Go Bottom Go Bottom

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Mark77
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-03          118884

Wheels locked up traveling down road in High 4th gear. After messing with shifter I got the tractor to move in 1ST Gear only. It works in both high and low range, but when I try to move it into another gear it either locks up or stays in 1st no matter where the shifter is located ????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-04          118893

Mark, very sorry to hear about your problem. Sounds to me like the shifter fork may have bent or broken off inside the transmission and some loose pieces may be jamming up the gears. See if you can remove the top of the transmisson where the shifters are mounted for a looksee. This should give you an idea of what kind of damage you are facing. I would not try to operate the tractor any longer until you have verified what exactly has happened inside the transisson as you are likely to cause more damage.

Good luck on the fix and let us know what you come up with.

The 464 is a real fine work horse tractor and worth saving if at all possible. The guys who bale our hay have a 484, 464, and a 784 that must have at least 8,000 hours on them or more but they keep on running strong. ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-04          118903

sounds right to me. Remove the shift tower and you will see 3 sliders for the forks. Make sure you are on level ground and brakes set. Push in clutch and remove any torque pressure, on trans, and move the out of line slider so all the slots line up. If the problem persists you will have to weld a better nub on the end of the shifter.

This is not complicated and very straight forward. ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Art White

2005-11-06          119022

When it happens, you can fix it right or fix it again. Look at the rails for flares or weakness. Look at the shifters ball at the end to see how it fits. ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Mark 77

2005-11-11          119259

After conferring with the local dealer, they think the synchronizer between 3rd and 4th may have gone out. With out seeing they are estimating 1500.00 to 3000.00. ????? ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
harvey

2005-11-12          119261

I did not know they had synronizers in those trans. The part about your post that was troublesome is going down the road in 4 and it locked up.

Moving the shifter to any position and it stays in first or locks is indicative of the shifter being out of the rails and trans is in one gear and the tractor will lock up if you by chance can get it in another gear. ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Mark77

2005-11-14          119344

Removed the top cover of the speed transmission (3 hrs) Do not see anything obvious. Rail and forks look ok. Center one is free on shaft, no pin it it? ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Mark 77

2005-11-14          119346

I do not see any wear on the cover plate rails. I do not see any balls? ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
mark 77

2005-11-14          119347

What slots need to line up? One slider(center) does not have a roll pin in it? Is it suppose to? ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
harvey

2005-11-15          119348

Many times it is just easier to pull the shifter out. But I'm not there. The ball is on the end of the shifter lever.

The neutral slide/slot would be in alignment across the 3 sliders. ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
parts-man

2005-11-15          119400

There has been some confusion with the information given about the shift linkage on a 464, the 464 shift linkage is external on the left side of the transmision below the tinwork. That shifter with the roll pin gone sounds like the culprit, but first check the linkages on the outside and make sure all are in the neutral (center) position. ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-16          119406

Parts, WELCOME! Great to see you here and posting! ....

464 Transmission

View my Photos
Art White

2005-11-16          119412

Mark, your problem is with the first gear shifting rail. It should not have allowed it to go into first gear at the same time that you were in fourth. You currently have it in first gear with the shifter not having control of it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login