Go Bottom Go Bottom

Market Value 1951 FORD 8N Sherman Trans

View my Photos
JackHardman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-05          87811

Extensive mechanical rebuild and restoration. New ring gear and pinion, resleeved engine and all new bearings, pistons and rings, valves, guides, etc. Sherman over/under transmission. Several new rod ends, rear axle bearing seals, new brakes, new rear wheels with knobby turf tires (still like new), repainted, new side panels, new proof meter. Radiator sent out for repair. 12 volt alternator. Clean, about 50 hours since rebuild. Click on pictures to enlarge.

I'm looking to replace the 8N with something a little smaller for my retirement home. Can anyone suggest a reasonable selling price? Where should I advertise its availability?

Thanks, Jack

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-05          87818

Around here, about $3000-$4000. Don't know what the Sherman auxillary will add; I've seen units by themselves go for $500-$1000.
I believe you can place a classified ad on this board; will reach more antique tractor enthusiasts at ytmag.com, where you can place picture ads, classified with no picture, or auction.
Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
dont-il

2004-06-11          88301

I've come to find that it all depends upon your location. In N. central Il., the prices are higher than average. I noticed you made no mention of hydralic(sp?) work, I will assume thats part of the "Extensive mechanical rebuild". I was unable to look at your pics, page not found.

In my area, if its as nice as you say, could go $3500-5000. The sherman does help, $500-1000 more as the other posted mentioned.

Im new to this board, unable to tell if they have a classifieds/for sale area. As the other poster mentioned, ytmag.com is a very nice site.

FWIW....HTH....don t. .... ....

View my Photos
JackHardman

2004-06-11          88309

Thanks for your response, Don. Yes, the hydraulic pump was also rebuilt. I just forgot to include that in my description.
I just checked the picture link in my original posting and it still works correctly. I am attaching the same link to this posting. Click on the underlined words "Picture Link". Click to enlarge pics.
Thanks all for your contributions. Jack ....

Picture Link
Antique Tractors Market Value 1951 FORD 8N   Sherman Trans

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-08-03          92639

KEEP IN MIND! the "Sherman" tranny is a BIG deal with the tractor pull folks,,it is priceless,(so im told) ....

View my Photos
Jack Hardman

2004-08-04          92675

Thanks all for your helpful comments. This tractor sold quickly for the asking price of $4000.

I will replace it for mowing, snow plowing, and to assist in fall leaf pickup with either a Kub. L3130 or a NH TC-33DA.

Any thoughts as to which you would select? I like the smaller size of the TC-33, tighter turning radius (not SSteer) and I seem to prefer the plastic body panels rather than Kub's more easily dented sheet metal. Does that make sense? Any experience here?

For mowing I will use my 5' bush hog or perhaps a 3PH finish mower for about 8 acres of rough grass on fairly smooth ground with some mild grades at about 3 week intervals. For the 1200' paved driveway I will start using my back blade, and possibly upgrade to a front mount blade or snow blower in the future.

I propose to use Titan Turf tires.

Regards,

Jack, in Northern Virginia ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-04          92683

There have been a few plastic vs. sheet metal debates here over the years, with few if any changing their minds. I like the solid feel of sheet metal but prefer no-rust no-dent no-paint plastic for lower maintenance. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-08-04          92687

I was a little suspicious of the plastic New Holland tractors at first. I've dropped a block or two of firewood on my TC29 fender, and it didn't hurt it a bit. Mine is almost 4 years old now, and if I were to wash/wax it, the plastic would look close to new. So, yeah, I'm a fan. Don't know if it will last 50 years like the old Fords, but we'll see.
I've had a chance to use an 8N and my TC back-to-back and they are comparable in pulling power. What you give up with the industrial tires you get back with the 4wd.
If you haven't used a modern compact, you'll love the live PTO and hydraulics.
Good luck,
Bill ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login