Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best way to sharpen blades on rotary cutter

View my Photos
Redmessage
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-18          38749

I know this may be a simple question, but what is the best way to sharpen the blades on my 5' rotary cutter? I would prefer to not have to remove the blade and sharpen while attached. But do you use a grinder disk on a drill or what? What type of grinder disk? The pasture I have to mow is just medium density grass, no saplings or small trees. Thanks in advance.

Redman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-18          38764

Redman,

I use a 4" handheld ele. grinder. I don't really sharpen the blades I just dress them up a bit, flaten out the dings but trying to keep about an 1/8" blunt edge.

David ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-19          38775

I keep something of an edge on my riding mower blades but I do it with a big mill-file. Well, the mower still cuts OK and I sharpened the blades about three years ago.

For a rotary cutter that's intended to cut material heavier than grass, I wouldn't want a very sharp cutting bevel. Thin edged blades mash up, or chunks break off, when they hit something woody.

I use a file because I really don't know if these blades are made of mild steel. Mild steel grinds OK on a high-speed wheel, but high-speed grinders generate heat and take the temper out of tempered edges. Quite a few decent wood chisels are rendered pretty useless by box store grinders.

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-05-19          38783

I use a 4" (4.5" ??) angle grinder on my brush mower and do it right on the mower. The grinder was a cheapie, $25 or so. Works great... the only problem I have is figuring out how to direct the grinding sparks so I don't fry myself (heavy gloves and an old Carhart jacket help). I can usually figure out something with pieces of old 2x4 to keep the blades from pivoting while I try to grind them.

I do NOT use a fine grit wheel, since this tends to generate more heat. Take it slow, let things cool as you go.

I try to take off the same amount of each blade to maintain balance, but after a couple of resharpenings I usually pull the blades off and grind to match the weight and balance point of the blades. ....

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2002-05-20          38838

I have a 5' Bush Hog and use a 4.5 angle grinder also, works fine. I use quick clamps, clamped to the back of the cutter to keep the blade from moving. Safety goggles are a must, along with gloves and a jacket. I have found that the blades on the Bush Hog hold their edge much better than the generic cutter I had before.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login