Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best Manure Spreaders Review

View my Photos
AbbasChild
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-04-20          183258

Hi Everyone!

I am looking at purchasing a compact PTO driven manure spreader. Ideally a 50 bu size (but some companies only make a PTO in 80 bu). I have a Millcreek dealer really close by; an H&S dealer where I purchased my tractor and a Pequea dealer in the area; I am also looking at ABI (online)(but I think they will be too expensive). Is anyone familiar with these brands? Are there any to stay away from?

Thanks for any feedback!
Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-04-23          183312

I don't know what your going to be spreading but if it's just horse manure it normally is a lighter product then cow manure. Being easier to spread makes the spreaders last a long time with out any problems.
Dairy farmers will get about three years out of an apron chain and a horse farmer gets ten years. The rest of the moving parts wear accordingly. You should get worm gear drive for longer life over any ratchet sytem that might still be built. ....

View my Photos
farm_supply

2012-04-24          183330

You should really give ABI a call. Their spreader is FAR BETTER than the others! The 50 cu ft PTO is $3,495 and the Ground Drive is $2,995. They are built in PA so you could get a pretty low shipping cost or just pick it up. They are only a little more than some other spreaders, but will work better and last far longer. You simply can't beat the quality for the price. They even have financing. ....

Link:   Go With The ABI Classic Manure Spreader

Picture Link
Parts and Repair Best Manure Spreaders Review

View my Photos
AbbasChild

2012-05-01          183422

Thanks for the input.

I have not made any decisions yet. The Pequea spreader seems to be built very similar to the ABI spreader--as far as I can tell--fully welded, 12 G steel. Anyone with any experience with this brand? Also built in PA (Hew Holland, PA).

Should I consider a bigger size, for example the 80bu spreader--if the price was "right"? I am concerned about weight issues on hills. I have a NH T2210 tractor (31 hp). The 50 ABI spreader and the 50bu Pequea spreaders weight 920# and 950# respectively; I would feel comfortable operating these with my tractor. Would going to the 80bu size (1125#) loaded with manure be too much on the hills?

I am someone without experience operating a spreader and looking for some experiential-wisdom!

Thanks!
Mike ....

View my Photos
farm_supply

2012-05-01          183423

I'm not really sure about operating on inclines. I think along with some common sense and following the specs of your tractor tow capacity you will be fine. I did find that your tractor weighs 2,605 lbs. which is likely a good indicator of towing capacity.

Looks like Pequea is a good spreader too. The ABI spreader does have a few additional features that I don't believe the pequea has. Not sure what the price difference is.

These include (From Their Site):

Core-Ten steel - This is more expensive steel that resists rust perforation. (That's a pretty big deal.

Multiple Apron Speeds - All ABI Classic Manure spreaders feature the ability to control the flow rate of manure being applied to the ground. Both the PTO and ground drive units have 4 different speed settings that are controlled by the lever (ground drive units) or pull rope (PTO units). Flow control is accomplished by speeding up or slowing down the apron chain (or conveyor) that feeds manure to the back beaters. You now have a choice of emptying the manure spreader as fast as possible or applying controlled amounts of manure to specific areas to maximize the nutrient fertilizer value of the manure and minimize negative environmental issue such as run-off into water supply. Variable flow control also enables this spreader to handle a very wide range of manure. Let's face it, a manure load can change depending bedding material, stages of decomposition and weather. Many spreaders are unable to handle this variable and only work well when manure consistency is just right. The Classic spreader however can handle just about any horse manure type. Variable flow control enables the user to slow down how fast the manure is being pushed to the back for spreading. This prevents damage and unneeded wear and tear on the spreader components.

A second or third top beater bar - Unlike most manure spreaders that use one beater bar to spread material, ABI Classic manure spreaders use 2 or 3 beaters depending on the unit size. On 25 & 50 cu ft units ABI Classic manure spreaders have one shredder beater that shreds the manure and bedding (hay and straw) into smaller pieces before the manure is passed through to the wide spread paddles and thrown from the spreader. This additional shredding process breaks down the material for quick decomposition which promotes a healthy pasture. On 85 - 130 cu ft units ABI Classic manure spreaders have 2 shredder beaters. One small beater at the top of the spreader to shred the top of mounded material and a large shredder beater just in front of the wide spread beater. The shredder beaters are geared slower than the wide spread beater to maximize shredding power. The 25 & 50 cu ft units feature 32 shredder blades, the 85 cu ft units feature 100 shredder blades, 110 & 130 cu ft units feature 120 shredder blades. The top shredder bar also help to deflect flying material away from the operator and tow vehicle. Shredding the material offers a number of advantages. It exposes more of the manure to sunlight which reduces parasite eggs/fly larva and allows the manure to decompose far more quickly than non-shredded material. It enables the manure to decomposition quickly to encourages a healthy pasture and greatly reduces the amount of time between spreading and horses grazing again on the pasture.

Spray Shield - The shredder hood and spray shield serves two unique purposes. The first is that it directs all manure into the shredder beater to ensure that no manure can pass over the top of the shredder. The second purpose is that it acts as a shield to eliminate front spray off the wide spread beater. This is ideal for "clean" spreading and not having manure thrown toward the operator or tow vehicle!

Rear Safety Bar - A rear safety bar is now standard equipment on ALL ABI Classic manure spreaders. This bar adds yet another safety feature and makes it harder for horses, or anything else, to come in contact with the rear beater bars. This bar also works great as a rear bumper to help protect the spreader when backing into an equipment shed or barn.

Fully welded tongue - Unlike most competitors, the hitch of the ABI Classic manure spreader is an "A" frame style pin hitch and is welded directly to the frame for added strength. This design directs the strain and torque of the tow vehicle and rough terrain directly to the strongest component of the manure spreader, the main frame. Many competitors use a single piece of tube steel or other bolt-on style hitches that can fail under pressure and shorten the life of the manure spreader.

Hope this is helpful... ....

Link:   Classic Spreader Website

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login