Go Bottom Go Bottom

wanted farm property

View my Photos
keith metler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-05          27784

I have an oportunity to make a lifestyle change in about 1 yr. I will have one son off to college and my other son entering high school. My wife and I are dreaming about moving to the country from the urban setting we have grown up in. We think we can make the big move the summer of 2002. We live in Chicago area and have vacation property in central Wis. which we are very found of but it is lake front property and I "need" ag property to make me complete.We have reviewed listings from realtors in Wis. and Mich. but have been left with the impression that the proprty is less than desireable which is why they are trying to dispose of it. We are looking for a home for my JD4100 which needs to be in the 50-150 acre range complete with barn and possibly a farm house. This will be a cash sale. Maybe you or someone you know has such a farm coming up for sale in the near future? We are interested in meeting them. keith email: kwilbe@ameritech.net

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

wanted farm property

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-05          27787

Don't overlook buying pure farmland with a barn but no house within a few miles of where you want to live. Lots of times the local zoning will make that sort of division attractive. Not for everyone, but a do-able compromise for some. For that much acreage you might need a whole family of JD4100s..... ....

wanted farm property

View my Photos
RCH

2001-05-06          27802

I live in Marshfield WI, known as the city in the middle. I'd call Farm Credit Services at 715 3873765. Also get The Marshfield News Herald, non- affectionately known as the " Marshfield Evening Astonisher" at 715 384 3131 for the want-ads. Also the Marshfield Buyer Guide has want-ads for central WI.They have a web site at www.marshfieldinfo.com Also,especially re farm land Agri-View 715 683 2779 is a local farm newspaper and Country Day,I believe, it's called out of Eau Claire. Landini Realty and Auction Service 715 267 7247 deals in farmland out of Greenwood. A trick I use to avoid real estate fees is get a plat book for each county/township you are interested in, drive around, pull into an intersting looking place and ask. you'll scare up a ton of leads with the turmoil(price of milk!) going on in agricuulture. Death, divorce, retirement and taxes drive the real estate market ....

Link:   

Click Here

wanted farm property

View my Photos
john madland

2001-06-21          29498

The buyer pays no real esate fees in Wisconsin. The seller does. 150 acres with a JD 4100?? I don't think so. You better re-think everything before you make your move. I am a Real Estate Broker who specializes in vacant land. Don't want your business, just giving some advice. ....

wanted farm property

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-06-21          29500

That size of tractor is fine on a thousand acres if all you want to do is mow a big yard and maintain a trail going through the property, collect the occasional boulder for landscaping and such. Dont discourage the fellow, let him buy his dream and allow his own desires afterward dictate his machinery collection. Keith, I just spent Memorial Day at a friend's Grandma's farm near Grand Haven Mi. It was an 80a. parcel, but orginally her grandpa had around half a section and was one of the first of many tree nurseries that dot that area.
The 5 bedroom farmhouse and outbuildings are post card perfect, but not for sale. The area is building up and land like that probably starts at 300k. North of that and east of Mears is an area that I like and acreage should be more reasonably priced. The plat book idea is noteworthy but I would prefer the less aggressive approach of dropping a letter to the owners instead of knocking on doors.
"Statewide" real estate has regional offices in Michigan which print listing books that are informative when I am curious of prices in a certain area.
A few tips I would give are:
Avoid south and east side of dirt roads (dust).
Make sure you own mineral rights!
Old Farmhouses may have old septic systems which could be a flush away from failing.
Avoid underground fuel storage tanks (possibility on a real farm)
Inquire about local zoning and building ordnances before you buy.

good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login