Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-30          43138

I was working filling in UG electrical lines on Sat. After the hurricane and 8" of rain it was a little muddy to say the least.
I finished and went to pull the FEL off to mow the lawn. Naturally the plugs for the quick connects were dirty. My question is what idiot designs these plugs with the deep hole in the middle to collect mud? I understand injection molding but still can not understand why they can not design a better plug that will not collect a load of mud.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-01          43150

I guess those are what I'd call female quick connect dust covers. I don't have an explanation. I also can't figure out why I put the chains that are on the male end dust covers over the lines and leave the covers dangling around in the dirt and grease when the lines are connected. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense because I just end up having to clean out the dust covers when I disconnect the lines. Oh well, I guess that dense can be a full-time occupation and if so I'll never be without work.

I imagine that case could be made that the purpose of dust covers is to protect the fittings against minor dings that would prevent the fitting from making good seals rather than keeping the parts clean. I know that thread protectors are used on our township fire-hoses because if you drop a hose-end on a rock you may not be able to connect the hose. However, this too is a devil's advocate position.

I’ll add to the subject of dense by mentioning that I trenched for an UG line between house and a shed. I wanted to minimize hand shovel work so I backed the tractor up close the house and dug a pit to work in and started the trench. Then I did the same at the shed and continued the trench with the idea of joining the two. Just before passing a point of no return, I asked myself ‘If you join the two trenches, then how are you going to get the tractor off the trench that now runs underneath it. ‘ Didn’t know the answer so I drove off and finished the trench by hand, which probably was more work then digging one work pit.

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-01          43155

You don't connect the plugs together when you use the FEL? Mine has females on the FEL and males on the tractor. If you connect the two then nothing can get in the holes.

Billy ....

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-10-01          43158

Yea Peters, I know what you mean. I asked that question 20 years ago.

Turns out that TomG and Billy are both correct. and there is one more thing.

Some of these plugs, are made with pin holes to keep leaked oil inside the plug when it is attached, from warming in the sun, and building pressure high enough to "pop it off"

Two old farmer tricks I use is keeping a can of ether in the toolbox. I know it's expensive, amd flamable, but it makes great solvent to clean the plugs and the couplers without damaging the rubber. I only use it when they are extremly dirty. I also keep rags in there in a coffee can that I keep moist with deisel fuel for the less extreme cases. ....

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-01          43176

Currently it only takes a coupole of minutes to remove and mount the loader. It some times takes me 15 minutes to clean the inside of the 4 male rubber covers so that I can insert them into the holes. I am not keen on getting dirt into my hydraullic system (see loader leak down posts).
It is relatively easy to clean the out side of the plug. I keep a rag handy and can easily wipe the out sides, but depending on how much mudding I have done the inside is almost impossible to clean fully.
I find it frustrating that JD and others can spend so much money and design time to make the loader and other implements snop on and off but can not spend an extra buck on the plugs. 30 years ago this may have been difficult to do now if it is easy. If they can do a 2 shot for your tooth brush why not the plugs?
I would set up a machine and run them at home if they provided the money for the equipment. ....

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
Billy

2002-10-01          43188

I must be missing your point Peters. I have a JD and don't have this problem. Just connect the plugs together. I can't see it getting any simplier than it is now. ....

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-01          43191

My tractor has a set of 4 female plugs into which the 4 male plugs for the FEL insert. I think this is pretty standard for the factory FEL with the joy stick mounted on the tractor.
When the FEL is mounted the caps for the connectors dangle in the mud. They are located below the step on the left hand side of the tractor. ....

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
Billy

2002-10-01          43200

Ok, same here but can't you connect the plugs together to keep the mud out?

Billy ....

Hydraullic line plugs

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-02          43207

Bill's is an interesting thought. I've never thought if the two covers could be pushed and would stay together. I'll give it a try on my rear outlets, which have female covers.

I don't have female covers on the loader valve since something always is connected. My loader valve has the female connectors while the males are on the hoses. The valve mounts in the open near the steering wheel, and I thing male connectors sticking up would have a chance of being broken off. The close quarters of the female connectors on the valve can make holding down the ring to make the connection a little difficult. I guess the reversing the connectors is better for a valve with a joystick linkage. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login