Go Bottom Go Bottom

Performance Mods Bombing Feed Back

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-06          54399

Any of you guys with the Cummins engines done any performance modifications to the engines or drive trains? I was thinking about it down the road but would like to get some feed back from anyone who has done them, how they liked them, and any advice on installations.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
ruger454
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-31          56073

I have done upgrades on cummins and friends have on fords
and they are well worth the money. They make the truck much more enjoyable to drive, and the extra power for towing is amazing. Just be sure to tell the retailer how much weight you are towing before you buy. I would use TST products
the owner retired from Cummins. www.tstproducts.com ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-31          56085

I have not looked into mods on my truck. I have the limited slip rear end on the 3500. The rear end is a 4:05. I have plenty of power to the wheels only my milage is not where I would like.
To me I would like the extra over drive to provide the lower gearing at highway speeds. ....

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2003-05-31          56100

I put a Edge EZ on my 2001 2500 with auto. It makes the truck totally different. Great power and better fuel milage. I would recommend it to any Dodge Cummins owner.
It will go on in less than 5 minutes and off in the same.
Just plug and unplug. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-01          56149

David, where did you buy your EZ and if you don't mind my asking; how much did you pay for it? Are you running an EGT and Boost guage to monitor what is going on? Had any issues with the ECM throwing malfunction codes? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-01          56156

ruger454, how much difficulty involved to install or remove the TST mods.? I have heard good about TST but never actually got any first hand feed back about their products. ....

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-06-09          57152

It depends on the year and which of several different mods that you choose. Best to call TST or another dealer.My friends was a plug in program type super easy. Computer controlled are the easiest, mechanical pumps are more involved. ....

View my Photos
dcarp

2003-06-09          57242

I got the EZ at Houston Performance Diesel in Houston, Texas. Almost any performance shop or diesel shop should handle them. I paid $475 for it. I have a 2001 Ram 2500 4X2 with auto. It does not cause any codes to come up. My next step is to install EGT and trans temp guages. Most other Dodge owners with EZ and guages have said that the EGT's went down. I don't have any direct knowledge of that yet, but when I'm done installing the gauges I'll report on it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-09          57243

Thanks dcarp, it would be very interesting to hear about what exactly the egt's do with the edge installed. I am still getting my Cummins broken in. Later on I am thinking about an EZ or VA but have not decided on which. ....

View my Photos
Jelliott

2003-07-02          58717

Chief,

Your EGTs should not be a problem with just an EZ. I have an EZ and RV injectors on my '01 ETH, and even pulling ~10 - 12K up long grades, I can't get my EGTs (measured pre turbo) above 1250 or so. Bear in mind that I'm running the ETH (H.O.) version, and from what I have heard/read, the ETH is slightly more succeptable to high EGTs than the standard version. I did not add guages until after the EZ/injectors, so I don't know how the mods affected EGTs. I do know that I did not experience the increase in mileage others have reported. I have kept track of every gallon I've run thru my truck, and while the mods resulted in a VERY noticeable performance increase, my mileage did not change one bit.
Log onto the TDR (turbodieselrigister.com) and you can find enough reading on this subject to last till this time next year. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-02          58720

I think that 1250 is plenty of temp for a turbo for any longevity! ....

View my Photos
Jelliott

2003-07-02          58721

Art,

I'm not running at a constant 1250, that is the max temp I have ever seen - I was pulling a ~12K load up a long incline. EGT's do not get much over 1000 - 1100 under more normal operation conditions. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login