Go Bottom Go Bottom

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-08          141934

I have been looking for a small JD or IH to restore. I grew up with a JD but my Father-in-law was a IH dealer for many years before he was bought out with the Case/IH merger. My wife has given her blessing to red so I have sort of narrowed my selection to IH.

I saw a Super C yesterday which may go up for sale later this summer. It had a wide front end and looked in pretty good shape metal wise except for the faded paint. The owners wife said he still used it(he was out of town), so I assume it runs pretty good.

Anyway wondered if Frank H. or anyone else had an idea on the value range for the the old Super Cs. I believe they were made from 51 to 54.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-08          141936

The value of the super "C" as it sits for restoration purposes hinges on a ton of factors, the wide front is a plus, does it have a FACTORY "Fast Hitch", FACTORY fenders, etc. The sheet metal is important too. I've restored quite a few Farmalls 656, sraight Ms and H's, Super M's amd H's, a regular C, and a Cub. I've since sold all but the two straight H's and the Cub. I can't recall what I got for C, but it was probably less than half what I had spent on it for a full restoration. I enjoyed every minute of it and the friends you make along the way are great. Tractor restoration is NOT a check book friendly hobby. If you watch the collector magazines or many websites dealing with old tractors you likely can buy one already done for lots less than doing it yourself. I never did get to be the purist that some collectors can be, but the real die hards can spot an aftermarket fender or hood from 50 ft. away and won't even look at your tractor. Far as giving you a value, without seeing it there just isn't a fair way to value it. Enjoy what ever you do. Frank. ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2007-05-09          141948

Frank,
Thanks for the feedback. Can you give me the name of some of the collector magazines out there? I am aware of Belt Pulley but I am sure there are others.

By the way, did you find out what was causing the pain in your ankle? I heard over the weekend that some DR here in Boise has pioneered a study that will make ankle replacements a common thing in the future. Good Luck with your ankle.
Dave ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-09          141949

Dave: I've let the magazines expire, but one was called the "Farm Collector", and I think the more Farmall specific one was called "Red Power", there are also lots of websites with free picture ad's. I still look at antiquetractors.com, and others that likely other members here can fill you in on.
A bit more about restoration. Thwere is an almost endless supply of remanufactured parts now availkable for old tractors, and enough companies have gotten into it to keep the prices on a more competive level lately. There is also a shrinking supply of what is known as "NOS" parts available. "NOS" stands for Mew Old Stock, in other words guenine IH parts like your father inlaw may have had left over if he were an old time IH dealer. BUT, the folks with the "NOS" know what they have, so hang on to your wallet. Dave, yes I was diagnosed with "Avascular Necrosis" at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota on April 19th. I am to go back to mayo on May 29th. to meet with surgeons to decide on a treatment. In the mean time I am restricted to the house, and cannot put any weight on the ankle. This explains why I've become a nusance poster on TP, kind of for lack of something to do. I sure would appreciate any information you could get me on the Doctor you know who is developing an ankle joint. Perhaps if one of the moderstors reads this post they can get our E-mail addresses to each of us. thanks. Frank. ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-09          141953

I have a Super C in need of restoration. It has good sheet metal and fenders, etc. but needs tires. Mine has a homemade category II 3 point hitch on it but have the standard horseshoe shaped drawbar also. It could use an engine rebuild.

To give you an idea of value, I've been offered $1,000.00 for it. I've seen them advertized locally up to about $2,500.00 in semi-restored condition. One that is totally immaculate is about $3,500.00. ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-09          141958

Yoper; In order to make a restoration absolute you need to replace every fastener with the genuine article from "NOS", or Case/IH dealers do have a pretty good supply of the genuine article fastener clips, hollow head hood bolts for the 656/706 series, and never replace an original plated frame bolt with a hardware store bolt. As of about 5 years ago emblems and decals back thru the 460/560 era were readily availble at Case/IH. Those seeming small things can make or break a complete restoration. New tires are also a must, regardless how good the old ones may be, but there is a ready market for good used tires of that era so they aren't junk. Over the past 15 years or so till I quit the restoration business about five years ago I cleaned out any old time IH dealer in Eastern and Central Iowa who would sell me their obsolete "NOS" parts inventory. When I had my first auction in August of 05 I probably had 20 sets of original fenders, atleast 25 original hood and radiator shells for "C's" thru "M's" plus hayrack after hayrack of new and used parts. I did'nt sell all the parts tho I still have a building full of the harder to find ones, but as of right now they are not for sale. I guess my main message here is that you, the person new to tractor restoration have to decide just how genuine and compete a restoration you want to end up with, your wallet will be your guide. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2007-05-12          142027

Frank,

The name of the ankle DR is:
Michael J Coughlin, MD
901 N Curtis Rd
Suite 503
Boise, ID 83706
208-377-1000

If I can do anything else for you, let me know. My e-mail address is listed on my profile.
Good Luck,
Dave ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-12          142030

Dave; Thank you for the information, I did send you an E-mail to your address on your profile, but I must have did something wrong, I'll try again later today. Frank. ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
BoonvilleKid

2011-02-14          176869

Frank,

I recently saw a Super "C" that had the distributor coming off the drive at a 90-degree angle - the distributor cap was setting up vertically. It was still in line with the drive shaft coming from the governor. As you viewed it, the distributor was located between two of the sparkplugs and nearly at that height. The coil was located at the end of the casing for the drive shaft from the governor. As you viewed it, it was located to the left of the distributor, in a vertical manner, but it was located lower that the distributor in-line with the drive shaft coming from the governor. I have seen a lot of Super "C"'s. I mean a lot of them. But, I have never seen one arranged in this manner. I live in the MidWest USA, so perhaps this was a regional thing. The tractor was a late '54 model. Have you ever seen a Super "C" built like this? ....

Value of a Super C

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-02-14          176873

BVKid;

Yes, I have a "48" H with the vertical shaft distributor, I think they were Delco-Remy. I'm quite a ways from the farm right now so I can't go out to check the brand for sure. Other than a few magneto Framalls I had all the rest were the IH horizontal distributor. The "48" H was my fathers tractor, he didn't buy it new, probably bought it in about 50 or 51, so I don't know the complete histor, but It's had the Delco-remy for as long as I remember.
There may have been some "C's" with it, I don't know, mine didn't have it, it was a conventional IH distributor.
Last I knew points, condensers, etc. were still available at CaseIH. They did have a distinct advantage when it came to replacing the points. Both points are on one easialy installed base that is much easier to install then the IH points. Adjusting them is fifty times simpler than the IH brand, a screwdriver in one hand the feeler guage in the other hand, a ten second operation.
Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login