Go Bottom Go Bottom

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
coastside
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-19          137093

I'm thinking of getting a PTO driven winch for my 1951 8N. What's out there, and is Farmi the best option, and if so, what would be anyone's experience?

Thanks,
Coastside

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-19          137096

Farmi is a good one. My concern on a old Ford is the stoutness and lenght of the lift arms, no front end weight. If you take your time and ALWAYS make sure you are in a straight pull and keep the cable under the lower pulley you should be ok.

Your greatest problem is front end weight. You are gonna haf2 hang some (read lots) weight out there to keep the front end down. If you are verrrrrrry careful about your set up you might get past that.

I used one all summer on my 4400 and had it up on its side, not over, more than once. I was skidding in some very steep terrain. I'd have to reset many times and use additional pulleys attached to trees to keep straight pulls on some of the larger beech. Also cut logs smaller.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER SKID FROM THE SEAT!!!!!!!!!!! With a light tractor. Can you do it? Yes with in reason. Have I done it? Yes BUT I was very confident about the set up.

Good Luck Harvey ....

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-19          137099

Not being totally familar with what you're doing, but would a good 12V electric winch be the ticket? I have pulled many a stuck full size truck out of the hole with an electric 8,000lb. winch, and found that even a 5,000lb. will work fine on a Jeep to pull itself out of several feet of sticky mud. In a pinch, the cable could be run down under the tractor and out the front. If you did it right you could make a quick attach mount out of 2" trailer hitch reciever tube be interchangable with your truck should want extra versatility. Some of the larger winches can draw a lot of amperage--like 400A at full load, so you might want to add a battery near the winch too if you will be lugging it. I'm also assuming you have a 12v alternator on the 8N (my '47 9N had a 6V)

If you had a modern tractor with hydraulics there are hydraulic powered winches for wreckers and rollbacks which start at 8-10Klb. which I've seen on eBay for a few hundred bucks. And a co. called Milemarker sells an offroader version of an electric 5-12K winch which has a hydraulic motor connected to the vehicle's power steering pump. ....

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-19          137126

Let's see, the three point hitch pumps stops when you step on the clutch:( The pto stops when you step on the clutch:( The majors are Norse(favorite) farmi and Fransguard sold in this area. ....

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
coastside

2006-11-20          137146

Thanks for all the quick and good advice. This 8N has a huge front-mounted hydr. pump that runs the front-end loader, so maybe the first order of business is to think about what could be attached to that system to run a smaller rear-mounted winch. What I'm hoping for is just something that will spool freely without tangling, and have a couple hundred feet of wire on it that might have a few different speeds by gear shift or hydrol. speed. The logs I'm thinking about are not large - maybe 18 inches or so. Tires are weighted, so the advice about front-end weight is helpful. But the land is level, anyway.

Thanks for the advice, all. This was helpful!

Coastside ....

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-11-20          137150

How about mounting the winch (electric or hydraulic) on the top side of the er loadbucket (temp. or permanently), then tilt the bucket so that the cutting edge digs into the ground providing an anchor. If the log gets hung up, raise the loader. I've heard of guys using the hood of a car as a skid or sled under the front of the log o make it slide better.

Another option for a winch is a capstan type. It could spin whenever the PTO was engaged so you do't have to control the speed or clutch it, necessarily. You could modify an old leather belt drive pulley or make one to fit the PTO, then retrun it 90 degrees to get it to go straight back from the tractor (ther are 90 dgree angle drives Fordson sold for this pupose--I had two for $75 each). With the capstan your only limitation is on the length of the wire rope...how much can you carry? Capstans were factory installed on Land Rovers (and/or Unimogs) back in the 50-60's. The capstan was actually mounted in the center of the vehicle under the floor. A door allowed access to it. Most likely this let the driver operate the vehicle and the winch from inside. Fairleads front and back gave you a choice of direction of pull. The only down side was you had to thread the fairlead BEFORE you got stuck, so you ended up dragging the winch cable with you into the drink. ....

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
coastside

2006-11-20          137152

Thanks, that's a great idea. I could just mount a capstan (we call them bit-heads here on the coast of Maine) on a diverted hydrol. line that dumps the bucket, or run the line back to free fluid. I've lifted many a net full of herring with those puppies!! ....

logging winch for 8N

View my Photos
Murf

2006-11-20          137158

The safest way to do it, is to make yourself up a logging arch.

Basically a two-wheeled jeep or dolly converter if you know what that is. Except in this case it is a very high upside-down U-shape. Mount the winch on top of the arch and pull the log like a trailer. That way you can pull it from the drawbar not the 3 pth.

This will dramatically lower the risk of a roll-over if the log is to heavy, or snags on something.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login