Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-22          46442

I took the plunge after my '94 Dakota started showing its age, cosmetically. Still mechanically very good. I looked at Chevys, too, but they were considerably more expensive, though they had better engine specs. Plus I have a prejudice for Dodges; this is my 6th Chrysler product.

Anyway, 2003 2wd Ram short bed, regular cab, 4.7 V-8 with 5-speed transmission, SLT package with Sport appearance group, and the 20" (!) wheel and tire package; 3.91 rear gears with limited slip.

I had to tow my TC29 with backhoe attached the other day; the Ram is definitely geared too tall with the big tires for towing that much (about 4000 lbs). Those tires are 31-1/2" tall! But it should handle the Farmall A (1600 lbs) fine for towing to the tractor pulls this summer.

Otherwise, it is really sweet. Brakes are excellent. Despite its size, it handles well; and it is quiet and very comfortable inside. Acceleration is adequate; the 4.7 sounds good and is really smooth. I had gotten used to my 318 Dakota with 3.55 rear, 5-sp, performance computer, headers and performance exhaust. The Ram has slighly less HP and 1000 pounds more weight, so I expected less acceleration. The 5.7 Hemi (~340 HP) is to be availabe in the 1500 Rams soon, but I couldn't wait; plus I don't know what transmission Dodge will pair it with, and how much $ they'll want for it. Speculation is that the Hemi will only be available in 4wd, at least for a time.

I just hope it is as durable and dependable as my Dakota was.

Bill

Link:   2003 Ram

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-22          46461

I would bet that your trailer and tractor weights combined are nudging 6000 pounds. That is pretty close to max for many 1/2 ton trucks.

Might want to check the Dodge towing specs for that model.

Your tires are tall but not much more than usual. My Tundra has 265-16's that are 30 inches and my old truck, a Tacoma had tires about the same height. My experience with Toyota's has been that they really don't loosen up and run good until they get about 20K on the clock. Don't know if Dodge would do the same, but you may get a little more umph after it breaks in some more. ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-22          46470

Mark,

I noticed that my Dakota took quite a while to loosen up, too. But I'd forgotten about that. Well, to be fair, since the Ram only has about 1000 miles on it, I didn't really put the hammer down when towing with it. It was a "family emergency" that required my backhoe, so I went. Instead of letting it pull hard, I just geared down and went slower. I would have much preferred to get a few thousand miles on it before towing.

Maybe the engine will liven up a bit in a few months, and later I'll add a K&N air filter that may help a wee bit. Still, I'm far from disappointed.

Bill ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-23          46491

Bill,

I hashed over the new HEMI and new body style before I bought my 2002 3/4 ton last February. With the rebates running at $2300.00 and good financing, plus the fact that I was able to trade my 2000 Toyota for just the difference in original sticker prices (moving up two years besides) I went for the old body style. The newly designed 3/4's weren't out until this fall but the sticker is around 2k more for about the same truck as mine. I read an independent test for towing and the 2003 3/4T Dodge was given the thumbs up for the best available truck for the job. I used to tow my 1977 25' Wellcraft Nova (twin v-8 Mer-cruiser out-drives) with my 3/4T 360 V-8 Dodge and had no problem whatsoever. That boat went around 8000 pounds with the trailer and 100 gallons of gas. I had 3.55 gearing I believe. It was not going to set a land speed record in acceleration but certainly was adequate to do the job. I think you will find the new truck will do what you want and probably get better gas mileage besides. Good luck. ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-23          46492

I hope that my next truck will be a 3/4 ton. At some point, I hope to get both a Farmall Super C and my Farmall A going to the pulls. I'll have to have a bigger truck and trailer to do it. And a bigger garage to put it in.

I mean over the next 10 years.

In the meanti....oops- I hear my wife coming. Got to go.

Bill

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
David Carpenter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-23          46502

When you buy the 3/4 ton go for the Cummins. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab shortbed. I have about 56,000 miles now and have added an Edge EZ chip to the truck. Now in daily driving, mixture of stop and go and freeway, I average between 17-19 MPG. When pulling my TC29 w/5'Bushhog and 7308 loader on a 20' gooseneck I average about 14-16 MPG. The truck pulls that combo without very easily. I doubt that any truck with any gas engine could duplicate that. ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
David Carpenter

2002-12-23          46503

That should have said pulls that stepup very easy, without any strain at all. ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-12-23          46504

David,
My gas motor may come close!
1991 Ford F-250 HD,460 CI gas,160,000 miles.
10 MPG empty.
5 MPG with 10,000 LB trailer (loaded).
Well on second thought maybe your right.(Hee,Hee) ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-24          46525

You are going to be pulling two tractors so a diesel makes sense. Unless you run plenty of miles, haul heavy loads or keep the truck for an extended period, I am not sure the diesel would pay for itself in fuel economy alone. That new HEMI is quite the power plant and achieves better gas mileage than the 360 it replaces. A mechanic at my selling dealer serviced the first one they received and said the power is awesome. I would certainly consider buying the Cummins if I had plenty of money to throw at the purchase when the time came though. So many choices, so many toys, just not enough time or $$$$ to get to them all! ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-24          46533

I'd like to have a diesel, or at least investigate it more, but have 2 problems with it immediately. First, it is a $6000 option on the Dodges; next, my garage is directly under my bedroom. It is not uncommon for me to get up and go to work before my wife does, I think the racket from starting it up would be pretty bad. A quibble, yes, but part of life. I think for my relatively light towing needs, the Hemi 5.7 would be keen.

Bill ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
Peters

2002-12-24          46536

Bill;
Early bed and early to rise make a man happy, wealth and wise. Does this not apply to a woman also?
In reality a diesel needs to be a long term investment like a tractor to pay. Your break even point for the truck is about 120K not considering a higher resale value. It is a bit of a commitment unless you are putting a lot on mile on the truck.
If you consider that my Dodge truck is near 20 mile/gallon with the lowest rear end available, 14-15 with the 5th wheel, this is about double the comparible gas powered towing rig.
Peters ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-12-27          46631

Bill, I have a 99 Dodge with Cummins, and I really like it. But it is noisy. The new 2003 Cummins are very quiet however. I would definately give these a look. They have more HP, burn cleaner, and are much quieter than earlier models. ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-12-28          46636

Thanks for the real-world opinions of the diesel Ram. Dr. Peters, as for my wife, rising early may or may not make her wealthy and wise, but is sure as heck doesn't make her happy!

Happy New Year to all.

Bill ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-28          46637

Just saw a picture of the new 2003 SRT-10. It has a ram air hood and a 500 HP VIPER V-10. The writeup states that the Ford lightning will not be its competition, the Corvette will. Can't wait to see one in person!!!! ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-28          46642

It will have one huge advantage over the Corvette, you can use it to bring groceries home.
If Dodge automatic transmissions are on the weak side with standard V-8's' I can't imagine what sort of interesting broken parts you could make with 500 horses twisting on it! ....

Bought a new Ram

View my Photos
cutter

2002-12-28          46645

I just haven't heard of any recent transmission problems, at least any more so than the other brands. The early automatics were having seal problems that were causing failure but that was eliminated with upgrades through the years. The new (2003)automatics are totally different animals, so time will tell just like any new offering. The truck I saw had a six speed floor mounted shifter that hearkened back to Road Runner days, I doubt you will tear that up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login