Go Bottom Go Bottom

Auto Manufacturer parts availability policies

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-02          118806

We have a 94 Ford Taurus SHO and are finding that parts have been getting harder to come by for it the last few years. The dealer says that Ford is required by law to have parts available for some period of time (he thought seven years) and after that parts are discontinued.

Anyone know what the policies of other manufacturers might be? Seven years doesn't seem to be a long time given the cost of new vehicles and the length of time they're financed these days. Just when you pay it off spare parts are discontinued.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-02          118807

My understanding that spare parts availability is required for 10 years. Looks like you are SOL. Sorry Ken. Any parts in particular that you are trying to get? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-02          118808

At this point it's just a trim piece for the dash. I could probably find one in a junk yard. We'll be selling it anyway but I'm thinking this problem will have to be considered when selecting brands for future purchases. The problem is worse with all the sensors needed in modern vehicles. If you can't get something like a throttle position sensor you're SOL. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-02          118814

Ken, Nissan says they will have the parts on the shelf for 5 years. The life span of a model. After that you may need to order to Japan.
One of the reason I have stuck with Volvos is the availability of parts. Average life span of a Volvo was 18 years in NA and longer in Europe so almost anything was available at a price. Now they are front wheel drive and owned by Ford I am not so keen. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-03          118862

There are many many SHO web sites out there. I have be trying to find a later model 96 up SHO for a while (for the right price). These sites always have helpful people just like here. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-03          118863

The standard is 10 years if they are sold in the US. Most however will go 15. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-03          118866

The SHO sites are great. They helped me find an intermittent problem with the mass airflow sensor that the dealer couldn't find. A 50 cent piece of wire. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-04          118913

Add two more parts to the list that are NLA for the SHO. Throttle and Speedometer cables are NLA. Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Fords? ....

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-04          118919

Does this parts issue only apply to cars ??
My F-250 Ford pickup is 15 years old and I have no problems what so ever getting parts... ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-05          118963

Ken,

Have you tried these guys? ....

Link:   Auto Parts Giant

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-05          118971

With the SHO, it is a special build with limmited production numbers. But for does stink. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-05          118978

Thanks for the pointer Randy. They don't have the throttle cable, which is what I badly need. They may have the speedo cable, I have to take some measurements. There are places that make custom speedo cables for $20 so that's an easy one. Not sure if they also make throttle cables. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-11-09          119143

It's not just the auto guys. Most industries where product life is in years go back 10 years as a minimum on parts. When I worked on snowmobiles, parts went back 10 years. But we often tried to make parts forward and backwards compatable, especially on the common to break parts.

I'm in the appliance industry now and it's similar. If parts are high movers, we'll keep selling them. But once the volumes drop, costs go up exponentially which drives the price up and often way beyond what someone is willing to pay for it. So the decision has to be made of when to make the part NLA - No Longer Available.

In the case of your SHO, it may have been unique and not a high volume part. So it became a major problem just to procure it, let alone let it sit on a shelf somewhere for years until someone wants it. That's money just sitting there.

I'm in the parts business now and I understand the issues. Look at little plastic parts. Totally cheap to make in production. But once it's out of production and you only sell 50 a year, you get hosed on costing. Supplier will charge $500 to setup the mold so if you order only 100 parts, that's $5 per part in mold setup alone. That's why little plastic pieces can get really expensive really fast. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-14          119328

We can't find a new throttle cable for a 94 Ford SHO 3.0 V6 5-speed anywhere. We found one at a junkyard out of state but no guarantees that it will be any better than the one we have now and they want big money for it. I don't mind the money if they guarantee it, but they won't. Does anyone know a place that can make a custom throttle cable? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-15          119391

Did you try looking at a non sho cable to see what the differences are?

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-15          119393

Not yet. Even the 3.2L SHO uses a different cable than the 3.0L. The dealer told me it used a unique cable. I've emailed four suppliers that advertise on the SHO sites, but no response yet. I was hoping that it was a simple cable that could be taken apart and lubed, but it's sealed on both ends so taking it apart means breaking something. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-16          119424

I knew the 3.2 was different but the 3.0 in the sho is just a tuned up motor from regular production.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-16          119427

The SHO 3.0 is a Yamaha, not regular production. There is a regular production 3.0, but it's not 24 valve with 2 overhead cams. I looked up the specs in Ford's sales literature for the 94 SHO 3.0 vs 3.2 engines, and interestingly enough they both are rated at 220 hp. The 3.2 has 15 more ft lbs of torque. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-16          119429

What was I thinking then? How bout the throttle cable for the later sho with the V8? Can you take any pictures of the way the cable hooks up to the throttle body and send them to me? It is a direct cable from throttle body to pedal? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-16          119430

It's been in the shop the last two weeks waiting for a new cable and we just picked it up today. I'll take some pics tomorrow when it's light and post 'em. It doesn't have a throttle body, instead it has SEFI port fuel injection.

Oneace, do you have a SHO? What year and engine? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-16          119432

No I am looking for a third gen in good to excellent condition. But I would not mind having one like yours because I hate automatics which is all that is avalible for gen III. Did you look in the classifieds at this site? ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-16          119433

I should also say with less than 50,000 mi. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-16          119434

I found a source for a used cable, but really would like a new one. After awhile they seem to bind up some making the throttle very stiff and I don't want to pay for a used one that I can't examine first.

Ours is one owner, never a wreck. Lots of new parts - radiator, A/C condenser and evaporator, timing belt and front seal in the last year, steering rack, struts all around, brakes, upgraded clutch a long time ago, belts and hoses, and more. Leakdown test at around 140k miles was great and compression was near new. Always ran synthetic oil changed at 3-5k intervals. Dirty but not very worn interior. All records. The bad? Normal scrapes and dings, electric antenna doesn't go all the way down, stiff throttle cable, drove about 1200 miles/year on gravel the last five years. Too bad it has 160k miles. I'll probably put it up on ebay motors in the next month or two. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login