Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 850 Power steering Roll Bar add on how to

View my Photos
Shealray
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-10-11          180798

I own a Ford 850 tractor. Would like to make it easier to steer with out using hydraulic cost way to much money. Also would like to add a roll bar. All this must be done as cost effective as possible. I know of one state offering assistance to help with the cost of adding roll bars to the farmers. I live in missouri and programs to help with roll bars in my state.

Thanks for you time.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-11          180800

Increase front tire pressure, and carry a heavy rear implement.

Find a tractor salvage yard, and ask them to put out a call for the ROPS. ....

View my Photos
Shealray

2011-10-11          180801

The tractor has a set of weights in the front,I believe that is also adding friction the the steering. So as you advised I am putting my 501 7 foot sickle on the back as I will be using this tractor for cutting hay and raking.

Thank you for the help ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-12          180819

My understanding that tractor did not offer roll bars and thus finding one to fit and how to mount it might be hit and miss. Not sure the fender mount on axle is sufficient for roll bar mount. Family had a 601 which is very much like this and working off of memory on that.

As to the steering; thought it was stiff for building muscles, am I wrong? Our 601 was decent until it was rolled (yes no roll bar) and damaged the steering. Are you sure the gear box at bottom of the steering column has oil in it, adjust properly and bears are good? same for front tires mounts to the tractor? Not bent due to pushing with front tires or such? What are you needing weight on it for? Yes any extra weight on the front end is adding to steering force needed. Learn to steer only while moving. ....

View my Photos
Shealray

2011-10-12          180823

The Ford 850 came with a weight in the front. I will be using this with my 501 sickle with a 7 foot bar. The other tractor I have is a Ford workmaster with front loader and back weight on the tires. I use the workmaster with my 501 sickle. I found the Ford 850 without the front end loader. I though it would get better gas milage and not have to watch out for the front loader. So I have not tried the Ford 850 with the 501 sickel on the back yet to see how the balance is. The Ford 850 started out as just a simple paint job and turned into fixing things as I scraped off the grease and dirt. I had to learn as I go. I am use to draving only with power steering so not sure how no power steering is suppose to feel. I am a lady suppose could get stonger.
Any tips on how to adjust the steering and how to check if steering bearing are bad. I have a manual will take a look at that for assistance.
Sure would like to get a roll bar. I thought of attaching it on the fender. Who would know proper fitting for roll bar?

Thank you for the information. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-10-12          180825

A roll bar attached to fenders doubt would be any benefit and might be a negative for they more than likely would cause the fenders to bend just the weight and vibration from using the tractor. Roll bars must mount to the frame of the tractor and all I have seen bolt to the rear axle housing and the fenders to them. To get full value of roll bar you will also need seat belt.

As to how easy the manual steering should be...you should be able to turn it when the tractor is moving without straining. The amount of air in the front tires (low pressure is harder to turn) wide tires also harder. Does your front tires have a single or three ribs or they like car tires with full flat thread to them? If like car tires that will increase how hard they are to turn.

As to checking the gear box for oil there should be a plug to remove to check the level (it might be a square head like a pipe plug or a hex for an Allen wrench). Bearings would think you could feel binding or feel loose play in them. A way to test this might be to jack up the front end of the tractor and then see how easy the steering turns, it should be very easy. If not then you will need to determine where binding is and what is causing it. Try working the steering linkage parts by hand with the front wheels clear and if there is excess wear you should be able to feel the looseness. Are you sure all grease fittings are being greased?

I assume the steering on this tractor is much harder than the Workmaster? Is not the design of the steering linkage the same? Would think the effort would be the same. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-10-12          180827

A ROPS needs a more solid mount than a fender. Just don't roll it. Setting the rears as wide as they go, and ballasting them, increases the stability. ....

View my Photos
Shealray

2011-10-12          180831

My front tires have 3 ribs. I did as you said and looked at the steering column. There was a grease plug, so I figured this is a gear box for steering. I raised the front tires off the ground and turned the steering wheel. It felt stiff, but I did not feel any grinding of bearing. I then was able to put 1 full grease stick in the the gear box before it starting coming out at the zert. Next I turned the steering wheel again and noticed a big difference, allot smoother easer to turn the wheels. I am now going to put grease in any thing that has a grease zert for the front end. All other fluids in the tractor are full, such as hydraulics, oil, water with antifreeze.

I planned on placing a roll bar attached where the finders attach to the rear axle. Not sure, but think the finders will mount OK to with the roll bar in place.

My steering wheel has the entire grip off so it is about ½ thick bar plus it is bent up bad. I tried to adjust it, but it still needs lots of help.

Now I will be looking for a replacement steering wheel.

Thank you for your help.

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-10-13          180844

Improvement, good. It might be with a through grease job it is workable. If there was major need of grease it should get little better when used and greased again. The steering wheel being bent may mean it had a load to hit on it or it has been rolled damaging the wheel and also the steering column or gearbox. Hope not.

You might find a replacement steering wheel on ebay.

As to roll bars, are you working around ditches or other sharp drop offs?

A question you have not mentioned, think both of your tractors have a pto that works with single stage clutch and no over running pto system. That would mean the pto and gear to move both engage and disengage together. If so using a heavy pto devise on it can push the tractor even when the clutch is depressed while the pto driven device continues to run. If so look at getting a pto over run clutch. It will attached to the pto shaft on the tractor and the implement shaft then to it. This will probably mean your pto shafts are too long and would need to be checked carefully before connecting or you could damage the full pto drive line from tractor to implement. If they are too long normally then can be cut. If so you will find postings on that here but just ask.

Have a great day and a safe one.

Link:   over runn clutch

View my Photos
Shealray

2011-10-13          180852

I try and stay as level as I can. People let me do their small fields 7 areas being the largest for hay. The hay is for my 3 horses which make compost for our garden. So I am very tuned into balance and my surroundings.

My husband and I work hard to be in balance with nature.

I do know about the over riding clutch. I plan to invest in that safety measure before using my brush hog.

My workmaster has power steering and I used it to cut hay last season. I do like the non live PTO for the reason the 501 sickle stops when the tractor stops.
Also have a Ford 5000 tractor with front end loader to muscle the big bails around.

I have a Vermeer 605C I just replaced the pickup bearing on it runs like a clock.
Thought of getting a smaller bailer with lower profile for the small fields.

Have any thought on that?

THANKS ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-10-13          180862

All I can tell you on hay baler is, wish could afford one. Then know what I would plant our place in.

Post the questions on hay baler in new thread, will get better attention. ....

View my Photos
Cwfarms

2013-12-30          188555

Use the fender mount holes and put fender on top of ROPS MOUNT, you could modify from this and have a plate under the axil for a second set of Bolts too. ....

Picture Link
Antique Tractors Ford 850 Power steering  Roll Bar add on how to

View my Photos
Cwfarms

2013-12-30          188556

Here are plans for ROPS for an 8n, it wouldn't be much different for the 860, http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/aginjury/crops/pdfs/Ford%208N/Ford%208N%20Technical%20Drawings.pdf ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login