Go Bottom Go Bottom

If you own a diesel truck you should read this

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-14          54863

The following is copied directly off the John Deere web site:

John Deere Company guarantees Plus-50 Engine Oil will meet or exceed the performance needs of diesel engines. Regardless of hours or miles, John Deere Company will pay for any damages (parts and labor) to your engine which are caused by an oil defect so long as:

The oil defect is verified by oil analysis.
The engine oil used is confirmed to be unadulterated and non-contaminated Plus-50.
Plus-50 meets the engine manufacturer’s specifications for the service and application.
The engine is used under normal operating conditions and maintained according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
To secure warranty service, report the product failure to an authorized John Deere Dealer.

To make a claim under this warranty, it will be necessary to provide the following, as part of the technical investigation:

Records showing that the engine was serviced according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Submit an oil sample for the failed engine for analysis to determine if oil is defective.
Make available the failed engine.
John Deere disclaims all liability for indirect or consequential damages.

Your rights and remedies pertaining to this warranty are limited as set forth herein. Implied warranties of merchantability and fitness are not made and are excluded.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
slowrev
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-14          54866

Mark,
I wonder what the definition of defective oil is ? In my experience most engine failures occur for the following reasons.

1. Poor maintenance. ie not changing the oil when you should, or not keeping the oil or coolant up to the proper level.
2. Overworking the engine. which can overheat the oil causing breakdown of the oils properties. would this be defective oil or normal for the oil if it is exposed to abnormal conditions ?
3. Defects in manufacturing or design of the engine.

Just curious, It sounds like Deere has its bases covered from a legal aspect, but then the Deere lawyers seem to be a very important part of their corporation :)

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-14          54874

Quaker State has a similar program for gas engines.

I guess what it really means is that modern oils are so good, especially the synthetics, that the purveyors of the oil feel comfortable issuing a wear-out warranty for virtually anybodies engine.

What that means to me is that reasonable care and quality oils should get us 250,000+ miles out of our gasoline engines and many thousands of hours out of our diesels. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-14          54875

Actually the key is the term "caused by an oil defect". What they are saying in legalese is that if a batch of Deere oil was defective, and that batch made it to the shelves at your local Green store and the OIL causes your diesel engine to retire early, they will pay to fix it.

News flash folks, that is called liability, if ANY manufacturer puts out a product that is labelled to say it meets "standard X" and it doesn't and that results in damage to your property they are liable for that damage, PERIOD. No fancy web pages required, just good old common law.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-05-14          54876

I might add...if Quaker State's oil, or any other brand, didn't live up to their warranty, you'd be hard pressed to prove it was the oil that did your engine in.

Just like the time a friend's engine was severely damaged by a collapsed Fram oil filter. The mechanic contacted Fram. Fram said send the filter in to them. Fram says nope, wasn't the oil filter. End of story.

Billy ....

View my Photos
slowrev
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-14          54881

Yes without a qualified legally recognized third party to resolve the dispute it is the old fox guarding the henhouse story. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-14          54884

I copied a paragraph from my post that lives in another active thread on the board, but fits this one too;

As far as that J/D oil is concerned Mark, I am not so sure an engine failure due to oil defect in a well maintained machine is much of an issue. If I were going to buy into a plan, I think the one Quaker State offers for free as long as you use their oil is less restrictive and certainly would cost less (because their oils cost less). It does not require that the oil be defective to pay out either.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login