Go Bottom Go Bottom

Farmall Cub electrification

View my Photos
John R Johnson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-26          94615

I am striking out finding a 12volt conversion for my 1949 Farmall Cub. I find no generator as I know them on the tractor. I believe the distributor is combined with a magneto to charge the battery plus electrify the coil and ignition. Is this true?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-26          94616

I would hope that Bill Mullens will pick up on this inquiry. He is into antique tractors and has an "A" & "C". He may be able to guide you into the correct direction.

My dad had our IHC "C" converted from a 6 volt system with positive ground to a 12 volt system with negative ground in the 80's. The conversion was done at a CaseIH dealer. A Plymouth Reliant "K" car alternator was used. We still use the same distributor cap, wires, spark plugs and points. They did something like put a resistor in the line for the starter and lights. The old 6 volt barely turned it over, now it spins it like it has no compression.

Sorry, but I don't know the details. Dad's memory went a number of years before he passed on and all that is lost. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-26          94618

You should be able to mount a regular 1-wire internally regulated alternator on it. I've linked below to one such parts store. You should be able to find them cheaper than this one. That and a twelve volt battery and you should be all set. If you have a true magneto you won't need battery power for ignition. ....

Link:   Northern auto parts

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-08-26          94621

I'm afraid I can't be much help on this one. I'll have to query my Dad about it; he is more or less obsessed with electricty, generators and regulators.

We try to keep our tractors as original as possible, so have never done a 12 volt conversion. Dad has un-converted an 8N, though.

As far as a kit for the Cub, I think most people just improvise and adapt. Kits are available for some of the other IH tractors and, of course, for Ford N-series tractors.

I'm not sure about the lack of a generator; I guess originally the magneto equipped tractors had no electric starter and thus needed no battery. It is not unheard of for a farm-use tractor to have no generator or a bad generator, and they just towed it to start, hand-cranked it, or charged the battery occasionally in the barn. But I don't believe the magneto could be used to charge a battery.

My A was originally equipped with a magneto; Granddad converted it to distributor ignition because it (supposedly) wouldn't start when it was wet. But as far as I know it came from the factory with the generator and electric starter.

Maybe try the Farmall forum at ytmag.com ...good group of IH guys there. Some may question why you're converting it, but I say to each his own.

Yooperpete, I've never seen a resistor inline to the starter, but you'd probably need one to the coil; 12v to the coil will overheat and kill it fast. Same as ballast resistor on 70's era Dodge cars. The general opinion is the starter is run for only short periods of time, so the extra voltage isn't likely to hurt it.

My inexpert opinions. Subject to change without notice!

Bill ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-27          94691

A resister on a distributer line to the coil is a must. The starter will handle it fine and you can go to the single wire self exciting alternator mentioned in a prior post. Ground needs to be reversed to negative and of coarse lights will need to be changed. Gauges will also need modifcation if used. ....

View my Photos
longbiao
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-03          172770

Chongqing Longbiao Machinery Manufacturing Co,Ltd

http://www.cqlongbiao.com.cn

Email :cqlb2008@yahoo.cn

Products : Magneto , Generator , Magneto Core , Generator Core , sensor , Shock absorber , rectifier

Mobile :86-15123892349 ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login