Go Bottom Go Bottom

CONDENSER EATING FORD 600

View my Photos
KATOOCH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-10          186648

Hello all....I've had a 1956 Ford 600 for many many years. Converted to 12 volts 10+ years ago with no problems. All of a sudden it is eating ignition condensers? I am running a resister in line so the points & condenser only see 6 volts...what the he**
thanks in advance for any thoughts & comments
oh yeah...I am buying the points & condenser kits from our local ford tractor dealer

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
46bugs

2013-04-10          186650

Make sure your points are not touching the distrubutor,and if it has been change to 12 votes ,why is part only 6 votes?
Set your points at about 20 thousand,plugs at 25 thousands. ....

View my Photos
mikesloane

2013-04-11          186652

I was having various ignition problems with my 860 and finally gave up and installed a Pertronix ignition module. It resolved ALL of the starting and running problems I was having, and I don't regret the expense. The engine now starts with just a touch of the key, even in sub-freezing weather and never misses a beat. ....

Picture Link
Antique Tractors CONDENSER EATING FORD 600

View my Photos
KATOOCH

2013-04-11          186653

I recently went back to the original points set up cause my pertronix actually caught on fire.... Talked to tech reps at pertronix they sent me a new one & it too "burned" a hole through the side of the module itself. Im 59 years old bee playing with this stuff all my life .... Theses tractors are about as simple as you can get but this one has me stumped..... ....

View my Photos
mikesloane

2013-04-11          186656

Something isn't right. I have converted 4 Farmalls, a Ford, and a Case to Pertronix modules and have never had any problem with any of them.

I am sure you checked, but are you sure you didn't have it wired incorrectly. Or that you are using a 6 volt module on a 12 volt system?

Very strange.

Mike ....

Picture Link
Antique Tractors CONDENSER EATING FORD 600

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-11          186664

Try a different way around. I've never been a fan of using a resistor since there's 3 different conditions a motor could be in, all of which would require a different resistor size. That is, running, engine stopped with points open, and engine stopped with points closed.

It's easier IMHO opinion to run a different coil that will operate on 12 volts. The most common choice is the AC Delco coil (part # U515) and condenser from the same age vehicle.

From your description you have a problem with your resistor, replace it or eliminate it. It sounds like the culprit.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-11          186668

Check the output of your alternator. some of those can go to 300 volts if the regulator goes bad. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-04-13          186678

I'd think you'd see other issues, battery cooked, gauges acting up, etc., if the alternator wasn't regulated.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
taogden

2013-04-13          186681

Still, 12 volts is not enough to eat a capacitor. There are two things that will cause a capacitor to fail, voltage or frequency. Then looking at the other items in the overall post. He had tried a solid state ignition and it blew the side out after burning out the first one.
The 300 volts I indicated would be a peak voltage, an alternator puts out AC, hits the regulator which filters and turns it into dc voltage used by the items in the engine. Take a multimeter, put it on AC and read the output of the alternator. On an ammeter if it is still connected would show slight negative or positive deflection and wiggle. The frequency of the alternator which would be controlled by engine speed may or may not allow for the meter to respond.
As far as things like lights, they could be brighter than normal, if the lights are even working. To me, everything points to an over votage and there are limited ways an over voltage can occur on an old tractor and the alternator is the prime candidate, he needs to at least check it.

One thing that would help, did you convert to 12 volts using an alternator, or a generator?
When you tried the electronic ignition, did you take your resistor out of the 12 volt line? Those can be just as easily killed by an under voltage as an over voltage ....

View my Photos
KATOOCH

2013-04-14          186702

Thanks for all the input fellows...as soon as I get a break from work I will take it through the motions & be sure to get to all to let you know what I find...Thanks so much
KATOOCH ....

View my Photos
Duster

2013-05-25          187067

My 12 volt converted 55 Ford 600 kept burning points until I installed a resister in line. That was 5 years ago and I haven't burnt up a set since then. This tractor just pulls a trim mower following a 15 foot bat wing, but it gets used quite a lot in the Summer months with no issues. PJ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login