Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel fuel in winter time gels

View my Photos
Larry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-07          9498

This is my first winter with a TC29 and I'm learning every day about diesel engines.I'm told that diesel fuel will gell at around 17 degrees F. I'm also told to mix number 1 diesel with the number 2 diesel (about 50/50)I have and this will take care of the problem. Is this good advice? I will be moving snow this winter and it may be below 17 F.Also, can I mix brands of hydraulic fluid. The tractor came with NH fluid of course but I have a 2 gallon supply of John Deere fluid that I use in my 4020. Will it work in the TC20?Any advise will be appreciated

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-11-07          9500

Larry--if you purchase your winter diesel from a reputable truck stop or a filling station where large amounts of diesel fuel are sold in the winter, their diesel fuel should be winterized for your part of the country during the winter months. If this were not the case, there would be many tractor/trailer rigs out there stalled out with gelled fuel. Although the local Texaco and Conoco filling stations in the Kansas City area carry winterized diesel fuel during the winter months, the sales staff behind the counters rarely know when or how it was winterized. It is my belief that these companies order a winter blend of #1 and #2 diesel. Another solution is purchasing some Power Service (brand) Diesel Fuel Supplement that prevents gelling. ....

View my Photos
mario

1999-11-08          9509

I was told but I have not verified that it is a good practice. That in below zero (F) conditions 5% gas mixture is best. I have been told this by quite a few permafrost workers and do not have a clue as to what the trade offs are or if it is safe for compacts.mario ....

View my Photos
Ted

1999-11-08          9517

As a landscaper who uses a fleet of compacts (mostly Orange if it matters) that work all winter at snow removal, I can honestly say the ONLY fuel related problem I have EVER had have been water in the fuel freezing up. A good quality fuel conditioner fixes that pronto. My machines regularly work at temps. of -30deg. (at that point Centigrade or Farenheit is same thing). A block heater and two magnetic type heaters (small one for oil pan, larger one for trans.) and a battery heater, and they even start at that temperature. Only real concern is operator freeze-up........ Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
RMD

1999-11-08          9521

Rather than messing around with mixing fuels, just add a good conditioner that does at least these three things (1) reduce gel point; (2) disperses water; and (3) stabilizes the fuel. I use Stanadyne Performance Formula - you'll likely need to go to an injector shop or heavy equipment truck dealer to find it. other brands are sold in auto parts stores. ....

View my Photos
Norm

1999-11-09          9566

The only problem with mixing #1 is that you are going to reduce the horse power derived from the fuel. As stated, there are additives that reduces the cloud point without reducing the energy rating. I use DEE-ZOL+, there are others that I am not familiar with. ....

View my Photos
Bill

1999-12-16          11129

Larry,the poster who recomended to purchase at a truck stop is correct, however mixing No.1 (also known as Kerosene without the addatives) with No. 2 is exactly how things are winterized. It is not generally that high of a concentration (50%) but the No. 1 is lower in parafin, which is what gels in the winter. You will see a slight drop in HP, but not enough to worry about. Water is indeed a big problem, so drain your filter regularly, and do use a quality addative. It can make all the difference in the world, as most add lubricity and lower the gel point. Go with what a local trucking firm uses, although ones mentioned here are good too. ONE THING FOR SURE, NEVER EVER MIX deisel and Gas. Mixture can be explosive, and is SPECIFICALLY mentioned in my New Holland book, as one of the things not to do. Just because someone has gotten away doing something for a long time, doesn't mean it will not explode in their face someday, litterally! Bill

View my Photos
Scott

1999-12-17          11180

Question: If my diesel fuel does happen to jel during a cold snap, will it "thaw" if the temp rises and still be okay to use? Or, once jelled, should it be drained from the tractor? Also, as a neophite diesel tractor owner, how often have most people found water to be a problem in diesel fuel? I buy strictly from a very busy truck stop and I keep the tractor tank full. Should this limit the problem? ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-12-17          11185

Scott--you should be OK because you purchase diesel that is fresh and where over the road truckers purchase their diesel. However, it would be even safer to add a winter diesel fuel supplement that is a fuel conditioner to prevent it from gelling as well as to remove any water. Gelled fuel cannot be drained while it is too thick. According to the directions on the diesel fuel supplement that I use, it can be added to gelled fuel and it will reliquify the fuel, even in the fuel lines, but I would rather not take the chance or wait for that to happen.
Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Scott

1999-12-17          11198

Mike S. - Thanks for the info, Mike. I've seen the fuel additives at the local JD store but wondered if they're more precautionary or a good regular practice in winter. This will be my first winter with the tractor but since it's been such a mild season so far, I've hardly had to worry about it. I think I will pick up an additive and give it a try, especially since I'm more concerned about water in the fuel than the gel problem, per se. Thanks again. Scott ....

View my Photos
wade

1999-12-17          11206

Greetings from Minnesota. I must agree that is not a good idea to mix gasoline with diesel fuel to stop gelling. In cold weather, the 50/50 blend is the way to go, and that is from experience with heavy equipment down to smaller diesel engines. Over the road truckers can get by with different things than the off road people as many of them have tank heaters that allow their fuel to flow. In the cold weather, use winter blend AND fuel conditioner especially if you park your tractor in a heated area after it is cold. This will cause condensation internally throughout your tractor. The horsepower drop between #1 and #2 is there but is negligable, especially when considering the gelled up alternative. I am curious what part of the country you are in. Best of luck, Wade

View my Photos
tom

1999-12-18          11212

I'm curious which conditioner can be added to gelled fuel. The several brands
available at a local dealer need to be added to fuel in fairly warm weather. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-12-18          11216

While I cannot personally vouch for it actual capabilities, I use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement just as a precaution in the winter months. According to its label, it can be used all year around to disperse water, maintain clean injectors and reduce pump and injector wear. If treatment is delayed in the winter until fuel filters have pluged or fuel has gelled in the tanks, then 32 ounces of this supplement is added to each 25 gallons of fuel in the tanks. Also the fuel filter needs to be removed and filled with the supplement and reinstalled. Except for the water removal, I doubt if I actually need the supplement in the Kansas City area since I purchase winter blended diesel fuel at a truck stop. I have no personal bias toward or against any particular winter fuel supplement--it isn't like picking a brand of oil (if you have been reading that thread on this bulletin board;-)
Mike S. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-20          11323

Larry,
To my knowledge, every fluid has potential to become a solid. Doubt freezing would have a permanant effect on its molecular make-up. As far as mixing gas and Diesel..Big no..no! It does thin the fuel, in more ways than one. First, Diesel contains Cetane, Gasoline contains Octane..Of which are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. As Cetane rise, Octane falls. Therefore, in this example, you create water'd down Diesel fuel with a higher flash point. Resulting in early/premature DETONATION, resulting in high soot & oil contamination levels from unburned Fuel. I'm not sure why, but Mario is far from the first person to hear of this...The only explaination I have is that guys in the Permafrost region may not have easy access to conditioners..hence the reason for its use.
My father in law, who on occasion uses Heating Fuel in his VW Rabbit Diesel had a problem with Diesel gel. Got in my truck to Buy a can of conditioner at the local truck stop, 1/2 to 1 hour later, all was well again. So it does appear to work rather quickly. I never had a problem here in E.PA. Of Course, other than wind chill, it rarely drops below 0 here. ....

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2000-01-17          12034

Well fellas, it finally happened. Zero degrees at 10:00 am. I started up the Cub this AM and it would barely run. Upon inspecting the fuel filter bowl assembly guess what - gelled up solid. I was able to coax it into the garage and disassemble and clean it.

Got me to thinking when was the last time I drained water out of the fuel tank. Guess it was too long. When reassembled it ran fine. We'll see about tomorrow- it's supposed to be -10 tonight. ....

View my Photos
Tom G

2000-01-21          12136

Fortunate I found out about disel gelling before winter. So far, the additives
seem to work and we've broke -20 F.

One thing I'm not clear on is if gelled disel ungells when it get warmer. We're expected to be in the neighbourhood of -30 F the next couple of days. I put a can of fuel in the basement just to be sure I'd have something clear and liquid. I'd just as soon not keep 10 gal of disel in the basement if all I have to do is warm it up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login