Go Bottom Go Bottom

Replacing Battery Charger Voltage and Amperage Meaning

View my Photos
bogman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-12-03          185591

My Black & Decker battery charger has stopped working. It is for my 18v batteries that power my drill motor. It has a black box that plugs in an outlet with a wire that goes to a black plastic adapter that slides onto the top of the batteries while charging.

Normally a little red led light comes on to let you know its charging. This light doesn't come on anymore, and the batteries don't charge up.

My question is this; the numbers on the part that plugs into the outlet are:
Input:120Vac@60Hz
Output:21.75Vdc---210mA

I have an old AC adapter with these numbers;
Input:120Vac@60Hz
Output:9Vdc---210mA

Can I cut the wires on these two AC adapters and splice in the working adapter to the the part that goes on the battery and it work?

I know there's lower output voltage but I don't care if it takes longer to charge the batteries.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-12-04          185593

No, not only will it not charge your battery, it will discharge it. If the voltage were right and the current lower, that would charge it and take longer, there is no fix for low voltage in a battery charger. ....

View my Photos
bogman

2012-12-04          185595

Okay, that's what I needed to know. So I need to find a AC adapter whose output is 21.75Vdc regardless if it's---210mA or not, is that what you mean?

Thanks.........bogman ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-12-04          185596

I've had that problem with a few chargers over the years, and never once was the problem attributed to the power adapter. If you know how to use a multimeter, it's easy enough to tell if the problem is the adapter or the base. In almost every case, my problems turned out to be in the base. Usually it's related to the tabs that make the actual connection to the tool

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-12-04          185597

OK, somewhat on the same subject line. I have several battery power tools from John Deere along with a charger and two batteries that came with each tool. The batteries are 18 volt and interchangeable between tools and chargers, in other words all the same, and all are about 5 - 8 years old.
Now, one of the batteries has refused to take a charge no matter which charger I try it on, all the other batteries still take and hold their charge just fine.
I'm wondering if this style and brand of battery is repairable. I called the JD dealership, the parts man didn't know for sure. A new battery is 109.00 plus tax.
Altho I could easily operate with one less battery being I have a grand total of eight batteries combined from all the tools, but since we now have all the neat plastic cases that most all power tools come in now with a place for everything to fit I would just like to see every tool kit be complete. In the not too distant future I'm going to need to start thinking about the disposal of my tools and would like to pass most of the smaller tools on to family members and would like everyhthing I pass on to be complete.

Thank you in advance.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-12-04          185598

You're actually quite lucky to get 8 years from a Ni-Cd. Don't waste any sleep over it. The others will eventually fail, usually by order of age. One sugestion though, check eBay et cetera for aftermarket batteries. Those tools are actually made by Hitachi, and the 18v battery is an EB1820. I'm seeing them for $40 and up, many with free shipping.

That said, I took a different tack. Given the age of my NiCd tools - and the number of times I'd gone through batteries - I decided to go lithium. All my NiCd stuff eventually sold over the summer at yard sales, and now I have a brand new complement of Lithium-powered cordless tools.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
bogman

2012-12-04          185601

First thing I did was check it's output with a voltmeter but that was good advice nonetheless.

I came across this;

http://www.ehow.com/how_6225112_refurbish-18v-dewalt-battery.html

while searching. And also another site showed how to buy an 18v powerpack at harbor freight for 10 bucks and put the cells out of that one into your base. ....

Picture Link
Shop Tools Replacing Battery Charger Voltage and Amperage Meaning

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-12-08          185640

Further to Bogman's post, the local Interstate facility offers a rebuild service for most 18v batteries at about half the cost of a new one. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-12-09          185645

Thanks Gregg, I'll be on the lookout for the EB 1820 batteries.

Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login