Go Bottom Go Bottom

no power steering

View my Photos
quincy48442
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-30          140871

i have an international 340, after about 20 minutes of running it the power steering goes out as well as the 3point hitch does not go up or down. if i let it sit for a few minutes the steering will return but go out again shortly after. if i open the drain plug behind the seat when the tractor is off it sucks air in. not sure if this is normal. any help would be great.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

no power steering

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-30          140879

Sounds like the vent-to-atmosphere is clogged and what may be happening is the reservoir is under a vacuum starving the pump of fluid--which, if it is the case, will destroy the pump in no time if it keeps up.

If you remove the cap and run it longer than 20 minutes what happens? If it's a vacuum problem like I suspect, it should work properly with the cap off. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-31          140890

I'm a thinkin low fluid. It's all pumped into the sysyem then drains back. The PS is usually the first to feel it. Also check your filters.

The little 504 my boy has does the same thing.

Check your filters, Add 5gal of fluid.

Harvey ....

no power steering

View my Photos
Art White

2007-03-31          140891

There is a fine steel screen on your filter, and there is a valve on it that would give you about twenty minutes of operating time before it would close if clogged.

IH has always filtered the oil before going to the pumps and this is a tell tale sign of a clogged filter! ....

no power steering

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-03-31          140892

Harvey, does your son's machine suck air in also when the cap is removed? ....

no power steering

View my Photos
quincy48442

2007-03-31          140897

hi this is my first tractor and i just got it so i don't know that much about them. i added 7 gals of fluid at the transmission, and the guy i got it from said that he just changed the filter. in your response to my first question you said to check my filters. is there more than one filter that i need to be looking at? the only one that was changed was the one on the right side of tractor when sitting on it a canister about 18 inches long. there appears to be another canister in front of the shifter lever below the steering wheel.
thanks

no power steering

View my Photos
harvey

2007-04-01          140904

EW Not sure but do not think so. The only time I could envision some air moving would be with 3ph operation.

It's the tractor I got out of a hedgerow a couple of years ago. The paper filters were completely destroyed. It had issues all but the rusted and broken off draft valve work fine now. Still have some tinker stuff to fix.

The screen Art mentioned is in the housing on the right side where you changed the filters, if I remember right. I can not remember how much oil goes back in, but it seems like 15 gallons, DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT! ....

no power steering

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-04-01          140910

Harvey there should not be any air per se at the reservoir--neither vacuum NOR pressure. If there is, then there is a venting problem. If the system can't breathe something is going to implode or explode, suck air and oil, or blow both. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
quincy48442

2007-04-01          140912

hey harvey i won't quote you on the 15 gals of fluid, there is no dipstick on this tractor for the fluid. how do i know if it is full or not? and is it possible to overfill the system? ....

no power steering

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-04-01          140914

Have you looked for a pipe plug or removable cap a.k.a "level indicator" or "sight hole"? It may be like a vehicle axle differential filler plug---you can only put so much in before it spills out. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-04-01          140915

Have you looked for a pipe plug or removable cap a.k.a "level indicator" or "sight hole"? It may be like a vehicle axle differential filler plug---you can only put so much in before it spills out. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
harvey

2007-04-01          140922

Art is gonna have to chime in on this answer. I do not think I have ever found one. I've looked on my old "M" also and never recall finding one. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
quincy48442

2007-04-02          140944

ok,i took the fill plugs off and started the tractor, fluid started pouring out of the fill hole behind the seat(won't be doing that again any time soon). i also opened the top to the filter to see if it was clogged to find that there is no filter in there. i also found and cleaned vent to atmosphere (was full of mud). i replaced the cap to the filter put fluid back in and started it. steering and 3point worked for a little bit then stopped. now when the bucket goes up and down it's all herky jerky. i have 2 questions

1. could it be that since there is no filter could there be a clog somewhere that is causing this and if so what is the best way to unclog.

2. my fluid is milky could this be the cause of my problems.
(before i checked the filter bucket worked fine, just steering and 3point not working so i figured milky fluid not the problem.) ....

no power steering

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-02          140950

Milky fluid! Problem, to much water in your oil, you may have it sitting in the bottom and you should get it changed.

Harvey, your high limit plug if you have the utility should be on the left hand side about where your foot rest is. Probably in the way if my memory serves me right so look carefully. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-04-02          140955

My experience is that the milky oil quickly kills the pump (not enough lubrication) which leads to the jerkiness. You might luck out by draining and purging ALL the fluid from the system---valves, cylinders, lines reservoir/trans/axle. My experience is it's too late. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-02          140962

WE've seen many come thru this but we've also seen the failure of the pump before the problem was noticed. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
quincy48442

2007-04-03          140987

since i have about 15 gals of milky fluid i put it in a big pot and heated it. i could see the water coming out of the fluid in the form of steam and when it cools it turns back to translucent and looks like it was when new. anybody ever done this?? let me know if you think this is a bad idea to put back in my tractor. ....

no power steering

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-04-03          140990

The words "disaster waiting to happen" come to mind---flash fire, toxic fumes, degradation of the oil-- no biggie. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login