Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
thipp473
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-30          84792

I am a first time tractor buyer looking for a unit to use on 10 acres. About 7.5 to mow (nice pasture) and 2.5 woods that needs some serious cleaning out of multiflora rose, and of course snow removel from a 700 foot slightly inclined driveway.

I've looked at all the big names (NH, JD, Kubota) 4WD, hydro with loader and rear mount mower about $18,000 give or take. I ran into a Ford 9N that has been restored, looks and runs great with a loader, all new hydralics etc. The guy who restored it is asking $5500.00 and for $800.00 or so I could add a mower to total around $6300.00. My question is am I going to be happy with a 9N with a loader, obviously no 4WD etc. manual tranny, no power steering or brakes. Looking for a little advice, well actually alot.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-30          84793

thip473, I love my 9N but I have to say it is somewhat limited especially for loader work. I tried a friend's 8N with a loader and it did not work any where near as well as I expected. Also, I assume you are talking about a rough cut mower. The 9N pto is direct drive when engaged and the momemtum of the spinning cutter will tend to push you forward when you step on the clutch to stop. There is a fix for this.

For $6300 you are getting close to what it would cost to get a used 4WD CUT with the same or more horsepower. In it's day it was probably the best you could buy. But remember, the 9N is between 62 and 65 years old.
Dave

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
thipp473

2004-04-30          84796

Shortmagnum - Thank you for the advice, that's generally what I've been learning about the 9N. Your home/land sounds awesome and the pictures look great. ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-30          84802

thipp473, Thanks for the compliment. I love my little farm too.

I didn't like being so negative about the 9N because it's got so much soul. If you're willing to do things at its speed, you can accomplish much with it. One thing it does have going for it is it stability on hills. I've probably driven ours for 40 years and never felt the sphincter warning system go off until I tried to take my new Kubota on the same sidehill that I'd used the 9N on many times.

If money is an issue you can probably get a nice running 9/2/8N for $2000-$3000 and be able to get your money back easily if you don't like it. Better yet, the Ford Jubilee is similar sized but has both live hydraulics and pto for around $3500 or so. Up in the $6k range there are many possible tractors that could work for you, but most are not as compact in size as the N series or have as low a center of gravity.

Have fun looking.
Dave ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-08-03          92640

THIPP,,be SURE you know what "live" lif and "live" PTO mean,,BE SURE YOU KNOW! ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
Bostock

2006-04-17          127854

question regarding the old Fords - what kind of HP (particularly at the PTO) do they typically have? I have a small farm, maybe 5.5 acres of field to work (basically flat or slight grade). Mostly bush hog, some post holes to dig etc. Could an old Ford handle that? I have been shopping the NH and Kubotas, figure i need 25-30 HP. But i have seen many 9n's and 8n's for sale - and i know NOTHING about them. Any one with sound advice?
Thanks! ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-04          131695

I just got my old tractor running again after a long long re-build job. Mine is a 2n,8n hybred. Yes, it can handle post holes wonderfully. And yes, it can run a brush hog BUT Heed all the other guys warnings here about the dangers of a live pto and brush cutters. At 5.5 acres, a tractor like this may be your ticket! make sure your very mechanically inclined cause you MAY need to be (or may not if your lucky).
I would vote against using it for a brush cutter if I were is a crowd and put on the spot but in all honesty, my old tractor and a brush cutter would work just fine if the driver used his head ALL the time.
Be safe and good luck
BTW
Mine would pull a 2 bottom plow all day long! ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-04          131696

I had a 9N for about a year and a half before selling it and buying a new New Holland TC33D. The difference is nite and day---4x4 traction, hydrostat drive, diesel, reliability, suspened seat, cruise control, tilt wheel, telescoping wheel, SuperSteer, locking rear differential ---a full ROPS and seat belt. Oh yeah power steering! The 9N with a lodaer will be a bear to steer with a loaded loader. The loader is really for cleaning horse/cow stalls, not moving dirt necessarily. IMHO anything over $3000 and you might as well make that a down payment on brand new one at 0% interest perhaps---I'm jis' saying.

Do yourself a favor though: if you're leaning toward a new one but can't afford it now---DON'T even test drive a new one. Buy the 9N and be happy and act as if it's the best thing since sliced bread. Like they say, "You don't miss what you never had" (or at least that's what I tell myself when I see new toy...errr...piece of equipment----yeah, that's it. ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-05          131705

I used a 601 Workmaster which is newer than the N's. If you buy the tractor be sure you install an over running PTO clutch, it really could save your life.

In my part of the world the price of those tractors has been dropping. As a dealer pointed out to me and the age has been pointed out already, those who grew up with this tractor are not doing much buying any more. This seems to hold true with most collectors. ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-07-05          131713

I don't have anything against the 9N/2N/8N tractors but there are better choices for the same, or less, money. The 801 series can be found with power steering and live PTO, and have more HP. The price you quoted for a restored 8N is high, in my opinion. Unless you're a real collector I think you could find one for quite a bit less that would be just as functional.

For around $4000 you could easily find a Massey Ferguson diesel like the 135 that is 35 HP, independent PTO and hydraulics, and power steering.

The negative side of that is you'll have to put up with or repair the occasional leaking seals, a little oil consumption, and worse overall appearance.

Like Earthwrks says, the old tractors are adequate for what you're looking for, but using a new one would ruin you pretty quick. Although I do enjoy using my old Farmalls.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
iamhistory

2007-07-12          143639

I too am w/ earthworks.............if you are that concerned about spending the high dollars for new equipment, then don't even look at it.

I just went thought this same exact scenario. On my property I have a JD2155 and an IH560. They are old and not designed for jobs the way these new machines are. I went and bought a new Kubota B7800 w/ fel, 60"mmm, 60" bush hog and a 6ft. blade. The Kubota is 1/2 the machine in size of my other two and does a tremendous amount of work.

I will no longer be without hydro or 4x4 when it comes to regular work. Don't get me wrong, nothing pulls or pushes like my 560 and the 2155 can really plow a field.....both much better for these things than the Kubota. But for all around versatility, maneuverability, reliability, and just all out completion of a job.....my Kubota is one of the best high dollar purchases I've ever made. I take care of my equipment and I expect the 7800 to last me for decades.

I really did my homework when deciding what to do. I talked to dozens of people, posted questions on boards, etc. etc.......probably all the things you are doing now. All it did was make my decision harder. Do your homework and ask people, but take the 100 opinions you get with a grain of salt. Ultimately it's your decision, you have to be happy with it and you have to pay for it. Good luck. ....

Ford 9N purchase

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-07-12          143646

Thipp473,

The 9N you're looking at is priced too high for my liking. (I know it's been restored.......but....) You should be able to find a perfectly good 9N for less than $2,000.

Several years ago, I purchased a 9N with the mower, loader, plow, cultivator, harrow, and cement mixer, for only $1000. I doubled my money less than a year later.

There are thousands of 8N and 9N tractors available at prices much lower than the one you're looking at. If you are planning to spend that much money on the 9N, I believe you'd be far better off finding yourself a used modern tractor, for about the same amount of money.

The 9N is a good tractor. It is one of the best of its type ever made. Nearly every farmer has owned one at one time or another. They are dependable machines, but they are very basic tractors with absolutely no modern safety features, and they can be hazardous to operate.

A fully restored 9N might be worth 6300 to a collector, but nobody else.

Joel

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login