Go Bottom Go Bottom

Potato diggers

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-21          189698

I am looking for a simple to build digger for potatoes. Want to use it for Irish, Sweet potatoes and would like it it would work with peanuts.

Looking for something suitable for really large garden. Might plant 1/4 acre of each crop per year. One reason no more is don't have good digging method.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Potato diggers

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-03-21          189704

Kenneth;

Lots of kids sometimes works.
I have no experience digging peanuts but regular potatoes in a garden our size about 1/1000th. of an acre, three rows about 15 ft. long we simply mulched the taters with grass clippings and they would develop right below the mulch, no digging required. Just scratch the mulch over and there laid the taters. Anything much bigger would likely not work, just too much hassle with the clippings plus where would you get that many clippings?
When I was a kid one of the neighbors used to have a regular potato digger that was like an oversize pointed shovel with a cogged wheel behind the shovel the shook some rods to somewhat sort the taters from the soil. There were two wooden handles to guide it while a horse pulled it. I do remember the sandy and dry soils worked the best.

Frank.

Potato diggers

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-21          189705

Kenny, there's a couple of ways you could go. They're dead simple to build, or if you look at places like Northern Tools or Harbor Frieght they have inexpensive 'offshore' middle-busters that would work fine for 'taters.

As for homemade units, a sort of ice hockey stick shaped piece with a sweep head bolted on the bottom and a bracket to accept the top link at the top. Then bolt that to a standard drawbar.

If I can find a picture I'll post it for you.

Best of luck. ....

Potato diggers

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-03-22          189726

Been using a middle buster on cultivator which in not as large as a true middle buster and the results is not that good. Would like to find the old US made one row middle buster but think they have all been scraped. ....

Potato diggers

View my Photos
Murf

2014-03-24          189749

Kenny, the plow tip or 'sweep' is almost always replaceable, they get beaten up in rocky ground and just plain wear out with use.

Tractor Supply Co. has what looks like a decent one. See the link below.

It has a replaceable tip so they would also sell the sweeps, if you already have a middle buster maybe you could just swap out the sweep.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   TSC Middle Buster

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login