Go Bottom Go Bottom

Aquablation for BPH Urinary Retention Review

View my Photos
Cheymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2022-08-05          201254

Update to my previous missguided post on how to minimize Nocturia.

Well it was urinary retention and Balanitis that had me with a Foley catheter for the month of June.

Thank god my doctor pulled the in dwelling out and suggested I try self catheterization. Well I did that for a couple days and and really botched it up on the third try with lots of bleeding. So I started keeping a urinary log and stopped self catheterizing. Also the insurance was a PIA and it took over a month to get my unused supply of 100 Bard catheters.

Got a Urodynamics test and it suggested RASP or Aquablation. Had the Aquablation on Wednesday, home the next day. Quite of bit of blood in the Urine, do not pee as well as I did before the surgery. Say it takes weeks for the blood to clear and for you to reach the full benefit.

So I am limited to walks no heavy lifting for at least a month maybe 2.

Nice seeing my pretty wife carry the heavier packages from the store she is sweetheart.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Cheymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2022-08-08          201256

In all the Aquablation information I found very little about what to expect from the procedure. The absensce of some of it is probably by design not to scare you off. And that may be a fair thing to do.

So what the surgeon never tells you is that while the surgery is precise and robotically controlled and wil protect your manhood features, since it is no heat, there is alot of bleeding. After the operation a speical catheter was installed that pumped saline water into my bladder and also drained to a 4000ml urinary bag. I was awake all night hour by hour watching for when the 2 gallon bag would be finished to notify the nurse for a new bag. I went thru 21 2 gallon saline bags before they removed the catheter 24 hours after the operation. All of the drainage was a bloody mess, but apparently looks worse than it is.

But no one mentions this in the pre surgery discussion. Then trying to pee afther the catheter is out is a challenge. You need to walk around, do squats, toe lifts, etc to try to get the juices flowing. They also do not tell you that you will be leaking blood thru the penis between attempts at urinating. You will be passing junks and bits of prostate tissue in the urine as it cleanses itself via urination. You need to get your bladder retention down to 300ml or less to be discharged, my first read was 700ml, so it took some work to get it down and get released without a foley catheter or another night in the hospital.

You are instructed to drink tons of water to aid this process, and also to add salt to the diet to match the high water intake. I have been having Ramin Broth and pretzels to help the salt level.

So I was using gauze pads to absorb the intermittent blood leakage after arriving home, by day three the leakagea had a just about stopped and the blood in urine had gone done from scary levels, but had a little spotting today and more blood in urine.

Sorry about all the gory details, but somone has to lay it out so you know what it is really going to be like rather than all the marketing hype befor the procedure.

Now what is truly amzing is that I really have no pain from the procedure at all, zero.

Only on day 5 after operation, so time will tell.

View my Photos
greyhorse

2022-09-10          201302

Curious to see how you are doing now as I may be facing the same situation as you. I have not found many real world experiences as you have begun to describe.

View my Photos
Cheymax

2022-09-12          201306

Well it is now 5 and half weeks since the operation.

Back riding my bike, yippee !

Flow is much better than before procedure.

I had UTI before procedure and was just finished antibotic day of surgery, at 4 week check up I had UTI again and back on new Antibotic. Just had another urinalysis last Thursday shows no batcteria in culture, but 7 abnormal readings out of 17. So waiting to hear back what that means.

Hopefully this is just part of the process, I go back for another checkup in two weeks.

So for any fellow BPH sufferers this Aquablation is a good option to consider. ....

View my Photos
Paladin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2022-09-19          201316

I take two Flomax pills every evening and for me it seems to control the situation, reducing the need to pee to maybe two or three times during the night. I have been on Flomax for years and it would seem that my situation is stable. While I don not have a need for a procedure like Aquablation at present, I have been following your posts and I am glad to know that there is a next step medically if I ever need it.

Over the last four months I have had both knees replaced, the second knee just three weeks ago. They will not do two at once for a 75 year old. Considering the ages of those of us who like to fix up old tractors (I own several 9N, 2N and 8N Fords) we ought to have a knee and hip replacement thread on this website, too. ....

View my Photos
Cheymax

2022-09-22          201331

I take two Flomax every day after dinner like you as well.

One thing about BPH that is not always so clear to the patient is that Urinary retention ultimately leads to stretching of the bladder walls and loss of contractibility, which generally cannot be reversed. Male bladders hold 500 to 700 ml.

My brothers urologist never does a ultrasound to see how much he is retaining even though he has been on Finasteride for years and has a hard time peeing, and lots of dribbling. I told him to run not walk to get a bladder scan right away. My urologists have always done a scan as a part of every single visit.

I am at week 7 since the Aquablation procedure going back for 8 week check up next week. My last urinalysis showed that I had 8 abnormal readings out 17 including some oxalite crystals for the first time. Have to double void, with high water consumption getting up twice at night also, with flow better than before surgery.

On the bright side I have been riding my bike every day ....

View my Photos
Cheymax

2022-10-10          201356

Had my 8 week checkup after Aquablation surgery. Urine retention down big time to only 70ml, urine flo so good I have to be careful not to overshoot the target :-) I was on Finasteride and double Flomax. We cut the Finasteride out, and cut the Flomax in half. Next checkup in 6 months, need to wait till then for PSA. Objective is to eliminate Flomax in 6 months and be medication free. Urinalysis was good no issues.

View my Photos
Cheymax

2023-02-08          201476

It has been Six Months since the surgery, and I can report that I am still as testy and dour as before, but I can pass urine no problem, no longer any issue at all.

i am on my second month on a modified Keto diet, modifed in the sense that I still have a half portion of steel cut oats with ground flax and chia seeds in the morning to keep me regular. I tried Keto straight and it was a constipation nightmare. I fast until 11AM each day also.

I find that this diet has helped with Nocturia, I usually need to go once per night between 4 and 6 am.

Anyway for a grumpy old guy I am has happy as an old grouch can be !

View my Photos
gravely
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2023-05-01          201590

Any update? ....

View my Photos
Cheymax

2023-05-10          201605

Gravely, had another visit and some good news so not good. First the good; they gave me a urine flow test where you pee into a funnel that has a sensor like an EKG that reads the flow rate and volume. I am urinating at twice the normal speed and volume, so they took off all medication in this case Tamulosin Flomax. On the negative, my retention level was too high over 400ml. I had done a bike ride 2 days before the PSA test and it came back high at 7.5, the usrgery I had should result in a lowering from the previous PSA of 5.2 not an increase. Dr had me get Ultrasound Retroperitoneal which came back normal so no damage to Kidneys. Need to go back end of next month another PSA with no bike riding 5 days prior.
Hoping for the best . ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login