Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oil in water but no water in oil

View my Photos
chipuren
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-03          107222

Just took an 8n in on trade. oil is black as pitch, both in the crankase and regrettably the top 1/2 inch in the radiator too.

I have seen oil get into water on OHV engines through a bad head gasket, but what is the most likely cause on a flathead 8N? Any ideas?

No sign of water in oil pan, at least on the dipstick, just oil in the water.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-04          107236

Check the compression and you might find your problem area. Oil runs at more pressure then the coolant will. TO leave a piece static for 24 hours will allow the coolant to seperate and it will be the first out when you loosen the drain plug slightly. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-10          107757

My '47 9N had the same thing until I started running it a lot (hadn't been run in many years). And my buddy's 8N is same way, but a lot more. We both used a dry paper towel twisted on the end to dip into the radiator and soak up the oil. After a while it stopped coming. I'm not a mechanic so I can't tell you the hows and whys it got there. Probably the head gasket from my experience with cars. If you get water (not coolant) in the oil that can come from condensation forming in the crankcase when it is turned off and sucks in cold air. But that too seems to evaporate with running it. ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2005-03-10          107758

Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but I will try to draw the oil out with a suction gun and run it some and see if it comes back.
My first thought was head gasket, but I don't know if there is any oil passages into the flathead, cant imagine why there would be? ....

View my Photos
bigtractor

2005-03-13          107935

We had the exact same thing no water in oil but rad was a mess.

Was a blow head gasket and a cracked head.

Heads are cheap and gasket kits are nothin.

Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login