Go Bottom Go Bottom

Should State Tax be paid on out-of-state tractor purchases PA to NY

View my Photos
mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-10          19678

I will probably touch off a lot of debate on this topic but was wondering if any one could share their experiences when buying new/used tractors out-of-state. I am of the opinion that state tax should not have to paid if you live out of state in which the tractor is purchased. Does anyone know how it is supposed to work? Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards Marc

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-09-10          19682

I'm probably jumping into a mess but here goes. I don't know what state you live in but Michigan's tax law basically says that if you live in Michigan you must pay sales tax to Michigan regardless of where you buy it from if you were in Michigan at the time of purchase. If you buy something from a state other than Michigan there is a tax form that is supposed to be filled out and you are supposed to pay the Michigan sales tax. I suspect other states feel the same way. In practice I would guess that few private citizens comply with this sales tax law. ....

View my Photos
Halsey Green

2000-09-10          19683

In Virginia you are suspose to pay the sales tax on out-of-state purchases when you file your income tax. On tractors and farm machinery you can claim exemption from sales tax if the equipment is to be used on a "farm". ....

View my Photos
al

2000-09-12          19752

in Pa. you are supposed to report and pay sales tax on out of state purchases to the pa dept of revenue, this includes mail order etc from out of state.

al ....

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-09-12          19754

If you are purchasing items from out of state you do not pay sales tax to that other state. If that company has an office in your state they will collect sales tax for your state, even if you purchased from a location across the border (assuming that your state has sales tax, are there any left that don't?). Most states, that have sales tax, have a law which says that you have to pay sales tax/use tax on items purchased out of state unless you already paid more than what your state collects for sales tax.

I'm not a lawyer and don't give legal advice, but here in illinois the only advantage to buying out of state (assuming that you report your out of state purchases) is that you might avoid paying city or county charges. For instance, the state of Illinois has a sales tax rate of 6.25% but if you buy in the city of Chicago (who would buy a tractor in the city of Chicago?) the rate is 8.75% due to city and county taxes. These taxes, last time I looked, are not collected on the state income tax return for out of state purchases.

DavidV ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login