Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dodge territory

View my Photos
lamarbur
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-22          86574

How about a sign on the back that reads
This Cummins powered dodge is not leaking oil, it is simply marking it's territory
Think this will go over OK?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dodge territory

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-22          86575

Oh no you don't. My Fords marked their territory first. No copycats allowed. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-22          86577

My old Shovel-Head Harley was doing it before Ford even knew what a Diesel was. LOL ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-05-22          86581

Kwschmm
I was told you weren't marking areas that rather, the tranny blew, another oil spot was the ring and pinion flying out the rear case,then this, then that, ahh Ford.. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-22          86593

lamarbur, you're not far off! ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
moparmudder

2006-05-05          128939

Fix Or Repair Daily Shit
Found On Road Dead
many anti ford things to describe their crap ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-05          128946

Well my Cummins has not leaked a drop in the first 100,000 miles, can not speak to the second. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-06          128947

Dodge has done with an Inline 6 what Chevy or Ford have NOT been able to do with a V-8, that is More Torque and more Horsepower at less RPM.
If you have an Oil leak it could be from not tightening the oil drain plug, bad or dry gasket, oil filter not sealed or spilleage finding its way to the bottom.
Could be oil from a baby dinosaur looking for his mom. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
Chief

2006-05-06          128957

My Cummins does not leak a drop either but is sure does like to leave its mark of an oily messy residue from the crankcase breather bottle. Now if I could just get about 4 of those new $65 lift pump kits! ;O) ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-08          129076

"Dodge has done with an Inline 6..."

I think Cummins had more to do with it than D-C did.

The engine is superb, no question, but it was also a LOT noisier and put far more vibration into the vehicle than did Ford or GM.

It's a shame the rest of the truck wasn't up to the same level of quality as the motor was.

Best of luck. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-08          129078

"The engine is superb, no question, but it was also a LOT noisier and put far more vibration into the vehicle than did Ford or GM."

Not true for the last 3 years. It is all computer controlled now and the noise level is almost the same as the 5.7L Hemi, very quiet.

"It's a shame the rest of the truck wasn't up to the same level of quality as the motor was."

Care to be more specific about what you are referring to?
DOge has a very High Quality truck and if you want to compare itme for item, you will be Amazed how Dodge will out shine the competitors. I am listening for some examples and then do tell me who does it better and why? ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-08          129093

Right off the bat, the disclaimer, I have not been in, or driven a diesel-powered Dodge newer than a 2004, so I will not pass judgement, from a personal perspective, on anything newer than that.

Having said that, I can hear a Dodge sitting at the lights next to me (with the windows rolled up) over the sound of my own truck, I cannot hear a gas truck unless it has aftermarket exhaust, etc., but then, I can't tell the vintage of the truck from that either.

The one I did both ride in, and drive, had a considerably noisier interior than mine, in fact a lot of the noise seeemed to be from things like wind (door & window seals?) and the handling was just, well, more 'truck-like' than I am used to, I mentioned it to the owner, who later that day asked for a ride in mine, we di, and even he agreed, the Ford was a nicer ride and quieter.

I have spoken to many Dodge owners, including a friend of mine who bought one out of guilt after doing a 6 figure repair job on a Dodge dealership after a fire they had in the service dept., he finally got tired of the little problems, etc., and traded it for another GM with over a year left on the lease.

I hear all the same complaints from Dodge owners, including one who works for me, little things, knobs break, everything is loose and vibrates after a few years, the fit & finsih is not there, etc....

Even the general public seems to agree, Ford still sells more F-series trucks, and by a good margin, than Dodge and GM does combined.

The best proof I can come up with is resale value, according to the best yardstick out there, what someone is willing to pay, Dodge is still 3rd in a 3 horse race.

Now, like I said, I have NOT been in a new Dodge, undoubtedly Daimler will have been cracking the whip, the jury is still out on how loud the 'crack' has been, sales volumes don't seem to bear it out yet. Modest increase, but nothing to write home about, yet.....

Best of luck. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-08          129094

You know what Murf, I hear the same stuff day after day after day about Ford and Chevy.
Dodge does NOT or has NOT made a truck that gives you the BEST Ride, they build a Truck to WORK and I have hauled loades from Vermont to Little Rock Ark and back many many times and with a LOAD, the Dodge rides better than the sagging Chevy or the moaning Ford.
Dodge Diesels have been quiet since 2004, but the INLINE design was a factor with the noise, you were able to hear both sides of the cyclinder with no metal in between as in the V-8.
Here are some psecs from the 2000 Cummins, Ford and Chevy
5.9L I-6 245 HP at 2700 rpm 505 lb ft at 1600 rpm
7.3L V-8 235 HP at 2600 rpm 500 lb ft at 1800 rpm
6.5L V-8 195 HP at 1800 rpm 430 lb ft at 1800 rpm

Now I have heard nothing but Problems with Ford's 6.0L diesel and rumor has it, it may be discontinued.
Now for the truck, as of 2004 Dodge has a Hydro-formed BOX rail frame and 7 cross members, the torque went up to 610 and the rpms are the same. The ONLY complaint I am aware of is trying to change wheels on the front, usually because of such a CLOSE TOLERANCE, they are pried off with damage to the bearings. Note I said CLOSE TOLERANCE, that means NO SLOP.
Sure a lot of people buy for comfort and power this and power that, but around here is Farm Country, Snow, Mountains, MUD, ruts, etc and people buy 2500 and 3500s to haul Cattle, Horses, Hay and to do Farm work.
Another note, you might want to check out is, YOU do NOT void your warranty by adding a PLOW. hmmm now which manufacturer does? SO who is making the work truck and who is making a whimpy truck? You want to work a truck and NOT hurt it, buy a Dodge, if you are interested in Dump Runs and soft loads, buy a Ford or a Chevy. You want a cardboard hauler go Toyota.
I see the trucks when they come in. Fords love to rust around the wheel wells and lower cab corners, Dodge has bottom of the doors and Chevy, well just about anywhere.
Next time you go by a Used Truck lot, stop and look at the mileage and then look at the truck. I would love to walk you around a Dodge truck and show you the things that most buyers know nothing about. The stuff that makes the Truck a TRUCK.
Every manufacturer has problems, Dodge has far less and we have more and more Chevy and Ford owners coming to us right now because of our MDS Hemi and the ALL New HIGH Output Turbo Diesel.
Dodge maybe 3rd, but the gap is closing and if you look at the last batch of recalls it has been Chevy and Ford and if you look at the Companies losing money, it ain't Dodge. I guess our competition finally found out what there products were worth. You want a NICE Ride buy a 300C you want to WORK buy a Dodge. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-08          129095

Murf

Take a good close look at the F-150 sales for this year. Ford is having problems as well as Chevy. They have been trying to onlyu live off of their PAST reputations and not much else. Look at Dodge and its figures and you will see Dodge closing the gaps Big Time and we are in the Black and NOT in the RED. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-08          129102

WW, when you say "we are closing the gap" you imply you work for Dodge or Chrysler. What do you do? ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129126

KW

"WW, when you say "we are closing the gap" you imply you work for Dodge or Chrysler. What do you do?"

I don't see where I wrote "we are closing the gap"
I sell Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep New and used anything.
When I was on Active Duty Marines, I worked in the Bomb Dump, we had two Dodge Power Wagons, a 67 and a 68, we had 2 Fords and 2 Internationals. 16 Young Marines had the Fords and Internationals ALWAYS in Motor "T" getting fixed or repaired of some sort, the Dodges NEVER failed and we couldn't kill them. I have been a Dodge man ever since. I have an 89 with well over 300,000 miles on it and it is still running and still looking good. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-09          129133

Sorry I misquoted you WW, you said *Dodge* was closing the gap and we are in the black. Those comments still imply you are affiliated with Dodge, which you are. Knowing where you're coming from helps put your comments in context. Thanks for the followup.

Myself, if I had to buy a big truck it would probably be a Cummins Dodge since I've had terrible luck with GM and Ford. But I'm looking for a good small truck, preferably with a diesel, and nobody makes such an animal. And the "small" trucks are becoming huge which hurts mileage. Was going to buy a Toyota Tacoma but they've grown too large for my needs in the last few years and mileage has been hurt so I may hold off on that purchase. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-09          129134

Cardboard Hauler?

I now have over 40k on my Toyota "cardboard hauler".

By the time my brother-in-law had that much mileage on his Dodge "real work truck" he was on his third transmission.

I still have the factory original. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129135

DR

Everyone has transmission problems if having an allowable percentage is a problem. I had a GMC, years ago and I bet I had at least 5 trannies in it. I had a Ford Econo 100 and put in three C-4s and was trying to convert a C-6 to fit when the van blew up. There are stories like your brother-in-law for every manufacturer. One story does NOT give the whol picture. The problem with the Dodge trannies was with the 360 Gas in 1997. Any problem after that is poor workmanship at the dealer or isolated from the manufacturer.
Cardboard hauler? Yup! that is what I said. What is meant by that is very simply, put a 5th wheel in a Toyota or put in a Goose neck. Not likely right? not really meant to be the Super Work truck. that is whta is meant by cardboard hauler, meant for light to medium truck work and not for prolong periods of time. Prolong periods of time means day in and day out, not a long trip to opposite coast.
Chevy, Ford and Dodge are the leaders in Work trucks and if you want the Most rugged and the geniune 4wd then look at the Power Wagon. Dodge will soon be releasing a 4500 and a 5500 series. C+C will be back in Aug. I know dozens who haul Cattle trailers and run from farm to auction site, day after day after day.
KW
Diesel is NOT going to give you any fuel savings. Cost of Diesel fuel is rising and because of the so many states hitting the manfacturers with Emission restrictions, economy has plummeted. Cumins use to deliver about 24 to 25 mpg no load, 3500 single wheel reg cab, Now it delivers 18 mpg, same situations. Ford and Chevy are having the same problems. So if you are chosing Diesel strictly to save on fuel costs, you will not, not unless you are driving under loads and for over 30,000 per year.
If you want small, then you are better with a 6 cylinder 2WD and DSA (anti slip differential). Until the industry makes some changes to peak the Diesels to deliver better mpg and that won't happen if you want to run at higher RPMs for 70 mph interstate criuises. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-09          129136

Sorry for the delay in answering, I had to get my rubber boots on and they were over at the farm.

Did I just read correctly?

"I have hauled loades from Vermont to Little Rock Ark and back many many times and with a LOAD, the Dodge rides better than the sagging Chevy or the moaning Ford."

"I have an 89 with well over 300,000 miles on it and it is still running and still looking good."

Is this the same 1/2 ton gasser you mentioned in the now famous "trailer" thread? The one that needs a WDH with 500 # of tongue weight?

Is this the same guy who calls the competition "cardboard hauler" and then goes on to say "Take a good close look at the F-150 sales for this year."

Let's stay on topic and out of the sales brochures, we were talking about diesel powered heavy duty pickups.

There are many, many members here who have large trucks, large trailers and hual over good distances and over all sorts of terrain. Let's stay to facts and experience.

I know a little about trailering too, in fact my fleet runs all across North America, and has for the past nearly 20 years.

As for silly statements like "Now I have heard nothing but Problems with Ford's 6.0L diesel and rumor has it, it may be discontinued." Rumours?? What about facts, of course it will be discontinued! Why would you continue to buy a Navistar when your own factories in Europe build a far superior engine??

Speaking of strange, it's strange that you don't mention the fact that Dodge's parent company builds a fantastic small diesel, but they don't put it in their own trucks, or that when they chose to bring the Mercedes cargo van, the replacement to the Dodge full-size, they DIDN'T give to D-C dealers to sell, it was only sold through Freightliner stores until they had all the bugs worked out.

Slop in front bearings? Come on now, who do you think is really gonna buy that one?

Who voids a warranty for putting a plow on a PROPERLY equipped truck? Ford hasn't to any of mine, not GM or Mitsubishi for any of my sub-contractors. In fact when I looked at putting a plow on my Hino the dealer said they would not only warranty it, but would give me a plow-equipped loaner if it ever broke down during a storm.

Finally, if I want a nice ride, I won't head for a 300C, my CLK430 rides nicer, so does my wife's Range Rover, and my Bimmer.

Best of luck.

Dodge territory

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-05-09          129137

Everything else being equal a diesel should give better mileage because diesel engines are thermodynamically more efficient than gas. Your point about rising disel fuel costs is well taken but it's not just about mileage for me. I like the longevity and reliability of diesels and the option of running biodiesel fuels in it. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-09          129139

"Cardboard hauler? Yup! that is what I said. What is meant by that is very simply, put a 5th wheel in a Toyota or put in a Goose neck. Not likely right?"

Well... no, wrong. I have had a 5th wheel hitch in my Tundra since it was new. I routinely pull a 5th wheel travel trailer and heavy loads from the ball hitch.

I have pulled tractors round trip between Reno and Portland. Every load I have pulled has been uphill and over mountain passes as high as 8500 feet.

Tundra's are factory equipped to tow 7000 pounds and can keep it's driveline intact within those parameters and do some work. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129140

Murf

You said before I did
"Even the general public seems to agree, Ford still sells more F-series trucks, and by a good margin"
When I brought up about the F-150 sales, I was giving reply to you OPEN statement.
Good for your wife's vehicles.. enjoy them

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129141

KW

Your logic for buying a diesel is good. That is more than enough reason to seek a diesel. MPG is not there any more, reslae for a diesel as compared to a gas, is much higher and for the most part Diesel will always be worth something, even with a 150,000 miles on it.
Once you take a low rpm engine and start running higher rpms out of it on the interstate, they are no longer equal.
You know what you want and your reasons are good.
Good luck ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129142

DR

I am referring to trucks with Towing Caps of 12,000 to 18,000 pounds. no Class IVs at all. You can use them for Class IVs but they are designed for Goose and 5th wheel.
I towed a lot more than I was speced to towed with my 1500. What one does and what the Manufacturer will supprt are TWO differnt things.
Toyota is just fine if you are going to compare 1/2 ton to 1/2 ton. The topic was really 3/4 ton and 1 ton to start with.
Murf
If you want to really blow the wad, get a Volvo 770 or a Freight Shaker.
If you want to just bust my chops enjoy. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-09          129144

"Toyota is just fine if you are going to compare 1/2 ton to 1/2 ton."

That's all I was looking for.

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129145

DR

Then what I was saying was not aimed at you. The subject was about Diesels to begin with and those are usually 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Murf had made a blanket statement and I had made a reference to it and then he brought up the other thread and will probably be posting pics of his wife's cars.
For every purpose and useage there is a vehicle designed for it.
DR
If you are happy and it is performing as you like, then there is no one in the world that can tell you different.
I was trying to address several concerns in each post. KW was looking for something small to use biodiesel in and I was trying to give General info to address everyone. My mistake and Murf? well, another story in itself.
Dennis
Note I was being civil and the digs came from up North with "Sorry for the delay in answering, I had to get my rubber boots on and they were over at the farm" and "Is this the same 1/2 ton gasser you mentioned in the now famous "trailer" thread? The one that needs a WDH with 500 # of tongue weight?" and "Is this the same guy who calls the competition "cardboard hauler" and then goes on to say "Take a good close look at the F-150 sales for this year." and "Let's stay on topic and out of the sales brochures, we were talking about diesel powered heavy duty pickups." and "As for silly statements like "Now I have heard nothing but Problems with Ford's 6.0L diesel and rumor has it, it may be discontinued." Rumours?? What about facts, of course it will be discontinued! Why would you continue to buy a Navistar when your own factories in Europe build a far superior engine??" So hey talk about staying on topic.
Yes! Murf I was referring to trade mags, customer experiences and write ups. the Ford 6.0L is a piece of crap and I just got done talking to another Ford owner who is looking at a Dodge, he has no hopes for the dual turbo that is coming out and wants out of his, his words "piece of crap 6.0L" his truck has 125,000 miles on it and that is where most diesels are just breaking in, he has a pile of repair stubs and is unhappy. But for Murf, I will keep looking and see if I can find one that agrees with him and his logic.
Murf you should spend less time on line and more time talking to your employees, maybe you could learn something.
Other than Murf Theory.

"

Dodge territory

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-09          129146

Wing, you sound like a ploitician here, you post long drawn out statement s that say nothing, just useless double talk hiding a lot of errors and wrong statements.

"Diesel is NOT going to give you any fuel savings." and "Your logic for buying a diesel is good. That is more than enough reason to seek a diesel. MPG is not there any more..." Are you trying to say that 2 similar-sized trucks, with similar HP, and both pulling identical heavy loads, but 1 gas and 1 diesel, will get the SAME MPG???

This is funny.

"When I brought up about the F-150 sales, I was giving reply to you OPEN statement." I never said anything about gas 1/2 tons, I was talking about heavy duty diesel trucks.

"Good for your wife's vehicles.. enjoy them." Didn't even read the words correctly did you, the only vehicle in my wife's name is the Rover.

"I towed a lot more than I was speced to towed with my 1500." and "The topic was really 3/4 ton and 1 ton to start with." in the same paragraph?

BTW, the problems with the 6.0 were solved, just like the early Dodges that you couldn't keep tranny's, brakes, front coils, or rear leaf springs in.

There's no busting chops here, no slanging, no personal attacks, "...will probably be posting pics of his wife's cars.", and "Murf you should spend less time on line and more time talking to your employees, maybe you could learn something. Other than Murf Theory.".

I do speak to my employees, and I take what they have to say very seriously, and often impliment ideas or solutions they have.

My time online should be of no concern to you, if my businesses are succesful enough that I have the time to be online what is that to you? I'm not sitting around bored stupid killing time waiting for a customer, and even if I was it still be none of your concern.

For the last time park the attitude and self-serving salesmans ramblings, not to mention the personal attacks.

Have a lovely day all......

Dodge territory

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-09          129149

If we are going to start ragging about who spends too much time on-line we will need some sort of standard to apply:

5-09-06, 11:15 AM PDT.......

Posters of The Week fron the TP Home page,

1 wingwiper (36)
2 Art White (23)
3 earthwrks (19)
4 kwschumm (17)
5 Murf (16)
6 DRankin (15)
7 SG8NUC (14)
8 horse_farmer (14)
9 Chief (14)
10 kthompson (13)

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129154

Murf

"For the last time park the attitude and self-serving salesmans ramblings, not to mention the personal attacks."
Excuse me, you started this whole thing and your insults are plenty.
Salesman ramblings? LOL, whatever. you are such a child. Grow up Murf. Get a life and just grow up. Find someone else to dish your crap out to. You don't impress me at all. ....

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129155

Dr
Thanks Dr

I try to answer each post individually. When someone addresses me, I answer them one on one.

Murf,
I am semi retired, I do sales cuz I like it and I chose to.

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129156

WIngwiper
394 posts in two years.
Murf
3718 posts.. MY GOD.
"This is funny"
well Murf, down here in the states, they have "Border State Emissions" and that has pushed the MPG of diesels down from 24 and 25 mpg to 18 mpg. Maybe you don't have such laws there. Ok Fine, here we do..
I was talking to KW, please read all of the posts and let's have the DECENCY to keep stuff in context. Are you able?
""When I brought up about the F-150 sales, I was giving reply to you OPEN statement." I never said anything about gas 1/2 tons, I was talking about heavy duty diesel trucks"
You said F SERIES, you did NOT include Diesel, you said F Series. Nice try.
"BTW, the problems with the 6.0 were solved, just like the early Dodges that you couldn't keep tranny's, brakes, front coils, or rear leaf springs in."
NO! the problems with the 6.0L have NOT been solved.
"early Dodges that you couldn't keep tranny's, brakes, front coils, or rear leaf springs in" How Early Murf? what year are you talking here? your reference sounds to me like someone who did NOT JOB-RATE their truck before buying it, busted the suspension and tried to blame Dodge. WoW! funny I have no idea what you are referring to here, you making it up or are you referring to ONE person you heard about?
JOB-Rate and you won't have these problems, Remember Murf,I am just a confused Salesman who quotes Dodge propaganda......
You are the one who started with insults, or does it come as such a second nature to you, you don't even know when you are insulting someone?
I was being Civil with you and you came in with a pile of digs in one single post, so if you don't like it, stop giving it.
"For the last time park the attitude and self-serving salesmans ramblings, not to mention the personal attacks."
what is this suppose to mean? do you think I am going to deliver a vehicle over this forum? come on Murf you really surprise me. self serving? how is that? explain please. ramblings? wow! are you going to tell me what I can and can not say? sorry dude, you live in the wrong country to try and dictate anything to me.

Dodge territory

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-09          129157

Question:

"Are you trying to say that 2 similar-sized trucks, with similar HP, and both pulling identical heavy loads, but 1 gas and 1 diesel, will get the SAME MPG???"

Answer:

"well Murf, down here in the states, they have "Border State Emissions" and that has pushed the MPG of diesels down from 24 and 25 mpg to 18 mpg. Maybe you don't have such laws there. Ok Fine, here we do.."

And, if re-elected, I promise .......

Mmmmm, yeah, like I said........

Dodge territory

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-05-09          129159

Question:

"Are you trying to say that 2 similar-sized trucks, with similar HP, and both pulling identical heavy loads, but 1 gas and 1 diesel, will get the SAME MPG???"

Answer: No! that is NOT what I said. I was mainly referingto what KW had posted, but FYI Two Identical Trucks, similar HP NO LOAD, would get about the same MPG. diesel would stay about the same even with a load, gas would drop. Point though, I will explain for those who seem to jump to conclusions and insert other words, is MOST people do NOT need the use of a Diesel all of the time and would be running under NO LOAD far more than with a load and therefore diesel would NOT justify the extra $5000 plus increase in MSRP. Now if you are hauling all of the time and driving many miles per year, than you pay to move the load. How is that Murf? understand it better now? Ifyou are hauling a boat just a few times per year stay with the 3.73 and DO NOT get the 4.10s, otherwise you will pay dearly for all of those EMPTY miles. How is that, am I cooking or what? feel free to jump in anytime Murf, I am sure you will. LOL ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login