto are? The 540 was standard. One thing will mention to you, the 601 did NOT have over running pto clutch. If you use a pto implement such as rough cut mower do check your tractor and if it does not get you one that installs between the tractor and the pto shaft to prevent being pushed into a pond or such. ....

View my Photos
812keepr

2015-06-30          193035

KTThompson the speeds are 540 and 1000. there is a lever in front of the left foot pad to switch. The PTO is live but will not push the tractor when the interrupter pedal is pressed .
The pump rebuild/new drive gear took care of the lift. Time will tell if it took care of the delayed lift. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-07-02          193042

812keepr,
The more you tell about the 812 the more I realize the 601 was a very basic tractor. We have a pond and ditches here and with the 601 working with cutter there was tough. You had to be ready to push it gear shift lever out of gear so the cutter would NOT push you.

Sure did not realize the 1,000 pto had been around that long. One thing think you are proving here, it pays to know your options before you buy for some of those options can really make a big difference for little additional cost when you are using a tool.

If you could post pictures it would be nice. Be safe and have fun. God Bless kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login