Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 681 Select-O-Speed Questions

View my Photos
SpencerP
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-10-04          185111

I recently purchased a 681 SOS (year=1960). Am rebuilding the engine and the transmission looks good. I have the necessary manuals (even got the owner's manual) but still have a couple of questions.

1)There is a lever on the left side and just forward of the seat (lower on the transmission casting) marked on and off. Anyone know what it turns on or off?

2) The pull handle on the dash...I'm assuming that if I pull it out I disengage the PTO and with it in the PTO runs...right? (if I'm wrong...what does it do?) I originally thought this was to shift it to the higher PTO speed, but I found another lever on the transmission housing that I think (maybe) does that.

Many thanks for your input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-10-05          185112

May not be the same by we had a 601 and the lever on the transmission I am right certain is for the pto. Think there is option for live pto meaning it runs all the time with clutch out and then not sure what is it called but only runs when wheels are turning over. At same time if there is not an overrunning clutch been added to the pto shaft (goes between the pto shaft on outside of rear end and the pto shaft to the implement) be sure to. Ofther wise a heavy cutter or such will PUSH you dangerously even with clutch pushed in.

Totally guessing but the control on dash may be for the type of shifter/transmission you have. ....

View my Photos
SpencerP

2012-10-05          185117

Thanks for the help. From some others I've learned that the lever on the transmission is the ground speed PTO (not sure but I think that one's operated by the rear wheels turning). The one in the front is for the dual speed setting on the PTO. Seems I can run it at 540 and 1000. The pull lever on the dash engages/disengages the PTO. Seems I had things backwards and thought that in was engaged and out was off....it's the other way around (which is why it didn't cut grass out in the pasture). I'm feeling a bit out of my league here. I've dove into this thing with little mechanical background (but I do tend to learn best when I'm up to my waist in alligators). Thanks again for the help.

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-10-09          185140

I am surprised Ford had a two speed pto then. Impressed. Be ure you don't use the 1000 with implement rated for 540. You are probably right when in ground speed setting rear wheel drive the pto. That can be handy with some jobs not sure what. Maybe like a spreader you want to stop when you stop at end of field or such. I think you will find you are suppose to use the clutch when engaging and disengaging the PTO and unless different that on the 601 it is a single stage when means the PTO and transmission are both engaging at same time. Do be sure you have over running clutch on it or you may find yourself in a ditch using such as rough cut mower. ....

View my Photos
SpencerP

2012-10-10          185144

When it was running I think the ground speed was engaged. I also think the PTO was set to 1000 rpm. I don't think I engaged the PTO anyway. For all I know this might be trashed as well. It was leaking oil so badly I could hardly run it. Rebuild kit arrives tomorrow. We'll get the motor back up and running and then see what is happening with the PTO. At least I think I understand it a little better now. BTW....I used to live in SC...some years back (Greenwood). Out in Oregon now. Thanks for your help. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-10-10          185146

Do keep us posted on the tractor.

I leave near Myrtle Beach. First time I was in the Greenwood area was amazed as the difference in trees and grass there. Much cooler weather types than here. Boy when you moved you moved. LOL ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-10-11          185150

The first true power shift type tractor I ever drove was a Ford Selectospeed backhoe, in the early 70's, way too long ago to remember the model number. It belonged to a friend who I used to help a bit on a part time basis, digging anything from stumps to water lines.
They must have been a pretty tough transmission, it led a hard life and never gave out while he owned it.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
SpencerP

2012-10-11          185151

The Select-O-Speed transmission got off to a rocky start. From what I've read so far, Ford had trouble with this transmission early on, but corrected it in later versions. Not before folks became less than enthusiastic about it. None the less it has proved to be a pretty strong transmission.

Another question....

The shop manual refers to a replaceable filter in the transmission case (accessed through the top...where the two cables enter). I can't find a part number in the catalog. Anyone know anything about these filters....perhaps where I can get one? I would guess that it needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-10-12          185156

Try Baldwin Filters, I'm sure they have a website. I used to use a lot of their filters. They have good quality and an unbeliveable amount of the hard to get filters.

Frank ....

View my Photos
LarryNCKS

2015-11-13          194043

I know this is an old post. I tripped across it looking for SOS wiring diagrams for the 01 and early 000 series tractors.

There's a lot of mixed up information in replies here, very little of it relevant. Most responders are mixing transmission types that have nothing to do with a dual speed/ground speed PTO in *81 models.

Perhaps most importantly, there is absolutely no need for an overrunning clutch on the PTO of any Select O Speed equipped tractor.

Secondly, the transmission filter located under the top cover of these early tractors is not something that can be found at Wix, Baldwin or any of those other well known names. Is has just recently been made available again at DennisCarpenter. It had been NLS for some time at Ford (NH). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login